Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Owners of K-Tech and RR OC, speak up!

beakster

Hi gents!

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my T7 and I'm considering two options -

the K-Tech kit of pistons/shims OR the Rally Raid open cartridge kit + a re-valved rear shock (prolly K-Tech). 

I assume there are people here who have tried both, your shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that I don't want to build a rally bike, I want a comfy ride. I love gravel roads and the occasional

light off-road, but the standard suspension makes me think sinful thoughts about selling my T7.

P.S. I already have springs for my weight but they didn't give the result that I wanted.

Edited by beakster

I have the K-Tech front and rear.

Rear is good but front is a little harsh in the initial part of the stroke unless being pushed hard.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I have K-tech, (springs, and valving). I really like it, my suspension guy got it set up correct the first time. No complaints. I was going to get some cartridges, but these work fine, and the cost was cheaper than I thought it was going to be. The only issue that may arise, my bike sits higher (not an issue for me, but some might like it). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 174ktm said:

I have K-tech, (springs, and valving). I really like it, my suspension guy got it set up correct the first time. No complaints. I was going to get some cartridges, but these work fine, and the cost was cheaper than I thought it was going to be. The only issue that may arise, my bike sits higher (not an issue for me, but some might like it). 

Cheers man!

Yes, I noticed the ride height when I changed the springs. Mine are from Off-the-road.de from Germany but I think they are the same as K-Tech's.

I'm a relatively tall guy (187cm) and it's not necessarily a problem, but I would prefer the bike to stay at the standard height.

That's one reason why I'm considering Rally Raid's setup, as I believe their springs are the same as the standard ones.

51 minutes ago, beakster said:

Cheers man!

Yes, I noticed the ride height when I changed the springs. Mine are from Off-the-road.de from Germany but I think they are the same as K-Tech's.

I'm a relatively tall guy (187cm) and it's not necessarily a problem, but I would prefer the bike to stay at the standard height.

That's one reason why I'm considering Rally Raid's setup, as I believe their springs are the same as the standard ones.

I've got the Rally Raid 35 mm open cartridge fork kit (gen 1) w/6.0 Nm fork springs & RR 90 Nm rear spring for the std T7 which really transformed the bike (185 cm & 200kg w/riding gear)...RR developed an new compression piston in early 2022 designed to increase compression oil flow by about 30% making initial movement more plush & revised recommended damping settings substantially softer, in an effort to improve & broaden the already dynamic operating range.  My full review, which includes differences between RR & K-Tech springs, can be viewed on my blog here

• Like 1

I have the K-tech fork cartridge kit with a Penske Rear shock.  The K-Tech cartridges are AWESOME!!  I run the 6.9 springs  and slightly higher oil level than Ktech suggested.  

The K-Tech 20IDS adventure cartridges have been designed for adventure type motorcycles. They are manufactured in the UK using the highest quality materials and processes. The replacement cartridges feature compression...

• Like 2

I also just went for a 1st ride with the full Ktech cart kit and rebuilt OEM shock with Ktech's rebuild kit.  So far the bike is transformed!  After just a few miles of paved roads I hit a rocky railroad grade right away at speed and was pleasantly surprised how smooth and stable the bike was and how well it tracked.  Im only 1- 100 mile ride in so I have a lot more testing and set-up to do but so far I'm overly pleased with the large chunk of money I exchanged for these! (and I'm not the type of person to rave about a product just because I spent a lot of money on it to make myself feel better like so many do.  If it's good I'll say it.  If it sucks I'll say that too)

As others have stated with the Ktech forks, I also have felt some sort of harshness in the earlier part of the stroke.  I'm still putting my finger on what I think it is and am definitely not jumping to conclude the forks overall are more harsh than OEM.  It's not as straightforward as that because as I feel that I notice at the exact same time they are buttery smooth with how they track.  Seems a little contradicting but it's hard to explain.  To me they feel great on very small size stuff, a little harsher on medium size stuff and back to great on rough stuff- BUT, all while maintaining the bike perfectly balanced and tracking straight as an arrow.  To compare, while the OEM might be a little less harsh on some of the medium size terrain, it does so kinda bouncing you all around and not tracking very straight or smoothly.  I'm not mincing words, yes there is something about how the OEM forks may be softer but less smooth/ competent all at the same time compared to the Ktech.  I suppose somewhat like how a 100% off-road bike will feel much rougher than a big ADV bike while being way more smooth and competent off-road.  Anyway, maybe I'll dig more into this later on.

• Like 1