Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear shock bolt too short

Dave D

Rearshocklowerbolttooshort.jpg.c951a89c9d7c319452357beff6791182.jpg

Just want to confirm the lower rear shock bolt is too short as per this article:

I have a 2022 Tenere 700 UK model and found the same problem. I ordered a replacement bolt here:

Racetorx Banjo Bolt. The Racetorx lower shock bolt is designed to replace the OEM bolt on the Yamaha Tenere700 and World Raid. With the original bolt 3mm

14000 miles on mine, mostly road, and the black oxide layer on the bolt has worn away off-center. Luckily the holes are not oval yet. Just discovered in time by the look of it. I did the linkage lube shortly after I bought the bike new and didn't notice the short plain section on the bolt then. Many of us may have missed this. Shout out to Rodney Faggotter for spotting this. Thanks mate.

Check yours and post findings here. I think we might all have the same fault.

• Thanks 2

Additional: The short plain section of the bolt is not just due to the RR after market shock having thicker yolk sides. It doesn't. The stock KYB shock also has the same problem.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Rearshocklowerbolttooshort.jpg.c951a89c9d7c319452357beff6791182.jpg

Just want to confirm the lower rear shock bolt is too short as per this article:

I have a 2022 Tenere 700 UK model and found the same problem. I ordered a replacement bolt here:

Racetorx Banjo Bolt. The Racetorx lower shock bolt is designed to replace the OEM bolt on the Yamaha Tenere700 and World Raid. With the original bolt 3mm

14000 miles on mine, mostly road, and the black oxide layer on the bolt has worn away off-center. Luckily the holes are not oval yet. Just discovered in time by the look of it. I did the linkage lube shortly after I bought the bike new and didn't notice the short plain section on the bolt then. Many of us may have missed this. Shout out to Rodney Faggotter for spotting this. Thanks mate.

Check yours and post findings here. I think we might all have the same fault.

I've recently ordered that bolt as well, but haven't checked or installed it yet. I'm running Tractive rear suspension as well, it should look identical to yours.

Will post an update here soon!

• Like 1

I swapped out to a rear Ohlins shock and swapped out to the RaceTorx lower shock bolt

The oem shock and bolt was just about ok, length wise 

No way would it have been long for the Ohlins 

Also got a nice RaceTorx Titanium rear axle nut to go with my red anodised Gilles rear axle adjusters 

Edited by JB700
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 12:07 PM, JB700 said:

I swapped out to a rear Ohlins shock and swapped out to the RaceTorx lower shock bolt

The oem shock and bolt was just about ok, length wise 

No way would it have been long for the Ohlins 

Also got a nice RaceTorx Titanium rear axle nut to go with my red anodised Gilles rear axle adjusters 

Good move. The new bolt is a far superior beasty to the original. Kind of important that one!

I couldn't see the titanium axle nut on the Racetorx site. Any clues on suppliers? Thanks.

The thing to highlight here is that the bolt length overall is fine. It is the plain section forming the actual bearing surface that is short on one side. Long term it is likely to cause the holes in the shock yolk and maybe even the cantilever to become oval.

I'm surprised this hasn't been flagged up more as it seems to me to be quite a significant defect. I guess most T7's will be long in the tooth before any damage becomes apparent. Or I'm just such a nerd and I'm just nit-picking too much! LOL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave D said:

Good move. The new bolt is a far superior beasty to the original. Kind of important that one!

I couldn't see the titanium axle nut on the Racetorx site. Any clues on suppliers? Thanks.

The thing to highlight here is that the bolt length overall is fine. It is the plain section forming the actual bearing surface that is short on one side. Long term it is likely to cause the holes in the shock yolk and maybe even the cantilever to become oval.

I'm surprised this hasn't been flagged up more as it seems to me to be quite a significant defect. I guess most T7's will be long in the tooth before any damage becomes apparent. Or I'm just such a nerd and I'm just nit-picking too much! LOL.

The Titanium rear axle bolt isn’t listed on their website 

You have to message the owner or speak to him direct,  for the titanium stuff

Excellent quality it is too 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I ordered that bolt through their US distributor, EDR Performance in Oregon, but it isn't listed on their website.   The price shipped saved a couple of bucks, but you'll need to time your order with theirs from Racetorx as EDR does not keep those in stock.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just replaced the OEM bolt for the Racetorx, too. No problems with the shock eyelet or any other parts, but the OEM screw indeed shows wear mostly on the outer edge close to the thread. On hard jumps (not done that yet) it might indeed cause problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, Tenerider said:

Just replaced the OEM bolt for the Racetorx, too. No problems with the shock eyelet or any other parts, but the OEM screw indeed shows wear mostly on the outer edge close to the thread. On hard jumps (not done that yet) it might indeed cause problems.

Good move. Quite a surprise to see it on a 2022 model as the article that brought it to light was posted about a year ago and it has not been rectified by Yamaha yet. Guess they have a load of these stock bolts that fit other bikes and just went with it as it initially looks OK as it sticks out the other side enough for the nut to thread properly. Let's keep an eye out for the "clunking sound from the rear shock" posts in the future eh! 

• Like 1