Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Recommended oil for T7 - definitive answer

The Pineaaple

After many discussions and countless questions, here is the answer to the infamous question - which oil to put in stock Yamaha Tenere 700:
Yamalube S4 10W-40 ("S4" - Semi Synthetic)
alternative:
Motorex 4T 10W-40 JASO MA2 (yellow, not red).
Motul 5100 4T 10W-40 ESTER MA2 (Semy Synthetic, JASO MA2).

Semi Synthetic is recommended as it works better on the cam chain, with better lubrication. Quote from mechanincs working on Yamaha CP2 engines. Although I have used Motul a lot in the past in my motorcycles, I heard from more and more sources the oil doesn't perform as well. Personaly I would rech towards REPSOL instead of Motul.

Disclaimer: I am not sponsored in any way by anyone. I do not want for this topic to develop into another oil saga. The sole purpose of this thread is factual information what kind of oil Yamaha recommends to put into CP2 Yamaha Tenere 700  stock engine, to keep it running smooth, shifting smooth and running for a long time.

Edited by The Pineaaple

• The Pineaaple changed the title to Recommended oil for T7 - definitive answer