Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tank grips

I am wanting to add some foam or rubber type adhesive areas where your legs grip at or just behind the tank when standing. Quite a few of the options I have looked at have concerns with adhesion and pads coming loose. Any specific versions you recc? Not looking to spend anymore than needed but I am tall 6ft 5 in and feel like i will be falling forward when standing unless I improve my leg grip. Already lowered the pegs a tick

I bought this kit. Needed some minor tweaking with a razor knife to fit around the holes but I’ve had them on for thousands of kms without issue.

TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Grip Pads 2019+ Yamaha Tenere 700 The Precut Kit Includes Seven Pieces, Center Tank Protector Included. (62-4023-SS) Left-Right Center Strips. (62-4024-SS)...

EBBAD29F-351A-4E9E-B547-2C17BCCDA099.png.8635d1e457c04e8a00064595ac404d61.png

Edited by Samm
  • Like 1

I bought some of the cheaper knock-offs of the yamaha OEM ones. the actual rubber grips are good but the adhesive failed fairly quickly. You can buy quality double sided adhesive tape quite cheap from people like 3M. Itll still work out cheaper than spending near £80 on the OEM ones.

One of my OEM pads came adrift.

Maybe my bad preparation.

3M double side tape fixed the issue.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

My oe pads are fixed firm. Fitted when nearly new so not much contamination. 3 years in. Just make sure the areas are clean and grease free. If they’re abused, rough them up as well. If seriously contaminated, use loctite primer after cleaning.  

Edited by Dougie

Good tip on the 3m double sided tape. 3m usually makes good stuff to fix these issues. Think i might try those tech spec snake skins.

Just checked out the tech spec out of stock but no way I would pay $236  for grippy pads. Going to have to find a plan B.

I bought rubber from Home Depot for 5$ ( over where stair runners are) then bought a can of gorilla glue aerosol for 15$. A couple of years with no issues.

Just cut to desired shape and glue.

IMG_2050.JPG

8 hours ago, eyeguy said:

Just checked out the tech spec out of stock but no way I would pay $236  for grippy pads. Going to have to find a plan B.

That price is truly outrageous; must be the retailer because buying direct from Tech Spec is $89.95:  Yamaha Tenere 700 (2019-Current) SnakeSkin Tank Grips (techspec-usa.com)

I installed this Tech Spec kit on my T7 nearly three years ago and, like mentioned above after slightly trimming at a couple of places, it fit and has held up perfectly.

20230210_100133.jpg.29b27706860d89e46023d60706942316.jpg 

EDIT: Just went back to that other vendor linked earlier. Clicked USD and now the Tech Spec kit I'd linked immediately above shows as only $85.45: 

TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Grip Pads 2019+ Yamaha Tenere 700 TechSpec’s flag ship tank grip material, Snake Skin, has over twenty years of material development. It’s not easy bonding adhesive to rubber. TechSpec’s...

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, eyeguy said:

Good tip on the 3m double sided tape. 3m usually makes good stuff to fix these issues. Think i might try those tech spec snake skins.

Yamaha OEM use 3M VHB - they stick like glue 😉

I've used brake cleaner or alcohol for cleaning the surface, can't remember. Instructions are pretty clear, AFAIR they recommend not fitting them under 10 or 15°C.

Thanks for the update on cost I thought it was US dollars.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eyeguy said:

Thanks for the update on cost I thought it was US dollars.

Same. I was shocked when I saw the $200+ price.

Got them off AliExpress for the Tenere 700. The only issue with them is that they come with tissue tape which gives way when exposed to water.

So went and got some better outdoor double sided tape from the hardware store and used that tape instead, now those grips have been on the bike for over 2 years and haven't come off.

Tips to install

- sand the back of the pads after removal of the glue from the tissue tape

- install better tape

- use heat to install onto the bike

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |