Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Three in one wheel tool.

Allen Kelly

How much moola including delivery?

I usually make up my own "all in one" wheel spanners for my bikes but I won't bother if the price is right.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

Hey Whitey, The tool cost $31;04 Aud. with $19;89 standard delivery. The delivery took just over a week if they have them in stock apparently they are very much in demand but I think well worth having for our bikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

thanks for all your support from everyone here at Rally Raid Products, the 3-in-1 spanner was the first thing we made for the T7, I couldn't believe Yamaha don't supply anything to remove wheels.

As a tip, undo the front spindle & rear axle nut in the workshop, even using a socket &bar as they can be very tight from the dealer, then re-tighten both axles using the new tool, to hand tight(I use my boot to lever the tool) and then on the trail if you need to remove a wheel, it will be possible to undo them.

Are they available in the US?  

2 hours ago, Craig Sturman said:

Are they available in the US?  

I am in Australia and had to import it but well worth do so. Nothing else like it on the market. Rally Raid ship all over the world.

7 hours ago, Bror said:

Yes is it awesome, but where du you put the bugger on the bike?

Where do you put anything on this bike. I carry mine in my back pack. 

• Like 1

Mine turned up this week, only took 2 days thanks. It does look a quality tool. Now just wish my bike would turn up..... 

• Confused 1

I have unfortunate news about the three in one tool. I loosened both the front axle hex bolt and the rear with a breaker bar and socket and then tightened them back up with the Rally Raid tool. Unfortunately I found that I needed to use it the other day out on the track and because of the angle of the bike the only way I could get pressure on the tool to release the hex nut was to use my foot. The unfortunate part of this was that because of the angle I was on once I put pressure on the tool which was slightly sideways the shaft of the tool bent. Not badly but bent just the same. There is an easy fix to this I think and that is to weld a small metal spine along the shaft to the hex socket and tacking it to the hex socket as well. This I will do over the next couple of days and post up the results.  

IMG_1346.jpg

• Like 2

Have one on order and will make the "spine adjustment" you recommended prior to a weekend warrior outing! Thanks for sharing Allen!

• Like 2

Have contacted Rally Raid about this issue?

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

As soon as my new TIG  welder arrives i'll be  building my own from spare sockets and parts that I already have. The main body will be made from an old chrome vanadium spanner so it definitely won't bend like that. The 19mm hex for the front wheel will be via an old 5/8 spark plug socket that fits perfectly into the axle and the 27mm and 10mm sockets will be fashioned onto the spanner somehow😆

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

I did This is a copy of the email I sent to them  (Good morning guys I hope you are all healthy in this terrible time. My name is Allen Kelly from my account I received my 3 in one T7 tool and just went and attempted to use it on my bike. Unfortunately when I was required to use a bit of effort on the front axle I have bent it. It wasn’t unnecessary force but enough as you would expect loosening an axle. I have spent a bit of time looking at the tool and I think that it needs a rib of metal welded along the shaft between the 2 ends to the hex key I don’t think it would need to be a large piece but just enough to brace the hex key and that should reinforce the whole tool. The socket for the rear axle worked fine as well as the front socket.  I would be interested in your opinion Regards, Allen.)

and this is their reply. As well as my reply to them.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, 23 March 2020 9:50 PM
To: allenandjuliekelly@outlook.com
Subject: spanner

Hi Allen,

We advise customers, in the description of all our spanners, to use a workshop socket and bar, if required, to initially break the tightness, as some of the dealers really overtighten the spindles.

Then re-tighten, using the tool, and just hand tight, or use your boot for a bit extra pressure.

NOTE: Due to the front axle spindle  and rear axle nut often being overtightened during PDI at dealers, it is recommended to undo them first, in the workshop, using a socket and bar, if needed, then re-tighten them HAND TIGHT using the new tool. This way, if you do need to remove a wheel on the trail, it will be possible to undo them by hand.

Regards

John Mitchinson

Rally-Raid Products Ltd

Unit 14C, Raymond Close

WOLLASTON
Northants

NN29 7RG

My reply.

(Yep, I am aware of all that and that is exactly what was done to my bike I am not trying to lay blame or anything like that my goal was just to inform you that the tool has bent as I put my foot on it to loosen the hex nut after it had been released initially. Because of the angle I had to stand to free the nut my boot was slightly sideways and that was all it took to bend. I have been a bike rider for near on fifty years and in that time I have learnt how to operate my tools.) 

On 3/18/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ktmmitch said:

a brief video of our tool in action

It's a 19mm hex, not 17mm. Well mine is anyway.

The recommended torque for the rear axle nut is 105 Nm, I can't see how you could achieve this with this tool by hand? Could someone please let me know how long this spanner is so I can work it out exactly?

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

It's a 19mm hex, not 17mm. Well mine is anyway.

The recommended torque for the rear axle nut is 105 Nm, I can't see how you could achieve this with this tool by hand? Could someone please let me know how long this spanner is so I can work it out exactly?

You're correct, it is a 19mm hex.

As for the recommended torques, forget it, just tighten them up as much as possible by hand, otherwise you will never get them undone on the trail, which is when you would need the tool in an emergency.

As a rule, we prepare all our rally bikes, KTM 690 etc, before an event with just the tools we carry on the bike, otherwise you'd be stuck in the middle of nowhere with either the wrong tool, no tool, or too tight because you used a workshop wrench.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have come up with a solution of how to first release the front axle Hex nut if like me you don’t have a 19mm hex key. All you need to do is slip a 19mm ring spanner over the hex part of the 3 way tool then place the hex key into the slot and using your boots to push down on the ring spanner not the 3 way tool. Once it is released tighten it up by hand with the 3 way tool lock the 2 locking bolts and you are right to go. For myself when I go on a long trip I probably will pack the ring spanner as well just to be on the safe side.

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

Edited by Allen Kelly
  • Like 3

Great idea, I will use that myself in the workshop to do the initial undoing of the axle, as some of the T7's we've had have been very tight from dealer.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

In regards to where to store this or any tools on the bike, I came up with a solution: Duck taped three spoons and the RR tool to the frame, underneath the plastic.

Yes, all plastics will have to be taken off to get the tools out, but I only need these if I get a flat, which luckily doesnt happen too often.

I tried to get the tools in the Klim tool pak I store underneath the rally seat, but it wasnt possible in a neat way.

Johannes.

CE4D917E-D2E5-46EB-AFCD-B4099F2FB3B6.jpeg

The 3 in 1 tool fits under the seat, I’ve got it fitted between the battery section and tail section.

If you play around you can get quite a bit under the seat. I’ve managed to fit a 12v compressor, repair kit, bead buddy, rim protectors, Beadpro levers plus 3rd lever and a small tool kit.

......and I hope I never have to use any of it 😎

• Like 3

On 3/17/2020 at 9:38 PM, Bror said:

Yes is it awesome, but where du you put the bugger on the bike?

It fits under the cross member behind the battery and on top of the mudguard. Wrapped in a rag it doesn't move.

• Like 1