Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Warm in February

Hibobb

Weather got up to 54F yesterday. Generally this month is sub zero for us.

It was a chance to get the old 1999 DR350 out, I love that old bike. Air-cooled cockroach... will be around for ever!

Crazy weather is a bit un-nerving. We had a tornado in Wisconsin (USA) last night, the first one in history (In February).

Maybe someone better start listening to that Swedish kid (Greta T.)

Scary to see the changes that are happening in my lifetime....

dr350.jpg.3c840fc662c0a52ad5ea825f184c32d4.jpg

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

In my hometown, about 60 - 70 mls south of the danish border, we had a little snow and temperatures around 0 °C ( ~32 °F). Down south they had rain and nearly 16 °C (~58 °F).

I don't panic about climate changes. That seems to be normal in the history of the earth. It happens a little too fast as I can remember when in the winter time we had usually down to -20 °C (~-5 °F) and a lot of snow. That was in the 60's and 70's.

I can live w/o the low temperatures and snow but nature struggles with that warm winters. I can see that. Strange insects partly from the mediterranian and some kind of trees die from deseases caused by the lack of low temperatures during the winter.

IMG_20240209_121139.jpg

• Like 1

The DR350, the best trail bike going, bitterly regret selling mine, had some great days out on it, a '94 kick start onlyIMG_3007.JPG.c359829a2fa0d90219a16d90e603556d.JPGIMG_3091.JPG.380fe3b65ac4830e15724573e0cad0e9.JPGIMG_3092.JPG.5348f78de53663d250857d81a62a5b33.JPG

• Like 1

@Mike99 I totally agree! I have a '92 kick-start bike in the garage also. New in '92 I took it to Colorado and took it everywhere my buddies with MX bikes could go. I did have to change to a smaller countershaft sprocket, as at 10,000 feet the motor was wheezing a bit. I love those bikes! Did you ever watch Mondo Enduro? 44,000 mile around the world on DR350's. This was years before Ewan McGregor did it, and these guys had no sponsorship. That movie is only second to On Any Sunday for real life truths. Here is a clip... Simply Fantastic!!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I ran mine in a few enduros and it kept up with the orange gang no problem, mondo enduro was a great show, no support crew just some guys going round the world on DRs, they cut sprockets out of scrap metal with a gas axe, it's  well worth a watch if anyone hasn't seen it

We've had a very average summer here in my part of Oz.

Normal run of warm weather followed by some 40°C days.

Slightly below average rainfall.

Same as  I remember in the '60s and '70s

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I too took advantage of unseasonably mild weather in the mid-Atlantic area to try out a new tent, with the RT taking me on a nice 450-mile loop over the past two days to a remote state park campground in the western Maryland mountains. 

As expected, excellent twisty roads in MD and WV did not disappoint although a few still had remnants of light gravel laid down from past snow storms. While a few roads unexpectedly turned to dirt while crossing WV mountain ridges and would have been more fun on the T7, I took it very easy there and the RT did fine. An overnight low of 36 F with rain and not another sole around, with white noise from numerous cascading mountain streams emptying into the lake, made for a relaxing getaway.  And the innovative tent (OneTigris Tetra 160) is a winner.

20240208_170217.jpg.bae9c14888a4b161249e884fd1e588f1.jpg20240208_170241.jpg.224d6c16ea20e18e00299d6ba0d3b6d6.jpg

• Like 2

@jdub53 excellent opportunity to camp in PA in February.  Got to be happy with that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@jdub53 Good for you as many of us are " riding" vicariously through you right now. Below is a view out our back yard, over a foot of the white stuff in the past 3 days.

20240209_092541.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

@jdub53 Good for you as many of us are " riding" vicariously through you right now. Below is a view out our back yard, over a foot of the white stuff in the past 3 days.

20240209_092541.jpg

Wow, who'd of thunk that - snow in AZ while I'm riding and camping in February around the PA/WV/MD mountains.  Full disclosure though; I just moved more firewood up to the house for use in the woodburner next week when winter temps are forecast to return.

@jdub53 You earned a lot respect, that you road and camped in that weather! Well Done...

• Thanks 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~