Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere extreme vs Standard with sups upgrade

Yelcross

Hi guys

New here on the forum! As my 890 is sold and I'm joining the blue force I have a question which I can't find enough info of on the interwebs... . I have the option to either buy the Tenere Extreme version or a normal Tenere and upgrade the suspension myself. I ride 90% offroad and take a jump every once in a while 😄

So how much better is the suspension on the extreme version? And is it that much better that it will be enough in the future? Because if it's not I'm probably better off buying a standard T7 and upgrading the suspension myselft to my own needs?

Thanks in advance!!

I don’t really know much about the extreme version or how good the suspension is over standard but what you are asking is probably very difficult to answer accurately.

Only you know the type of terrain you ride and at what level. For example Adam Riemann recently posted a video of his suspension upgrades he’s making to his World Raid. I’m sure very few of us ride a T7 like Adam but we do all tend to want to improve and modify our bikes.

If you ride the T7 more on the extreme side may be it will be more cost effective to buy the base model, bin the standard suspension and fit the best you can afford from the get go. Again, I don’t know how good the extreme is but the WR is supposed to be an improvement but some still feel it’s not enough.

• Like 3

The Extreme seems to use the same suspension tech as the base model with 20mm more travel and Kashma coating which is a nice touch. Valving may be modded a bit but that's just shim swapping.  If you like to push the boundaries at speed in technical terrain you may bump into the limits of the Extremes suspension quicker than you'd like. Then you are faced with how to move forward....  If I had an endless supply of coin and was 10 years younger I'd buy the base model and get the GYTR suspension if I wanted something extremely cool and factory supplied. 🙂

Edited by Windblown

16 hours ago, Alan M said:

I don’t really know much about the extreme version or how good the suspension is over standard but what you are asking is probably very difficult to answer accurately.

Only you know the type of terrain you ride and at what level. For example Adam Riemann recently posted a video of his suspension upgrades he’s making to his World Raid. I’m sure very few of us ride a T7 like Adam but we do all tend to want to improve and modify our bikes.

If you ride the T7 more on the extreme side may be it will be more cost effective to buy the base model, bin the standard suspension and fit the best you can afford from the get go. Again, I don’t know how good the extreme is but the WR is supposed to be an improvement but some still feel it’s not enough.

Yes it's always a bit vague as only I know what my riding will be like. My bikes are do it all machines so they need to handle a lot of jobs haha! Travelling with bagage, riding the mx track every once in a while, doing some amateur rally raid, ... . Knowing that most of the times names like "extreme" are mostly not as extreme as they sound, the standard tenere with RallyRaid raised suspension or Ktech,... will be the best route for me. It would be a bummer to spend the extra cash on an extreme version and still have to change the suspension anyway in the end... .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Windblown said:

The Extreme seems to use the same suspension tech as the base model with 20mm more travel and Kashma coating which is a nice touch. Valving may be modded a bit but that's just shim swapping.  If you like to push the boundaries at speed in technical terrain you may bump into the limits of the Extremes suspension quicker than you'd like. Then you are faced with how to move forward....  If I had an endless supply of coin and was 10 years younger I'd buy the base model and get the GYTR suspension if I wanted something extremely cool and factory supplied. 🙂

Can only dream about the GYTR stuff 😍 But nice that we are getting so much of the GYTR stuff available for us consumers! Reason why I want the base T7 and not the WR is because it's so modular with all the aftermarket stuff. If I ever want to do a longer rally or travel I can still buy the GYTR rear mounted tanks!

• Like 1

The Extreme has the same shock and forks as the World Raid. So 230mm travel and probably a bit different valving, as the clicker settings are different. So to me it sounds like you might want to go that route. Because even if you should upgrade to RR or similar, then your starting point would still be better then the standard T7.

Edited by 712moto

2 hours ago, 712moto said:

The Extreme has the same shock and forks as the World Raid. So 230mm travel and probably a bit different valving, as the clicker settings are different. So to me it sounds like you might want to go that route. Because even if you should upgrade to RR or similar, then your starting point would still be better then the standard T7.

In what way would the starting point be any better? Just the kashima coating? Because when you upgrade to RR you change the whole internals right and you change the whole shock in the back (also +25mm is available). I'm just trying to figure this out so haha

• Like 1

If you are coming from an 890 "R" and liked the suspension then the Extreme is probably the right choice.

I only read that it's quite stiff on the road but I guess that is expected, WP Xplor stuff is no different.