Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Alternative to high fender...thoughts?

pgeldz

Anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

a_beak_2_1.jpg.b63dcddf612ff537a461ff39d050f7cf.jpg

From this view I like it, but wish there was a photo with the entire bike in the pic so I can see how it looks with the stock fender.

- Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's by Powerbronze,  based in West Sussex.  There should be some better images on there website.  Looks like the classic BMW 'beak'!  Cheers Steve 

1 hour ago, Great Escape said:

It's by Powerbronze,  based in West Sussex.  There should be some better images on there website.  Looks like the classic BMW 'beak'!  Cheers Steve 

That's where I got this image from, haha.  They don't show the full bike though 😞

I've sent them a contact form asking for more images, I like the look of it and think it gives the front a balanced look it was missing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Anyone seen this before? Thoughts?

a_beak_2_1.jpg.b63dcddf612ff537a461ff39d050f7cf.jpg

From this view I like it, but wish there was a photo with the entire bike in the pic so I can see how it looks with the stock fender.

- Paul

I think that would be good on the street, but won't do much to block dirt mud or rocks off-road.  Off-road needs a proper dirtbike fender. 

Plus, does that kit have a front brake line kit? 

Just now, Cruizin said:

I think that would be good on the street, but won't do much to block dirt mud or rocks off-road.  Off-road needs a proper dirtbike fender. 

Plus, does that kit have a front brake line kit? 

I think it's meant for use WITH the stock front fender...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I think that would be good on the street, but won't do much to block dirt mud or rocks off-road.  Off-road needs a proper dirtbike fender.....

You don't need a high fender off road unless there is excessive mud. I guess that depends on where you live? Maybe in places like the UK and parts of Europe it could me muddy year round but where I live I have no problem with the standard fender and I have done a few hundred KM off road so far.

• Like 2

I did a ride to the Finke desert race a few years back & heading into Arkaroola the road was so boggy with clay it built up on the front tyres & blew the front guards of a bmw 800, 2 x ktm 1190 & a  triumph 800, but I think raising the t7 guard on the slots to the most clearance should be enough clearance. I like that with the low guard the radiator gets more air flow & is better protected from rocks & sticks thrown up from the front wheel. But that high guard does look pretty cool.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, manny said:

I did a ride to the Finke desert race a few years back & heading into Arkaroola the road was so boggy with clay it built up on the front tyres & blew the front guards of a bmw 800, 2 x ktm 1190 & a  triumph 800, but I think raising the t7 guard on the slots to the most clearance should be enough clearance. I like that with the low guard the radiator gets more air flow & is better protected from rocks & sticks thrown up from the front wheel. But that high guard does look pretty cool.

Yeah, 4sure those roads after 20mm of rain or more.... Depends on how you travel I suppose out that way. I have been stuck out that way more than once due to rain and i'm always happy to stay put for a day or two until it dries up a bit, assuming you've plenty of food, water and beer then you will be right, and assuming you don't need to be somewhere tomorrow. Also, those roads would be closed in such conditions because a couple of heavy 4WD's can really f@ck up the roads for everyone.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, shaneygrog said:

You don't need a high fender off road unless there is excessive mud. I guess that depends on where you live? Maybe in places like the UK and parts of Europe it could me muddy year round but where I live I have no problem with the standard fender and I have done a few hundred KM off road so far.

I guess all the companies put high fenders on dirt bikes for no reason.

Somewhere on this forum I shared a story where I was riding across a gravel pit and got a rock caught between the tire and the stock fender of my brothers bike, the front wheel locked up and I got launched and damn near died. 

I'm happy that you have ridden off road with success with a low fender, but due to my experience above, and many other's experiences with low fenders over the years, I refuse to ride off road with a low fender. And this is why all dirtbikes have high fenders. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 3:21 PM, pgeldz said:

I think it's meant for use WITH the stock front fender...

Oh, ok. I'd be interested in the pic of how that looks with both high and low fenders.  In that case, what does that little high fender actually do? 

19 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

Yeah, 4sure those roads after 20mm of rain or more.... Depends on how you travel I suppose out that way. I have been stuck out that way more than once due to rain and i'm always happy to stay put for a day or two until it dries up a bit, assuming you've plenty of food, water and beer then you will be right, and assuming you don't need to be somewhere tomorrow. Also, those roads would be closed in such conditions because a couple of heavy 4WD's can really f@ck up the roads for everyone.

Ok, found my story 

• Like 1

Yeah mate, iv'e read it before, you have your experiences and I have mine. I wouldn't consider a high fender on this bike, maybe I'll raise the standard one when I put more aggressive tyres on it but that's it.

You can do with your bike whatever you wish, when you get one and, if it's ok with you I will do with mine what I wish.

6 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I guess all the companies put high fenders on dirt bikes for no reason.

Somewhere on this forum I shared a story where I was riding across a gravel pit and got a rock caught between the tire and the stock fender of my brothers bike, the front wheel locked up and I got launched and damn near died. 

