Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

HELP, on ADV trip, sudden engine light, stalls

Sakster

Question

Hi Guys-

Need help, bought my dream T7 (2024)  4 weeks ago in LA, brand new.

Driving it down to South Mexico and this problem has suddenly appeared.

I cant find anything physically wrong but I suddenly have Engine Light and the bike keeps stalling or trouble starting, also not revving properly seems to delay if i punch the accelerator. I can drive but constantly concerned about engine stalling and shutting off.

Luckily I only had to drive the bike 30 miles after the problem suddenly appeared. Since the bike was planned to be shipped to next destination : Cancun , where their is supposedly a reputable dealer. Before I see the dealer I have 5-7 days and am ordering an OBD2 unit to try reading the Engine Fault. (Ansel BD 200 OR Veepeak wifi + obd fusion-- RECOMMENDATIONS?

The bike only has 1731 miles as of now. Does anyone know what the hell could possibly cause a brand new bike to do this: maybe dirty fuel? Although I never bought fuel anywhere but Gas stations) 

PLS HELP/ADVISE, ALL ADVICE WELCOME, I'm no mechanic but can do basic stuff.

PS I did have the 600 mile oil change done in a small shop, but I was there watching like a hawk and they used Yamaha brand oil (10w40) and an oil filter I provided which I my self brought from USA knowing the 600 mile oil change would be required on the trip. Went smoothly, no issues.

17 answers to this question

Just to be sure:

- air filter clean?

- coolant level ok?

- as you said, bad fuel? Might have clogged the spark plugs or (more likely) the injection nozzles?

The CP2 engine is very reliable, so it's rather difficult to tell from the distance what might be wrong (there's nothing like "typical problem, do this and that").

Hope you'll sort it out soon! Good luck!

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Since you've got an OBD reader coming, you'll be able to check for codes which sounds like a good course of diagnosis. In the meantime you could try checking the fuel tank breather/ overflow hose (#4 on pg. 7-1)  to confirm it hasn't gotten pinched.  Realizing your 2024 may slightly different than this older Service Manual denotes, but it should be very similar in configuration. 

Shared with Dropbox

As @Tenerider suggested,  it possibly could be bad gas so one option is to drain/ siphon out your fuel and add a know clean source of the highest octane you can locate.  Also, a fuel cleaner such as Startron or Seafoam is cheap and easy to try. 

Let us know what you find out and good luck!

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

5 minutes ago, Sakster said:

Thanks will check as soon as i have bike back - How to fix the bad fuel/ clogged spark plugs/injection nozzles?

The simplest solution for fixing it on the road seems to be what @AZJW suggested: Drain the tank and refill with the highest octane fuel you can get. Since your bike still starts, this should do it, if the faulty behaviour was caused by bad fuel.

• Like 2

Also check:

battery connections are nice and tight.  They can produce strange results if loose.

Side stand cut off relay - damaged relay or weak/ incorrectly mounted spring will let relay trip when you hit bumps - killing engine, loss of power

• Like 5

Agree. The hose doesn't come off by itself. Check the electric connection first. Maybe something or somebody messed with your bike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Just to be sure:

- air filter clean?

- coolant level ok?

- as you said, bad fuel? Might have clogged the spark plugs or (more likely) the injection nozzles?

Thanks will check as soon as i have bike back - How to fix the bad fuel/ clogged spark plugs/injection nozzles?

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

As @Tenerider suggested,  it possibly could be bad gas so one option is to drain/ siphon out your fuel and add a know clean source of the highest octane you can locate.  Also, a fuel cleaner such as Startron or Seafoam is cheap and easy to try. 

Let us know what you find out and good luck!

Thanks, will do as soon as back with bike.

7 hours ago, Gekkdroid said:

Also check:

battery connections are nice and tight.  They can produce strange results if loose.

Side stand cut off relay - damaged relay or weak/ incorrectly mounted spring will let relay trip when you hit bumps - killing engine, loss of power

Might be the ticket - I did connect 1 or 2 peripherals to the terminals . THANKS!!!

• Like 2

Hi again Everyone, just got hands on bike again.
 Updates-

1. Can’t use my OBD yet requires 6 pin not 4 pin( re-ordered)

2. I believe I FOUND the original cause of the problem fuel line going to the epa/carbon cylinder thingy had come off, see photo.

I can’t believe I missed it this long!

