Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mysterious fault codes in ECU

Totti

Bought the Bluetooth reader (Elm 327) and software for Android (Torque pro). And of course, had to test them right away.

As a result it found the following codes: C1555, C1E25, P1E30, P1E58, P1EF5, U3520

I did not found any explanation from the service manual to these codes.
The software said that the code C1555 means: "(Mitsubishi) Steering angle SNS out of range". 😄
And the code P1EF5 means: "Battery charger input voltage conditioner temperature too high."

Tried to google the codes but I always end up to Yamaha marine websites...
Cleared the codes and they did not come back. Haven't noticed any strange behavior with the bike.
The codes were read last time over two years ago. When the bike was at the dealers "service".

No fault codes then. Or they did not read them.

Can these be ghost codes? Or something related to the Torque Pro software?
I remember that when servicing the bikes this winter, I had it running without front turn signals connected. And one time the cooling fan was not connected.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• Moderators

@Totti  My first impression is those reading are an anomaly. Did you purchase your T7 new?  If so and you've never had issues with it, I wouldn't stress it unless something pops up as abnormal,  then read the codes again.  If purchased used, then harder to explain without knowing the history, but still the same thing comes to mind, some sort of hiccup from the BT reader or App.  You mentioning running with the cooling fan disconnected might be enough to throw a code, but until the bike presents a problem condition,  I'd just ride it.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

A "1" as the second digit means the code is manufacturer-specific, so they're at least specific to Yamaha, but could possibly be even more specific to market or model. The service manual has some codes listed, but it's not comprehensive.

A code will show up until cleared, but you should see whether it's still present or not. Usually if it's present and you clear it, it'll pop up again. If it does, that's something to address. But odds are it's like you said, you forgot to plug something in and a code was thrown but not cleared. I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

@AZJW, I am the sole owner of this bike. Had it serviced by a dealer three times, because of the two year warranty.

Did some research (thank you: FJRforum.com and Ifan at FZ09.org) and it seems that:

• The first letter tells about what code is about. C means Chassis and P means powertrain.
  • The  last two digits of the fault code are in hexadecimal and need to be converted to decimals. For example C1E25, 25 to decimals is 37.

Some people have seen the same codes that I have on their FZ's and MT's. Some the codes can be generic ODB-II/III codes and not Yamaha specific.

C1555: Some people guess that this could refer to side stand switch.

P1EF5: engine stop detected (can occur with normal operation).

The rest remain a mystery. But what I read was that some half a second fault in some sensor or misfiring in a spark plug can cause these codes to appear .

So will put the reader back to it's box and go riding. As soon as the damn snow goes away.

• Like 2

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced