Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Rad Frame

Camel ADV

Finally!!! 😍 Thanks again Cory!

• Like 1

very nice and so simple

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

We've been getting a bunch of emails asking about compatibility with crash bars. The frames are a low profile, light weight alternative to crash bars. We'll gladly take your money but there is no advantage to runing the rad frame as well as crash bars; it just adds weight.

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

I'm sorry but this won't do the job. The support that is located at the bottom of the side pannel is made out of thin sheet metal.

Whenever you drop your bike on the side panel, this support is completely destroyed. You didn't do anything to prevent this from happening as far as I can tell.

I will now make my own version of these that will prevent this from happening.

20240418_192135.jpg.bc2d8a82c4df5a6fd67fdd49bdc892c7.jpg

Don't really get the point here @Guido B, do you mean the lower two bolts where the subframe rails are mounted? Imho at least the radiator is protected against cracks on the side, the radiator guard will distribute impacts across a larger area and across several mounting points, just as crash bars do.

image.jpeg.23e1b8c0628b87067b0424e8e3201026.jpeg

Have a look at my picture, that says it all.

6 minutes ago, Guido B said:

To be fair the picture you posted doesn’t explain anything at all.

• Like 2

I don't understand what's not clear about it. The side panels are bolted onto a little bracket which connects to your frame. On the camel adv this little bracket sticks out through the cutout in their rad guards and it still vulnerable.

On my picture you can see that bracket completely crumbled. It's like that on both sides, after one day on the track.

• Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Guido B said:

You will have to explain 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guido B said:

I don't understand what's not clear about it. The side panels are bolted onto a little bracket which connects to your frame. On the camel adv this little bracket sticks out through the cutout in their rad guards and it still vulnerable.

On my picture you can see that bracket completely crumbled. It's like that on both sides, after one day on the track.

So it’s not the radiator that got damaged on your bike?

Pretty sure Camel’s guard is intended to protect the radiator from damage.

• Like 2

Correct, it's not the radiator guard that is damaged.

But the radiator isn't even the most vulnerable. It's that mounting point of the side panels that takes all the force when you drop the bike without crash bars.

This Camel adv product should solve the issues that come with removing the crashbars and replacing them with durable side panels right?

10 minutes ago, Guido B said:

But the radiator isn't even the most vulnerable. It's that mounting point of the side panels that takes all the force when you drop the bike without crash bars.

This Camel adv product should solve the issues that come with removing the crashbars and replacing them with durable side panels right?

Wrong, it’s intended to protect the radiator so you are able to carry on your journey without being stranded in the sticks with a bust radiator.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you’re causing that kind of damage 10 times a year get a more enduro type bike, the T7 is not really intended for that abuse.

Anyway, probably better to start your own thread with your solution than us filling Camel’s with hot air.

I’m not having a go, you may have a good solution and it’s good to see others approaches to problems 👍

Edited by Alan M
My bad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guido B said:

I'm sorry but this won't do the job. The support that is located at the bottom of the side pannel is made out of thin sheet metal.

Whenever you drop your bike on the side panel, this support is completely destroyed. You didn't do anything to prevent this from happening as far as I can tell.

Camel Adv's text says "We developed a dirtbike-style radiator frame to protect your T7's radiator from crushing damage." Looks to me it'll do exactly that.

Seems bold and off the mark to say "it won't do the job" when one's definition of the product's intended job is something different.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Guido B said:

No. It's called rad guard for a reason. It's for protecting the radiator while keeping the weight low, as Cory describes it in his first post.

44 minutes ago, Alan M said:

If you’re causing that kind of damage 10 times a year you either need better off road skills or get a more enduro type bike.

Anyway, probably better to start your own thread with your solution than us filling Camel’s with hot air.

I’m not having a go, you may have a good solution and it’s good to see others approaches to problems 👍

To be fair, @Guido B is quite a skilled rider, judging from his videos. The main point with Camel ADVs rad guard is making sure the bike will bring you home.

When it's being dropped multiple times on an MX track, it will get damaged. There's roughly 80-90 kg more weight crushing the parts compared to an MX or Enduro bike, and Yamaha obviously didn't build it for that task. Beefing up everything so that it survives any crash like a small dirtbike would add some significant weight.

I honestly don't care much if my side panel mounting points are damaged, as long as I can save 3-4kg up high compared to upper crash bars. I've had Hepo&Becker Rally bars on my bike, and they didn't improve its handling at all - but they did protect tank, radiator and that mounting point.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

• Moderators

This is a Approved vendor thread to advertise and promote a particular vendors product.  Questions are certainly allowed, but disparaging comments without product experience or first hand knowledge are not appropriate in a paid for space. There are other places on this board for that if you want to discuss it, so those comments and personal riding style discussions have been removed. 

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Has anyone weighed the full kit? Weighing this option.  Also, assume this is compatible with the Acerbis tank; has anyone confirmed this combo?

Many thanks to Cory, who continues to make innovative products for the T7!

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Bruincounselor said:

Has anyone weighed the full kit? Weighing this option.  Also, assume this is compatible with the Acerbis tank; has anyone confirmed this combo?

Many thanks to Cory, who continues to make innovative products for the T7!

@Camel ADV question on newly released product.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Looks like another well designed and tested product from CamelADV.

After watching the install video, I suspect that it will not work with any of the crash bars that use the upper downtube mount, such as my Hepco-Becker lower crash bars.  Cory does a good job of pointing this out in the video, as well as wondering why you would want to run both. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 4/21/2024 at 4:07 AM, Guido B said:

Hey Guido,

A small subset of riders (like me) do not care about superficial damage to their bikes. Although this brace is designed to be used instead of external crash bars, it doesn't (and isn't intended to) perform all of the same functions. The rad frame is intended to save the rad from crushing damage so you are not stranded in the middle of nowhere.  The bike will still get scratches, dents etc. Full external crash bars may be a better option if this type of damage is a concern.

That being said, the sheet metal tab on the right side is a bit vulnerable. Perhaps we can add a small brace to strengthen it a bit, but don't want to make it indestructible as it is likely to punch through the body panel.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Hey Guido,

A small subset of riders (like me) do not care about superficial damage to their bikes. Although this brace is designed to be used instead of external crash bars, it doesn't (and isn't intended to) perform all of the same functions. The rad frame is intended to save the rad from crushing damage so you are not stranded in the middle of nowhere.  The bike will still get scratches, dents etc. Full external crash bars may be a better option if this type of damage is a concern.

That being said, the sheet metal tab on the right side is a bit vulnerable. Perhaps we can add a small brace to strengthen it a bit, but don't want to make it indestructible as it is likely to punch through the body panel.

I am the last one to complain about a few scratches and dents here and there. In fact, I have broken almost every single part of my T7 so far.

I take mine on the track, and although it's not for everyone to do that, it showcases very well what the weakpoints of the T7 are. I have dropped mine a few thousand times during my learning curve and learned the hard way, what works and what doesn't.

I try to make mine bulletproof, but light and nimble at the same time. And so I have taken my crashbars off, and replaced the plastics for the beefy type.

It took me one day at the track to find out the next weakest point, which is those tabs that hold the bottom of the side panel.

I understand it's not the main purpose of the part you designed to protect or replace those tabs, but it would be ignorant to ignore those. When they bent they pull the panels in a direction they are not designed in, making the fasteners pop out and leave your sidepanels flopping around. Sure, you'll get home with flopping sidepanels. But I don't think you want to keep riding around like that.

Just throw a rubber dampener in there. The ones with a threaded rod sticking out on both sides. It prevent breaking and bending, and makes sure your sidepanel stays in place. 

I will make my own since I am an engineer by trade, and show them on this forum at some point.

Didn't want to be a dick, but it just suprised me that you didn't take care of this particular issue, while you were at it.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
23 hours ago, Guido B said:

I am the last one to complain about a few scratches and dents here and there. In fact, I have broken almost every single part of my T7 so far.

I take mine on the track, and although it's not for everyone to do that, it showcases very well what the weakpoints of the T7 are. I have dropped mine a few thousand times during my learning curve and learned the hard way, what works and what doesn't.

I try to make mine bulletproof, but light and nimble at the same time. And so I have taken my crashbars off, and replaced the plastics for the beefy type.

It took me one day at the track to find out the next weakest point, which is those tabs that hold the bottom of the side panel.

I understand it's not the main purpose of the part you designed to protect or replace those tabs, but it would be ignorant to ignore those. When they bent they pull the panels in a direction they are not designed in, making the fasteners pop out and leave your sidepanels flopping around. Sure, you'll get home with flopping sidepanels. But I don't think you want to keep riding around like that.

Just throw a rubber dampener in there. The ones with a threaded rod sticking out on both sides. It prevent breaking and bending, and makes sure your sidepanel stays in place. 

I will make my own since I am an engineer by trade, and show them on this forum at some point.

Didn't want to be a dick, but it just suprised me that you didn't take care of this particular issue, while you were at it.

Cheers.

It wasn't a matter of ignoring a known problem. I've beaten the crap out of my bike over the last 4 yrs and my tabs are straight and intact. It appears that I never crush them, and you always do. Sorting out a fairing bracket for the right side isn't a huge challenge... maybe we'll call it the Guido Tab 😉 

IMG_0289.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

It wasn't a matter of ignoring a known problem. I've beaten the crap out of my bike over the last 4 yrs and my tabs are straight and intact. It appears that I never crush them, and you always do. Sorting out a fairing bracket for the right side isn't a huge challenge... maybe we'll call it the Guido Tab 😉 

IMG_0289.jpg

But did you ride without crash bars for 4 years? I just can't imagine my tabs are crushed within a few hours, and yours stay intact after 4 years of abuse.

Would be an honour if you would call it the Guido Tab🤣

All kidding aside.  Have a few friends that had the exact same issue. It can't be a coincidence. I know people that are hesitate to take off their crash bars because of this issue.

You would sell more of these if you would incorperate something that would prevent it. Just saying...

20240423_221500.jpg.01ba2d3e205c0812b2f234d82a7ef3f9.jpg

Edited by Guido B