Also can’t believe the bike still kept running !

either way reconnected the line but the engine seems to be still acting badly, stalling, not accelerating etc.

Taking to Dealer but would love FEEDBACK , could something be damaged? What to expect ?

IMG_1341.jpeg

Ok after much cajoling got Yamaha to share code-

P0123

Accelerator position sensor is malfunctioning (for now)

IMG_1342.jpeg

Edited by Sakster
  • Like 2

Well that stinks... a new bike giving you crap on a trip. Overall that T7 seems pretty reliable, but that doesn't help you right now... Bummer!

Best of luck to you...

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

13 hours ago, Sakster said:

Hi again Everyone, just got hands on bike again.
 Updates-

1. Can’t use my OBD yet requires 6 pin not 4 pin( re-ordered)

2. I believe I FOUND the original cause of the problem fuel line going to the epa/carbon cylinder thingy had come off, see photo.

I can’t believe I missed it this long!

Also can’t believe the bike still kept running !

either way reconnected the line but the engine seems to be still acting badly, stalling, not accelerating etc.

Taking to Dealer but would love FEEDBACK , could something be damaged? What to expect ?

IMG_1341.jpeg

I don't think that fuel line coming loose will give you any issues since it's basically for vapor/emissions, but others would probably know better.

But isn't that close to where the TPS is? Might be more than a coincidence that the line came loose and you're having problems with the TPS...like a rodent crawled up there and started tinkering around. Maybe scrutinize that area to see if the wires are chewed up or similarly loose.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

15 hours ago, random1781 said:

But isn't that close to where the TPS is? Might be more than a coincidence that the line came loose and you're having problems with the TPS...like a rodent crawled up there and started tinkering around. Maybe scrutinize that area to see if the wires are chewed up or similarly loose.

Thanks, great catch, I'm totally new to the bike and didn't know that. Checking

Guys, I'm having the sensor replaced, and awaiting part. 

Although Yamaha USA says that their is a high probability of the whole throttle assembly being bad(?) they claim it usually is, if the Throttle sensor goes bad.

A new throttle assembly is like $900!!! ignoring the labor!

If indeed the assembly is needed they want me to pay out of pocket for it and they may reimburse me if I get back to the USA if it is identified as a warranty issue (i don't know how the hell it couldn't be a warranty issue)

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THIS IS USUALLY THE CASE?

I have no plans for going back up to USA for a while and I sure as hell don't want to pay another $1000+ on a  brand new bike. This is turning in to a nightmare!

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW YAMAHA WARRANTY WORKS IN THE USA?

ANY COMMENTS, PLS ADVISE???

• Sad 1

On 5/5/2024 at 2:13 AM, Ede-DE said:

Agree. The hose doesn't come off by itself. Check the electric connection first. Maybe something or somebody messed with your bike.

How hard is it to reach the TPS (sensor) ? I have a feeling a wire has been damaged or lessened , although I didn't see any such thing obvious when putting the hose back.

The bike is not in front of me and is in the shop,so if u can give me an idea before I go visit.

Yeah you're probably SOL for any warranty claims. Even if you did make it back to the US, I doubt a dealer would reimburse you without having done any work or examining the problems themselves. I've never heard of anyone replacing the throttle bodies, and this doesn't make sense to me. Sounds more like it's cheaper for the dealership to just swap out the whole assembly.

The manual @AZJW linked to above should have instructions on the TPS. I think it might just be accessible from the side of the bike.

advgoats.com

10 hours ago, Sakster said:

How hard is it to reach the TPS (sensor) ? I have a feeling a wire has been damaged or lessened , although I didn't see any such thing obvious when putting the hose back.

The bike is not in front of me and is in the shop,so if u can give me an idea before I go visit.

The TPS connector can be reached on the bike........it's a little fiddly because the tip-over valve is right there but it can be done.  I disconnected/reconnected mine when troubleshooting my issue.  I did have to remove the Throttle Body Assembly in order to replace the TPS.  It is held on with 2 "tamper resistant" torx screws - I didn't have a driver that was short enough to reach the front one as there's mimimal clearance between the screw and the engine.  Removing the Throttle Body Assembly wasn't as intimidating as it looked.....my only issue was thinking the airbox should come completely out and I never found a way to do that but there is enough clearance to get the Throttle Body out by moving the airbox toward the rear of the bike.