Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS light trouble

TheoremX

Question

So last year I had my banjo bolt come loose while riding the t7 down a dirt road. Lost all my braking pressure in the rear brake, and quite a bit of fluid. Sucked a bunch of air through the line and the ABS/Check engine came on, probably as a result on the loss of fluid ( I didnt notice the leak until my braking in the rear became super mushy and i already lost a decent amount of fluid). I ended up making a post about it in here and found out it was the banjo bolt and tightened that up, refilled with fluid and the rear brake worked okay. Fast forward to now, I bled the front and rear brakes, filled the respective reservoirs to the fill line, swapped the ABS fuse, cleared the check engine light, but the main ABS light still wont go off after 10 miles or so. Is there a special procedure I am missing? Or any tips overall on how I can fix this issue? Would love to have my ABS on road again. Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

• Moderators

Whenever I have a problem after performing any maintenance, I try to put it back to the last configuration where it worked.  First thing I'd rule out is the new fuse.  Was the old one bad or did you change it as a preventative measure?  Maybe try the old one again, maybe the " new" one is defective.  You could also check it with an Ohm meter, but swapping for one that did work is just as effective. 

You didn't mention it, but have you consulted the Service Manual? There's an entire section starting on page 8-97 on the ABS system that should help. Let us know what you figure out.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/664-service-manual/#comment-8895

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Whenever I have a problem after performing any maintenance, I try to put it back to the last configuration where it worked.  First thing I'd rule out is the new fuse.  Was the old one bad or did you change it as a preventative measure?  Maybe try the old one again, maybe the " new" one is defective.  You could also check it with an Ohm meter, but swapping for one that did work is just as effective. 

You didn't mention it, but have you consulted the Service Manual? There's an entire section starting on page 8-97 on the ABS system that should help. Let us know what you figure out.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/664-service-manual/#comment-8895

I tried it with the original fuse still in, and then the spare (both after bleeding and refilling reservoirs). I might try and give the computer some more time to do its thing. I just don’t know if the ABS light will go off on its own even if all the issues are resolved. I’ll check the manual. I’ll try both fuses with a multimeter as well. 

• Like 1

The ABS light will go off after you turn off the ignition and turn it back on again. There is no delay or need to ride any distance other than the usual 50 feet or so. If it stays on longer than that, you have some kind of fault. 

Also, I have had a couple of fuses fail will still looking good and testing OK with an Ohm meter. They were unable to pass any reasonable amount of current. 

My guess is that they had a poor weld internally and current heated them up until they moved far enough to break the connection, just like a thermal switch. 

• Like 1