Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2024 model accessory plugs- 2 pin? 3 pin?

zimm

Are the accessory plugs under the fairings in a '24 the 3 pin or 2 pin? I've seen articles and YouTube showing both styles.  I want to run Oxford grips and my Garmin Zumo of one side.  Driving lights someday on the other.

Buy 5 Sets 2 Pin Electronic Female and Male Automotive Connector Auto Household Connector Crimp Terminal Connector DJY7021A-2.3-11/21: Connector - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible...

or

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799817668453

• Moderators

@zimm Welcome to the forum. This thread should help as I believe that the 24' wiring is basically the same as previous years, with the exception of an option for the quick shifter on the 2024.

The video in the 4th post shows the 2 & 3 wire connectors at 1:59.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Posted (edited)

Thanks, that's what I needed. So the 2 pin is 2 amps, prefect for the Garmin, and 3 pin is 10 amps, good for heated grips, lights, etc.  I'll order up both kinds of connectors.

Now to figure out which R/W wire I use on the 3 pin....

image.png.d303282dad45cba3711f8056f99a0931.png

Edited by zimm

Posted (edited)

I got the side panels off and don't see any rectangle 2 pin plugs not being used.  I see both 3 pin plugs with rubber caps.  Maybe the USB port in the dash is using one of them?  None on the left side only the triangle plug

Library - 1 of 2.jpeg

Library - 2 of 2.jpeg

Edited by zimm

20 minutes ago, zimm said:

Nobody?

Did u find this post?

possibly no 2 pin plugs- I’m pretty sure from what I’ve read the ‘24 dropped the spare 2 pin plugs 

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

No I didn't see that. But I think that's the answer. Glad I bought whole baggie of 2 prong plugs off Amazon. Now to wait on the 3 prong ones to arrive.

I just splurged on a '24 service manual. There's too much electrical changes over the free 2020 manual thanks linked here in the forum.

Could you not split one of the 3’s into 2 x 2’s?

im sure someone make a pre-made loom for this

Posted (edited)

I'm going to make my own harness. I ordered a baggie of plugs and pins. I was just hoping to finish the project today and go riding tomorrow. But I'll have to wait another day on Amazon.  But yes, there's 2 hot wires on the 3 pin and a single ground. So by putting 2 ground wires into the one pin (if they'll fit) I can run 2 devices off one plug.

For now, the Garmin is all I have. Then I'll do heated grips and likely driving lights some other day.

Edited by zimm

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 11:02 AM, zimm said:

I just splurged on a '24 service manual

Could I ask you to look in the wiring diagram and tell me where the OBD2 port is?  I ordered the cable from Camel Adv, but the OBD2 port is not under the seat (at least as far as I can tell) as his installation video shows.  Much appreciated.

Edited by SXXP

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SXXP said:

Could I ask you to look in the wiring diagram and tell me where the OBD2 port is?  I ordered the cable from Camel Adv, but the OBD2 port is not under the seat (at least as far as I can tell) as his installation video shows.  Much appreciated.

I'm looking over the manual. There's no 16 pin OBD port like a car would have. Yamaha has the "YDT" 6 pin port that goes to the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool.

According to the diagram, if you pull the main seat it should be in the back right corner near the bolt hole for the seat.

BTW, it's a nice manual. I recommend buying one if you ever plan to work on your bike.  Too bad it's copywrited so I can't snap a .pdf and post it.

Edited by zimm

23 minutes ago, zimm said:

I'm looking over the manual. There's no 16 pin OBD port like a car would have. Yamaha has the "YDT" 6 pin port that goes to the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool.

According to the diagram, if you pull the main seat it should be in the back right corner near the bolt hole for the seat.

BTW, it's a nice manual. I recommend buying one if you ever plan to work on your bike.  Too bad it's copywrited so I can't snap a .pdf and post it.

Yes, the bikes six pin port connects to a dongle with a  six pin (at one end) and 16 pin OBD2 (at the other end).

Hmm...right side of the bike?  Per Camel Adv video, this plug (four pin for the earlier years) is capped and hooked to the cross member/brace separating the battery area from the passenger under-seat area.  I'll have to look harder. 

Thanks for looking.   BTW, how much was the manual?

Edited by SXXP

Does the manual show a Blue Tooth communicating module under the seat (right-ish side)?

2 hours ago, SXXP said:

Does the manual show a Blue Tooth communicating module under the seat (right-ish side)?

I sent you a message about this. Check your inbox.

Every recent Yamaha I've seen had the OBD port in red plastic, and it's the only red one. This makes it a lot easier to find. 

26 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

Every recent Yamaha I've seen had the OBD port in red plastic, and it's the only red one. This makes it a lot easier to find. 

The red plug on the '24 is not capped, but is plugged into some kind of module that's mounted on the cross brace between the battery compartment and the passenger under-seat storage area.   Maybe, on the '24 you have to unplug it from the module and plug it into the the OBD2 dongle?!  I'll check that out when I get home today.

On a separate note, the ABS override dongle (that I purchased all the way from from Serbia, I believe) plugs in between  the red connector and the above mentioned module (and another lead on the left side under the left panel by the passenger seat). 

4 hours ago, zimm said:

Yamaha has the "YDT" 6 pin port that goes to the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool.

The above "Yamaha Diagnostic Tool" might just be the module I'm talking about that the red connector ("YDT" 6 pin port??) is plugged into!?   

I have some homework to do this evening.

Edited by SXXP

Okay, I just pulled my bike apart. It's the red plug.... and it's plugged into a bluetooth dongle.  Ha!

IMG_3536.jpeg.86d04b9c7d57ef22fd34151ad6bcda4f.jpegIMG_3537.jpeg.aed7b1e736e494d4711f0a2a5f5fffd8.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zimm said:

Okay, I just pulled my bike apart. It's the red plug.... and it's plugged into a bluetooth dongle.  Ha!

IMG_3536.jpeg.86d04b9c7d57ef22fd34151ad6bcda4f.jpegIMG_3537.jpeg.aed7b1e736e494d4711f0a2a5f5fffd8.jpeg

You Sir, have gone over and beyond the call of duty.  Thank you.   

• Like 1

I tried the QR code and it links to house cleaning spray. I guess it’s for factory use. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So, the red connector plugged  into the BT communication module IS the diagnostic port and when removed from the BT module plugs into the Camel Adv sourced OBD2 connector.  Hooked it up to my OBD2 scan tool.... and what do you know...no MIL codes😄

I guess that red connector is capped on pre-2024 models.

Yeah it seems to me to be a cheesy way to add blue tooth to a motorcycle from an OEM.  "Just plug in a dongle into the diagnostic port".  Cheap and easy I guess.

I did order that ABS dongle from Europe, but it's now on backorder. To be able to turn off ABS with the ABS button would be awesome, and they way it should have came.

• Like 1