Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Day Trippin' on my T7 in the UK with dad :)

Adaptableadv

Hi everyone hope we are all well been a long month or two the story starts with my dad waking up struggling to pass fluid, that leads to a docs appointment an a rush mri then biopsy which then had a complication an me rushing him to a&e the day after,

Unfortunately an he couldn't pass anything luckily he then got a catheter fitted an thankfully they confirmed there was no damage to his kidneys it was super touch n go as his bladder nearly burst while he was waiting to be seen.

When that happened at his biopsy I decided to do something to give him something positive to focus on 🙂
In the best way possible a motorcycle!

An trade in my 2011 fireblade I've owned since new to get us a 2020 Yamaha Tenere 700 for him an myself to ride as a suprise. This really kept him positive over the past week especially when he was hit with the bad news on Friday of Stage 3 Prostate Cancer which came as a bit of a shock as he seemed fit and healthy and in good shape all things considered which goes to show check ups are so important a I hope in the future we all get screened for it more often.

Dad being dad even when he found out he's gotta have an opp before his radiotherapy is super excited for the Tenere which arrives shortly.

The plan now is for us to scrap our move to Scotland as where we were planning was hours from the hospital he'd need to attend, stay local but move a bit further into the Peak District an then look at near Exeter down in Devon in 2 years time if possible. Which was the other 50/50 plan for the move. Delays all my plans a fair bit but my entire focus is on my dad and keeping him able to enjoy his life as much as possible so all fingers crossed for positive treatment.

Tomorrow he's having a bone scan which will give us an even clearer picture all fingers crossed its not spread Into them.

He's been struggling a fair bit since the biopsy so anything positive is good.

The next plan is to sell my 1150GSA as to stay where we are it means downsizing quite a bit as we will just be managing on how I support my parents for a while after we move an I end my career break. All about the teamwork though 🙂

Which means as much as I wanted to keep it as well we just won't have the room Nortons an stuff can fit through house doorways into rooms!

Also wanna say a thanks to Adie at Crescent who made it really painless for me sorting it out in-between all the hospital stuff, renewed my faith in dealers.

Anyways I thought the update might give a bit of explanation to the lack of posts an youtube for anyone that's followed my stuff.

So without further ado here's our 2020 Yamaha Tenere 700 an I'll get some pics n vids taken out an about on her over the coming weeks in between dad's hospital stuff.

The plan is to use the Yamaha Lowering link and Yamaha low seat as from what I've read that will take 38mm out of the seat height for dad and anything that makes it managable is great in my book an then I can flick the Rally seat on when I'm on it for a bit more leg room if needs be.

Initially I was gonna get the Touratech Low seat but they came back to me today an said it's the same height as the standard Yamaha 2 peice seat so that might be a good option for me in the future.

Will be an interesting way to see if the Tenere 700 floats our boat then when we are more sorted an can look at our Norway trip can look at some new ones 🙂

Once the 1150 is sold I'm gonna get cracking on my Yamaha RD350LC an the rest on bills. The very first bike dad and I ever got together at one point I had 2 of them, 2 350lcs, 2 250lcs a rd250c an a rzv500r an tz.

now I've  just got the one 350lc the first one that we never finished which means the most to us, I used to do 2k Miles a week on one of the 250lcs an I've never ridden a modern Yamaha so will be interesting with the T7 an will be fun flying about on an Elsie again.

Adv wise I've had everything under the sun 300 Rally, Himalayan 411, 390 adv, 1200gsa te 2014, 1200 gs te rallye 2018, f800gs 2015, vstrom 1000xt an a vstrom 650xt.

spacer.png

Edited by Adaptableadv
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

First day out on the Tenere 700 Adventure Motorcycle decided to have a go at green laning again ^_^ I decided recently to sell my fireblade I've owned since 2011 an get a T7 for dad an I to share after his stage 3 gleason stage 9 prostate cancer diagnosis as something positive for him to focus on through his treatment.

Had a small ride out today to see how I got on with the Tenere 700 30 mins in I found myself on a local greenlane.

