Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Problems after changing clutch lever

nullsson

Hey,

I decided to modify my bike for the first time by changing to a new set of short levers, I swapped the brake lever without any problems but when it was time to change the clutch lever I had tons of problems fitting the clutch cable into the lever, the cable was just too tight.

I tried a bunch of things like pushing the clutch on the engine with my fingers to release the cable a bit and then i tried to fully release the cable from the lever on the engine but then I had problems getting it back on.. I eventually I just got it on normally by pulling the clutch lever as I I fit the cable into it and i finally got it into its place.

The problem is now that the clutch is very hard or tight, there is absolutely zero free play and I have already screwed the free-play screw above the lever to the max.. I read in the manual that If I can't achieve the free-play I want I can go down the the two nuts near the engine to get some more but unfortunately I have the OEM crash bars that are in the way so after 3 hours of work I have to wait untill tomorrow to try get those off before I can adjust the two nuts.

However me sitting here and thinking about it I really wonder if those two nuts will help me because there is no slack or free play down at the engine either, the lever there sits so hard and I cannot nudge it with my fingers (I don't know if I should but I tried really hard to push it with my hand without any success).

My question is basically how can those two nuts give me some more freeplay up at the lever when theres no free play down there either? Can i have done something wrong? Im worried that I'll break something or already have broken something.

I tried riding around a big on the parking lot and the clutch works as I expect it to, It does fully disengage and engage when I pull or release it but theres no way it should be that hard of a pull..

I’d guess you should have plenty of adjustment left at the engine end of the cable.

Just back the inner nut back a bit to increase the play.

Edited by Alan M
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Alan M said:

I’d guess you should have plenty of adjustment left at the engine end of the cable.

Just back the inner nut back a bit to increase the play.

I took a photo of how it looks by the two nuts, I don't know if that is plenty or not but I guess there is a bit more left.

However I don't see how turning this nut will magically give me more play, the lever down at the engine is holding on really tight and up at the lever is really hard as well. Where does the play come from if I turn this nut?

IMG_1518.jpg

I don't know if it matters or helps any but I recorded a video where I tug a bit on it to show what I mean

Edited by nullsson

Trust the manual, it really is magic. 

I’m pretty sure I have the same levers as you and I remember having to adjust down at the engine end.

By adjusting the cable at either end you are shortening or lengthening the distance between the lever and the clutch arm. Since the distance between the two is changing and the cable length is staying the same you will be reducing or adding tension to the cable. 

Good luck, it’ll all make sense once you do it!

EA293F85-5B46-43DB-AE0E-2D58DB0F1D76.png

Edited by Samm
  • Like 2

It’s not magic 🙈

There’s 2 pivot points on the clutch pull, one at the bar end with a thumb screw and one at the engine lever end. You need to change the pivot point at the engine end by adjusting the nuts.

Edited by Alan M

As you adjust those 2 nuts the length of the outer cable becomes shorter in theory giving you a longer inner cable 

I removed the crash bars (Was quite tricky because the bolt above the engine had rusted and just wouldnt turn and I didn't really have the best tools for it) and successfully adjusted the nuts. 

I adjusted the nuts a bit more than I needed to in order to have more room to play with the adjustment on the handlebar, now I got the play I wanted and also adjusted it to feel good when im riding. 

The clutch is still quite hard to pull in with 2 fingers compared to with 4 that I used for my old levers but I am waiting for a delivery of the camel 1 finger clutch kit which I hope will solve that.

A question that I have regarding the nuts I adjusted, in the image of how my nuts look now after adjustment there is almost nothing left to adjust down there, is that something bad or is it supposed to end up looking like that?

Will the 1 finger clutch kit help me move those nuts back or does this indicate that I should think about a new clutch cable?

IMG_1525.jpg