Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New bike, broken rebound adjuster?

Ethos

One of the very first things I did after my first ride was adjust sag.  Job done.

Next was adjusting rebound and compression on the forks.  Job done.

But the shock rebound was very sluggish.  Tried turning clockwise, no clicks and it doesn't stop, just keeps turning.   Also no change in the rebound.

Never encountered this on another bike. Is it common?   I fear the shock needs to come apart to fix.

Edited by Ethos

Never heard of that on a T7. But as far as I know, missing clicks on a rebound adjuster can be a sign of a depressurized reservoir. It's unlikely though that your shock has too low CO2 pressure on a brand new bike. I'd contact the dealer.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Ethos as @Tenerider said, sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Having said that, my T7 as delivered was way off on both fork and rear shock settings and I had to reset everything to oem specs.  After a little riding off-road, I quickly realized the common recommendation to change out the rear spring was a good one.

The Suspension sub-forum has a lot of good guidance on this. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 hours ago, Tenerider said:

shock has too low CO2 pressure 

Nitrogen😉

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ethos said:

One of the very first things I did after my first ride was adjust sag.  Job done.

Next was adjusting rebound and compression on the forks.  Job done.

But the shock rebound was very sluggish.  Tried turning clockwise, no clicks and it doesn't stop, just keeps turning.   Also no change in the rebound.

Never encountered this on another bike. Is it common?   I fear the shock needs to come apart to fix.

Had the exact same issue on my 2021 @ 7,300 km ...the tapered portion of the rebound needle that interfaces with the piston rod had somehow pushed beyond the tapered area & was just spinning freely on the shaft....the fine adjuster threads in the aluminum shock body damage very easily & the manual has several cautions about never exceeding the oem number of clicks...a local suspension shop was able to have a machinist correct the issue...Yamaha does not sell just that portion of the shock body so must buy an entire new shock at about $900 Canadian...if I wasn't able to find someone to repair the threads better to buy a quality aftermarket shock.  

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SXXP said:

Nitrogen😉

Of course 😅