Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Kriega OS-18 with side luggage plates

Peter56

Hi guys, using somebody Kriega OS-18 bags with AS side luggage plates or any other side plates (R&G,Rally Raid,Motoes) without Kriega OS base ? I don't see any point of using side luggage plates and OS base the same time, but can you mount the bags on the plates without Os base?

Yes, but most soft racks have no cross member for the rear, and after a few drops they'll bend inward. Adventure Spec rack bends really easily and doesn't have the greatest cutouts for the 18s. The Rally Raid rack is a bit stronger with better attachment points, but the left side has started digging into the plastic...

PXL_20240117_232633954.jpg.d692c28dde6c894f728255ef8eec8f8e.jpg

If I had a redo, I'd get this, since it attaches to the bike at the rear for some extra support...

https://panonian.com/store/product/yamaha-tenere-700-side-luggage-rack/

• Like 2

advgoats.com

I just drilled holes through my AS racks and the outer layer of the Kriega bags then through-bolted them on with fender washers. The straps would not have worked well imo.

• Like 1

I run OS-12 and OS-18 bags on AS side plates.  The top straps go through grab handles and the bottom ones through the AS plates.

@TenereTragic700 has a similar setup and may chime in.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

I would not get the AS Spec side plates again - as noted by @random1781 they do bend inwards.  I would have a look at Camel ADV Side Plates.

I use the attachment method noted by @Hollybrook.

If I was doing this all again I would have coughed up the money for the Moto Mosko 80 litre set up.  I would still have used a rack and side plates with that set up, just not AS.

• Like 2

The real advantage to me for the Mosko Moto Reckless setup is the ease of removing valuable gear from the bike at a hotel.  When camping, it's not a big deal. 

• Like 1

Here's some reference. At picture time, the Adventure Spec racks have about 4 months and 3000 miles on them. Rally Raid have about 16 months about 20,000 miles on them

PXL_20230110_200029756(Custom).jpg.d0e7574ad9be31e9f2c361814b0257e9.jpg

PXL_20240324_165734709(Custom).jpg.7d93368feba90b2f363725f982477f2f.jpg

• Like 1

advgoats.com

B&B off road engineering have just released some side plates that I think I will get soon.

T7-SOF-BAG-PLATES-BLACK-copy-scaled.jpg

T7-SOFT-BAG-PLATES-WITH-OS-12-copy-scaled.jpg

T7-SIDE-PLATES-WITH-US12-BAGS-copy-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Age888 said:

B&B off road engineering have just released some side plates that I think I will get soon.

T7-SOF-BAG-PLATES-BLACK-copy-scaled.jpg

T7-SOFT-BAG-PLATES-WITH-OS-12-copy-scaled.jpg

T7-SIDE-PLATES-WITH-US12-BAGS-copy-scaled.jpg

That looks really interesting. No bracket to the passenger pegs, so everything is braced underneath. Wonder about high exhausts though.

advgoats.com

It would be interesting to see what the hidden frame looks like. 

• Like 2