Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Steering head bearings Tenere 700

marcosigno

Question

Hi everyone, with the tener 700 I have a problem with the steering head bearings, after a day of non-extreme off road I hear a click every time I brake or go over a bump, it's very bad also because after the last time the I tightened he continued to do so. I don't hear any noise when moving the handlebars to the right or left but with each stroke you hear something slow. Has the same happened to you? Thank you all.

3 answers to this question

I had same issue. Hit pot holes or bumps and hear kinda loud click noise. I tightened steering stem bolt. It got loose. 

• Like 1

Take out forks and wheel.

Remove triple clamps and give bearings a good clean with spray and compressed air. 

Slap loads of grease back and work it into bearings.

Put back together and tighten so that the bars are just tight enough to stop flopping about but not too tight so that you feel a notchy feeling. 

Should be good.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, marcosigno said:
Hi everyone, with the tener 700 I have a problem with the steering head bearings, after a day of non-extreme off road I hear a click every time I brake or go over a bump, it's very bad also because after the last time the I tightened he continued to do so. I don't hear any noise when moving the handlebars to the right or left but with each stroke you hear something slow. Has the same happened to you? Thank you all.

Welcome to the forum. Good suggestions above and searching here for  "Steering clunk" produced these threads for more insight.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS