Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Why is the T700 so uncomfortable?

Just completed a 3 day 5-600 mile weekend on the roads of northern England 

The Tenere is not a comfy bike 

Stock seat even with an Airhawk is awful (too small and narrow profile)

To alleviate screen buffeting I have added a VStream mid screen and spoiler on top

Even now the buffering is much reduced, now in torrential rain there is no airflow to clear the helmet visor and so it steams up internally (even with a Pinlock) and rain doesn’t clear the from the visor on the outside 

Getting fed up with it 

IMG_6561.jpeg.9a557f91c7fb7e553760c4984576932b.jpegIMG_6569.jpeg.f6060bb729f43280f242d2d07f6dd6d2.jpegIMG_6591.jpeg.a375d9bbbe87b6c7efec8b4f98637a6f.jpeg

Nice bike, it is dress right up!! yeah the seat is not great, but I felt worse, I guess you would have to go with a different seat, they sacrifice comfort for maneuverability but they could've certainly when a bit softer you can't please all rider and all type of riding so choosing the right stock seat is a difficult task. 

Have you try anti fog ?    what kind of helmet are you using ? 

Edited by maddog123
  • Thanks 1

Your right 

I did 1500 miles in Europe last year - not comfy but I love so I put up with it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maddog123 said:

Nice bike, it is dress right up!! yeah the seat is not great, but I felt worse, I guess you would have to go with a different seat, they sacrifice comfort for maneuverability but they could've certainly when a bit softer you can't please all rider and all type of riding so choosing the right stock seat is a difficult task. 

Have you try anti fog ?    what kind of helmet are you using ? 

My 1150 GS Adv is far better in the seat and screen department 

Even my XR400 seat is more comfy 

Shoei Neotec helmet with Pinlock visor insert - the lack of air behind the screen means that driving rain just hangs around the helmet’s visor 

• Moderators

Motorcycle Ergonomics is a big business looking at all the offerings for seats, windscreens, bar risers, bars, foot pegs, etc...  Some bikes just can't be modified to suit an individual and if one can't find the mod within the electrons of this forum, it probably doesn't exist. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Stock seat was destroying my ass. I got the touratech seat and now I can ride all day with minimal discomfort

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JB700 said:

Shoei Neotec helmet with Pinlock visor insert - the lack of air behind the screen means that driving rain just hangs around the helmet’s visor 

all I can say is try some rain X on the outside of you visor. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, maddog123 said:

all I can say is try some rain X on the outside of you visor. 

Is that ok with plastic?

9 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Is that ok with plastic?

there is one specifically for plastic

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Is that ok with plastic?

image.png.d9627446cb9cc024262536e64d656b0c.png

• Like 1

Try a sergent seat not cheap but show me something that is, also Power bronze touring screen, and extended side deflectors you will find them here. https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Categories/52

Also some screen extenders so you can raise or lower the screen to increase the air flow.

Edited by Mapbook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use rainx for plastic on my visor and it works very well.

Edit: 

I also don't find the t7 very comfortable. A mixture of moving around on the seat and standing up on the pegs works for me while doing longer rides.

Edited by neil_
  • Thanks 1

I recently switched from the Yamaha tall rally seat to a Seat Concepts tall comfort seat. Currently on a week long trip, riding all day, and after three days in the saddle, I'm quite satisfied. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also have a Sargent seat for longer rides and it's great.  It's firm but really supportive. I use the oem for shorter more aggressive day trips and the Sargent for longer trips.  Also use the rainx plastic. 

• Thanks 1

You blokes need to harden the $%&^ up! 🤣

If you want to try uncomfortable do a couple of hundred ks on a WR450!

I have the rally seat, use a full mx helmet with goggles and don't have much of a problem.

Rainex is great on the goggles for the odd times it rains in Oz and MotoSkiveez helps the bum.

At 183cm the standard pegs, seat height, and bar height do me fine.

• Haha 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I have stock seat with the 3D mesh cover.

I have found seat needs to break in an it becomes much nicer after some miles and arse time

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, john_aero said:

I have found seat needs to break in an it becomes much nicer after some miles and arse time

I already have a Cool cover on the stock seat and 9000 miles on the bike

Plus Ohlins Suspension - front forks and rear shock

How long should I wait for the uncomfortable stock seat to 'break in'??????

Edited by JB700

At 20,000 miles mine has a nice little ass pocket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JB700 said:

I already have a Cool cover on the stock seat and 9000 miles on the bike

Plus Ohlins Suspension - front forks and rear shock

How long should I wait for the uncomfortable stock seat to 'break in'??????

mine broke in after 2k. however I have a large frame so that might helped speed it along

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, john_aero said:

I have the 3D cool cover for my OEM too and it was a noticable improvement.   But it was next level going to the Sargent seat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT675 said:

I have the 3D cool cover for my OEM too and it was a noticable improvement.   But it was next level going to the Sargent seat.  

Put  a Corbin seat on this afternoon, going to try that

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 8:16 AM, JB700 said:

I was pretty sure based on your first post you were coming off an old school bike.  Those soft couch like seats were pretty awesome for an occasional spin. New style seats in cars, motorcycles, and bicycles all tend toward firm. 

Solution? The Seat Concepts Wide Comfort seat or something similar might do the trick.  As for airflow, meh. Go ride something with really bad airflow for a weekend and the T700 probably won't bother you anymore. 😉

• Thanks 1

i had a cool cover on the OEM seat, after doing an iron butt ride my arse looked like i had been branded with a waffle iron😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JB700 said:

Put  a Corbin seat on this afternoon, going to try that

50 miles tonight with the Corbin...............much better with a decent & wider seat

• Like 2

One upgrade a lot of rally and enduro riders use are mountain bike underwear. they are padded and are cheap way to upgrade the comfort without upgrading the seat.

Moto skivvies are on brand for motorcycles

• Thanks 1