Which lead to that typical thing you get with Japanese Motorcycles of them feeling like you've rode them forever after a few rides up the cat and fiddle I decided to have a wander to a car park near a green lane.

Which then lead to me having a little think to myself an then deciding to have a ride up said green lane as I'd what I'd class a reluctant green laner! Having not particularly enjoyed it on the 300 Rally.

An being utterly suprised by the Tenere I'd rode the same lane on the 300 Rally and I'm being totally honest here I actually found it much easier on the T7. Which completely suprised me now I'm no green laner but I rode it up there took a few pics an rode back with no dramas an with complete confidence.

Riding at my own pace taking some pics, talking to a few walkers and just generally having a really nice afternoon of it.

Dad was over the moon when I got back I got the T7 to give him something to ride an focus on through his stage 3 prostate cancer treatment an he's looking forward to riding it when he's able.

It surprised me that I even wanted to have another go at greenlaning what did surprise me with the T7 is it felt manageable to move around an like a big dirtbike really crossed with a nippy small cc fun bike with that yamahaness you get with bikes like the Elsie, fun mix not had a modern Yam before and its an interesting change from the 1150gsa which is like a magic carpet that was my previous main bike which the T7 will be replacing.

The grunty engine suprised me to really torquey which made it great it just felt like it had tons of grip an didn't need loads of revs like the 300 an I didn't notice the top heaviness I didn't drop it though so that might change lmao.

Seat was a bit hard but the reach to the ground considering it was +40mm Rally seat was ok 🙂 an I found the suspension probs needs some valving at some point. Overall its gonna be a great base going forward.

Has anyone tried a Touratech low Comfort seat?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Adaptableadv

Great idea buying the T7 for your Dad, I’m sure he’ll love it and give him something positive to focus on. 

Don’t venture too far into the mud on the standard tyres, they’re not the best but great on the hard stuff.

Good luck and hopefully not too long before your Dad gets the all clear 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Alan really appreciate the reply that's good to know on the Tyres 🙂 was considering what to change them for at some point 🙂

all fingers crossed is all any of us can hope for I think.

Edited by Adaptableadv

Get some pictures posted of the LC, there’s a thread somewhere for other bikes in the garage. 👍

I have an RZV myself, love the thing.

• Thanks 1

Will do Alan ill start a build thread on the 350lc in the appropriate section 🙂

Great to see other two stroke enthusiasts here.

First ride out on the T7 🙂

• Like 2

Following with great interest.  What you are doing for your Dad is awesome.  Power to you!

On a side note, I find the size of the license plates on all European bikes bizarre.  Why so big?  They are so out of proportion it's almost comical. 

Here in the US they are sized right😜

image.jpeg.3dfe9bb48aa003017f80acb9f7e6f513.jpeg

Edited by SXXP
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Sxxp 🙂 an yep we actually get fined if we fit a smaller one over here so I always just leave mine stock. I do agree though your plates are much more neater.

Initially we were planning on Nordkapp on 2x T7s thats still the plan but obv been pushed back pending all dad's treatment gotta keep making plans and goals to aim for 🙂

Edited by Adaptableadv
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A year on green laning again in the Peak District to celebrate my birthday awesome day an while having one of many breaks. I bumped into Peak Motorcycles, Curtis_t7 an two other guys who were also really nice an I didn't catch there names. Really appreciated them taking the time out of there day to chat and pass some advice on 🙂

This time on the Yamaha Tenere 700 compared to the Himalayan an the main comparison of the Honda CRF 300 Rally that I had a year or so ago when I decided green laning wasn't for me. Until the T7 that was 🙂

Now this isn't gonna apply to everyone. For some reason I'm finding the T7 way more managable to me than the 300 Rally. 

An I can't quite put my finger on why I'm pretty tall an the +40mm Rally seat I'm really liking. The T7 just seems to find grip everywhere is so torquey an I'm not finding it top heavy at all maybe it's the lack of crash bars. An I'm finding it nice an controllable at low speed trail rising and really fun on the roads to.

Had a full tank in today an I'd say I'm starting to go from reluctant green laner to really enjoying it.

