Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

QuickShifter doesn't do 6th?

Anonawesome

Question

Hello, I've searched everywhere for anyone else experiencing this issue, even with other brands of bikes, but I've had no luck. So I'd like to put this out here in case there's any T7 maintenance gurus who might have an idea. 

I have a 2024 standard T7 with less than 600km on the clock so far. I thought the quick shifter was gimmicky at first, but since this bike actually has enough power to ride with a passenger (unlike my dr350), I determined it might make a quality-of-life improvement to install the OEM accessory to make shifts faster, and with less helmet tapping. 

So I picked up the kit, installed it, and activated it without issue. But when I went for a test ride, I discovered it would work fine only up until 5th gear. For some reason it absolutely will not activate to shift into 6th.

I've tried on numerous occasions, making sure I'm not being an idiot and simply not releasing the lever all the way between shifts. That's not the case unfortunately. I also deactivated the quickshifter through the same method, and reactivated it again. No luck. 

The screen displays the correct gear, so I'm not sure why the quickshifter would think it shouldn't come on in 5th as if it thinks it's in the top gear. 

Taking the bike in for warranty is unfortunately not an option. I'm in the military and I've taken the bike overseas. Fun fact, many products' warranties are void if they leave the country. Screw me right? 

I'm absolutely 0 percent afraid of even the heaviest maintenance, but alas I don't have an obscenely expensive Yamaha Diagnostic Tool to read everything the bike is doing, nor do I have a current service manual because a giant book instead of a PDF would be a pain. I don't think it would help in this case anyway. 

So I'm hoping someone can provide some insight as to what might be the issue, before I have to take it to a shop to diagnose. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

The obvious question from me is can you change  into 6th gear manually using the clutch? If not, did it used to change into 6th before the quickshifter was installed?

Cheers 

Rich

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

The obvious question from me is can you change  into 6th gear manually using the clutch? If not, did it used to change into 6th before the quickshifter was installed?

Cheers 

Rich

Yes 6th works just fine with the clutch and displays the correct gear up on the dash. It's just that the quickshifter doesn't want to do that shift. Almost like some system is saying "hey you're already in the top gear, don't cut the ignition anymore", when it's obviously not the case.

21 minutes ago, Anonawesome said:

Yes 6th works just fine with the clutch and displays the correct gear up on the dash. It's just that the quickshifter doesn't want to do that shift. Almost like some system is saying "hey you're already in the top gear, don't cut the ignition anymore", when it's obviously not the case.

That's good to know at least. Sorry I can't help.

I have the first generation T7 and installed a Healtech quickshifter and it works really well I must say. Hope you get you're fixed.

Rich