Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Moving to Switzerland with your T7

luke29ermtb

There's a chance that I'll be moving from Australia to Switzerland for work and, with the TET network to be explored, I'm obviously keen to take my T7 if the planets align and we can make it happen. Does anyone have any experience taking a used T7 into Switzerland, getting it registered and getting your Swiss riders licence? 

I've held a South Australian unrestricted riders licence for about 30 years. Would that transfer across easily or is there a process for obtaining an unrestricted licence in Switzerland?

Cheers

Luke

Hi Luke

That sounds really cool. Don't expect any off-roading within Swiss borders, though. The TET is something I need to start exploring myself.

Regarding your question. The canton of Grisons website. I couldn't find the 'language change'-button, but this is what it says in English:

Foreign driving license

Welcome to Switzerland!

Driver's license

We will be happy to provide you with detailed information regarding the use of foreign driving licenses on Swiss territory at any time upon telephone or written request.

Need a Swiss driving license:

• People from abroad who have been living in Switzerland for twelve months and have not stayed abroad for more than three months without interruption during this time.
  • People with a driving license that was not issued by a member state of the EU or EFTA, who professionally drive motor vehicles of categories C, C1, D, D1 registered in Switzerland or who require a permit for professional passenger transport. In this case, the purchase must take place before the start of the first professional journey.

There is a chance that the rules are different depending on where in Switzerland you would move to. This is the website from the canton of Zurich. Again, no English:

Check trip

Depending on which country your driving license is from, you will have to do a check drive.

If you have a driving license from one of these countries, you do not have to do a driving inspection. No additional theory test is necessary for driving license category B (cars):

Andorra, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea (Republic), Morocco, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, Singapore, Taiwan, Tunisia, USA.

You only need to take an additional theory test if you have and want to keep these driving license categories: C and D, subcategory C1 and D1.

You also need an additional theory test for professional passenger transport.

On importing your T7: This is the Swiss customs website. Fortunately, they allow you to read the website in English.

If you need to know more or a 'boots on the ground' approach, let me know.

Cheers
Andri

Hi Luke - have you researched the costs involved in shipping & importing the T7 to Switzerland (import duties / shipping / insurance / etc)? It could well be more cost effective & a lot less hassle to buy a bike local. Depending on how long you expect to relocate you could sell the T7 in Oz or store it for a few years.