Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What is this gunk on my engine?

nullsson

Hello, I'm very new to motorcycles (only had my license for like 6 months~) and Tenere 700 became my first bike.

I bought it used and it had 11000km when I bought it, now I've ridden like 2000km and I've noticed several times some weird gunk running down on the side of my engine. I can't identify what it is and I'm just worried that maybe there is some damage to the bike.

Someone said it might be excessive chain lube that has caused it. I have a chain lube spray that I've recently tried to spray on my chain every 300km or so but this black gunk did come before I started doing that. 

IMG_1314.jpg

b6f44888-83ce-4994-91b8-ee856fe7127a.jpg

27fcff9c-97be-42a9-91a6-6b8f39f78957.jpg

I have exactly the same - and have suspected too much chain lube. But I´d like to know what the more experiences guys have to say about it!

I’d say as you thought a mixture of chain lube and crud coming from your front sprocket

take the front sprocket cover off  and give the area and your chain a good clean and the lightly lubricate - my thoughts are little and often - obviously depending on your riding 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I’d say as you thought a mixture of chain lube and crud coming from your front sprocket

take the front sprocket cover off  and give the area and your chain a good clean and the lightly lubricate - my thoughts are little and often - obviously depending on your riding 

When applying chain lube is the correct way to just spray it on my chain and rotate the wheel a couple of spins or should I spray and then rub / wipe it off with a cloth?

Also when cleaning the area around the engine and under sprocket cover, what is the best products to use? Do I need degreaser or is it enough with something like much-off ?

Edited by nullsson

2 hours ago, nullsson said:

When applying chain lube is the correct way to just spray it on my chain and rotate the wheel a couple of spins or should I spray and then rub / wipe it off with a cloth?

Also when cleaning the area around the engine and under sprocket cover, what is the best products to use? Do I need degreaser or is it enough with something like much-off ?

I always spray WD40 on a piece a cloth, wipe off all the grease and dirt from chain and sprockets. Apply a little chain lube on inside chain. Best is apply chainlube after a ride, when chain is warm. Solvents evaporate quickly and lube sticks to chain.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

I always spray WD40 on a piece a cloth, wipe off all the grease and dirt from chain and sprockets. Apply a little chain lube on inside chain. Best is apply chainlube after a ride, when chain is warm. Solvents evaporate quickly and lube sticks to chain.

Do you also wipe of the small wheels that the chain is resting on, in my first image you can also see its almost black from this grease. Is WD40 good for that too?

47 minutes ago, nullsson said:

Do you also wipe of the small wheels that the chain is resting on, in my first image you can also see its almost black from this grease. Is WD40 good for that too?

Yes, if there is grease dirt on it i clean them with the WD40-cloth.

• Like 1

Easiest way is if it’s on a stand so you can spin the wheel freely. Spray it on the o rings to lube and then the metal links to protect. It will then spread out.
 (O ring friendly lube, gearbox oil is the usual standard if you like mess and faffing about, comes down to whether you are OCD or can’t be arsed)

I soak mine. Stops my spokes rusting as I hate cleaning wheels 😁
you’ll see the difference in effort to spin the wheel before and after. Keep clear of your tyres obviously. 

clean the gunk off with wd40 then normal cleaning stuff. 

I get mine up on the paddock stand give it a bit of a ckean off with wd40 and an only tooth brush - old cardboard box on the floor under the length of the chain - dry it off with an old tshirt then, with gloves on apply light gear oil to the length of the chain by hand working it in to the o rings and coating the links - not too time consuming 

I do only ride tarmac I hasten to add.

im sure most guys have their own regime but keep it lubricated - better than dry 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 6:55 AM, nullsson said:

Hello, I'm very new to motorcycles (only had my license for like 6 months~) and Tenere 700 became my first bike.

I bought it used and it had 11000km when I bought it, now I've ridden like 2000km and I've noticed several times some weird gunk running down on the side of my engine. I can't identify what it is and I'm just worried that maybe there is some damage to the bike.

Someone said it might be excessive chain lube that has caused it. I have a chain lube spray that I've recently tried to spray on my chain every 300km or so but this black gunk did come before I started doing that. 

IMG_1314.jpg

b6f44888-83ce-4994-91b8-ee856fe7127a.jpg

27fcff9c-97be-42a9-91a6-6b8f39f78957.jpg

Nice choice of first bike by the way. 👍😁

• Like 1