It's interesting as I think it combines some of the best attributes of those bikes along with some attributes the T7 brings to the table being a Japanese designed bike an just it's simple aproach which is so refreshing now adays.

I think it all comes down to intended use and riding environment an for the split of riding I'm doing with no crazy single track the fit is pretty perfect as its good on the road to although the wind management needs a few tweaks being +40mm higher seated than stock.

Thinking adjusters rather than a tall screen for when I'm stood up.

Was interesting today the first full green lane on the T7 super duper good felt confident, comfortable an in control of the Tenere. 

Really liking my camel adv Gut Guard to that I bought.

Fitted perfect an I wanna say Camels customer service is epic kudos to Cory for helping me out a hiccup with the distributor earlier in the week.

Next plan is to countersink the bolts (mines a very early model that's been changed on the latest to have counter bores.)

So what's next for the T7, Barkbusters, I'm thinking screen adjusters, maybe some renthal bars as I keep getting cramp in my throttle hand at the mo. Deffo a headlight guard.

Also eying up a Camel clutch arm, fix pedal an a hp corse exhaust an them some different tyres and suspension work 🙂 when funds allow.

Loving the T7! Can't wait for dad to ride her when he's ready as I'm sure he's gonna love it.

Also thinking bout tyres as well.

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Adaptableadv
  • Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 8:11 PM, SXXP said:

On a side note, I find the size of the license plates on all European bikes bizarre.  Why so big?  They are so out of proportion it's almost comical. 

Here in the US they are sized right😜

image.jpeg.3dfe9bb48aa003017f80acb9f7e6f513.jpeg

We're lucky that they are that small nowadays in Germany. There were times when we called them baking tray (german: Kuchenblech).

Way back in '75 on a Honda CB 250 and my Ducati Mach I

Tour_nach_Brokstedt-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shite!!  😮  Those are indeed dinner trays!

• Like 1

Buxton bloke here, I recognise where some of those pics were taken. 

Brilliant gift for your dad. There's some gentle lanes round here for him esp when (if ever again!) it dries out

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sunndog great to hear from you 🙂 I'm looking forward to funding some of those myself an as you day will be brill for dad as he's never done that sort of riding before, just renewed my TRF Membership super enjoyed it yesterday.

An tell me about it haha ! Chucking it down again! 

I'm on the other side of the Cat at the moment, just weighing up staying local or moving near Buxton myself with dad when we downsize.

Just waiting on the first surgery date for him at the mo, hopefully after that he can have a few small rides should be super exciting for him.

Posted (edited)

It's been really interesting having another go at Trail riding last year I owned a 300 Rally to do some Trail Riding an decided at the time that Trail Riding wasn't for me. 1 year on an I'm giving it another whirl on the Tenere 700 and really enjoying it on the T7.

In the video I take in my first full green lane on the T7 at a nice an steady pace an bump into some other TRF Members Peak Motorcycles, Curtis_T7 an tigeradventures2020 an another person on a kove. Who were all full of helpful advice for me 🙂 unfortunately i didn't have the camera on during that.

It's a bike that's constantly surprising me at the moment there's a few things i wanna change for dad and I as we go along 

From my perspective I'm recovering from a nerve injury that sometimes I have good days or bad days with, so my fitness I'd pretty much 0 so I'm taking a very sensible approach of stopping whenever I need to on the trails even if that means 100 yards. It's best to do that approach than ride into something through being tired, for me that's really working at the moment.

I'm just so pleasantly suprised with how well I'm getting on with the Tenere 700 suits me as a platform alot.

I'm just trying to decide how to spend £400 on her.

I'm thinking maybe Barkbusters, Footpegs, Renthall bars next an a headlight protector as I'm not intending on fitting crash bars.

Hope you all enjoy.

Edited by Adaptableadv

@Adaptableadv if you are not fitting crash bars, you might want to consider CamelADV side panels.  The stock panels are quite brittle. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Hollybrook 🙂 id forgotten about those! Pretty high on the list of things to buy watched Cory's video on them the other day look brilliant.