Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sprocket nut alternatives?

Zefiros

Question

Hi all,

Today I changed my sprocket for the first time (upgraded from 15 to 16 tooth).

During the change it was the first time for me to work with a "punched lock" type of sprocket.

Because the threads of the nut are deformed due to the punching, even after bending the punches back with a screwdriver you could potentially damage the output shaft; I saw someone who damaged his output shaft with the stock nut, and therefore was wondering if anyone already tried alternatives for this nut?

For example, with my other bikes I am familiar with a "bend washer" type of lock?

Made a simple sketch of what I mean:

(This is what I am familiar with from my other bikes)

DrawNote_Untitled_2404142212292.jpg.220f896d1db17b9f92405abf2b59cea3.jpg

Seems less risk then the OEM nut in my opinion? 

Not sure if this will work with the Tenere output shaft dimensions with the OEM sprockets, cause this will require approx 1mm of length on the spline (gear shaped part of the shaft), but maybe someone already tried something else then the "punching" method?

Just wondering🙃🙂

Edited by Zefiros
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

I’ve used the same nut three to four times without issue. As long as you punch out the dent before removing you should be fine since the threads aren’t even full height at the end of the shaft (I think…) and the shaft should be harder than the thin end of the nut.

On a recent sprocket swap the dented area of the nut cracked because of overwork so I just ordered a new nut from the dealer. In my opinion there is close to zero risk with this method but if you’re looking for a project let us know what parts you source!

Also have you completed the sprocket swap? If so you’ve already proved to yourself that Yamahas hardware setup works fine…

8 hours ago, Samm said:

I’ve used the same nut three to four times without issue. As long as you punch out the dent before removing you should be fine since the threads aren’t even full height at the end of the shaft (I think…) and the shaft should be harder than the thin end of the nut.

On a recent sprocket swap the dented area of the nut cracked because of overwork so I just ordered a new nut from the dealer. In my opinion there is close to zero risk with this method but if you’re looking for a project let us know what parts you source!

Also have you completed the sprocket swap? If so you’ve already proved to yourself that Yamahas hardware setup works fine…

Thanks for your reaction. Good to hear that you have already done it multiple times without problems!

I have completed the swap, so everything should be fine (know for sure during the next swap, but probably will be all right).

If I will change the sprocket next time I will check if such a bend washer would fit and put a post about the outcome.

Still would like to hear if someone has perhaps already tried such.