I'm happy that you have ridden off road with success with a low fender, but due to my experience above, and many other's experiences with low fenders over the years, I refuse to ride off road with a low fender. And this is why all dirtbikes have high fenders. 

Did the SR500 you crashed have the chrome metal front guard? I'd expect that if the same thing happened on a T7, the plastic front guard would either deflect or break. The guard on the old SR500 also sat very close to the tyre from memory which wouldn't help. I'm not a fan of the high guard on the T7 for the following reasons, more mud ends up on you and your engine, radiator etc. , it can block airflow to the radiator (as well as the extra mud thrown into it), I don't like the look, they're not as aerodynamic at speed on the road.

Until mine clogs up with mud it will be staying, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I expect the reason no "serious" dirt bikes have low guards is because they are  not really meant to be ridden on the tar for long, unlike the mighty T7 that is a true jack of all trades and not just a dirt bike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

Did the SR500 you crashed have the chrome metal front guard? I'd expect that if the same thing happened on a T7, the plastic front guard would either deflect or break. The guard on the old SR500 also sat very close to the tyre from memory which wouldn't help. I'm not a fan of the high guard on the T7 for the following reasons, more mud ends up on you and your engine, radiator etc. , it can block airflow to the radiator (as well as the extra mud thrown into it), I don't like the look, they're not as aerodynamic at speed on the road.

Until mine clogs up with mud it will be staying, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I expect the reason no "serious" dirt bikes have low guards is because they are  not really meant to be ridden on the tar for long, unlike the mighty T7 that is a true jack of all trades and not just a dirt bike.

It was a chrome fender. And man, if I hadn't got so hurt I think my big brother would have beat my ass for wrecking that bike. 

As for mud clogging up the T7 front fender, just ask @Motoadventure , as evidenced below. 

IMG_2564.thumb.jpg.abb90d6ce2523383bc526

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

It was a chrome fender. And man, if I hadn't got so hurt I think my big brother would have beat my ass for wrecking that bike. 

As for mud clogging up the T7 front fender, just ask @Motoadventure , as evidenced below. 

IMG_2564.thumb.jpg.abb90d6ce2523383bc526

That isn't a T7, it looks like a Beemer??

Edited by Whitey66

Yes High fender / Mudguard and modified break hoses for me all the way. took 3 months to do it including a few test rides but cant exactly ride it anywhere are the moment. 

Hope everyone is OK and keeping safe Mick 

IMG_0084small.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 4/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, Whitey66 said:

That isn't a T7, it looks like a Beemer??

It is a T7. 

It is Mike’s. Yes, Mike “MotoAdventure”.

Staying safe Mike, you and everyone else too I trust.

Central  Mexico a few years ago. A light drizzle turned an easy scenic road in to a mess that caused hours of delays for picking up bikes and removing front fenders when the front wheels locked up.

IMGP2486-L.jpg

IMGP2492-L.jpg

IMGP2505-L.jpg

The high fendered bikes had no issues.

IMGP2488-L.jpg

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

10 hours ago, X Plane said:

It is a T7. 

It is Mike’s. Yes, Mike “MotoAdventure”.

Staying safe Mike, you and everyone else too I trust.

Have another look mate 😀, that bike has different fork tubes, axle clamp, front guard, header pipes etc. I reckon it's a BMW F800 GS .

Edit: If this guy can do this on a T7 with a low guard, I think the standard one will do me just fine 👍 

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

Have another look mate 😀, that bike has different fork tubes, axle clamp, front guard, header pipes etc. I reckon it's a BMW F800 GS ....

I looked again, you are right mate, apologies.

Cruizin may have used his photo he put from somewhere else to make his point.  

Cruizin’s point though was to ask Mike (motoadventure) about his T7 trip and that’s were my mixup has originated from, me thinking it was Mike’s bike T7.

Mike’s story and the real photo below

T7 pic below from Mike’s above trip is what I believe Cruizin was referencing to :

EADCD420-508C-43D4-BBA9-256800752F5A.jpeg

I’ve no real opinion on high guard or not but Mike did convert his T7 to high guard after his T7 front clogged up with mud.

AB166DBF-C0EA-4B87-BECD-145AD3C1E679.jpeg

Edit: That video dude can ride.

12 hours ago, Hogan said:

You mean apart from on every BMW adventure bike made in the past 20 years?

Well it clearly doesn't protect the radiator, and it's definitely not going to protect your face from mud.

And when you look at those BMW adventure bikes, the high 'beak' fender is purely aesthetic as they all come with a standard low fender.

The T7 does have an alternative in that the fender can be raised. How effective that is remains to be seen. However I haven't seen that on any other bike.

There is also the hairy issue of vicious jibes from BMW fan boys if you put such a thing on your Japanese motorcycle...

If you intend on doing a lot of slower riding and mud then a standard dirt bike high fender makes the most sense.

A smaller super moto fender is a middle of the road option

Otherwise what I intend to do is leave it standard and just take it off if I ever find myself in mud - which on such a big heavy bike certainly won't be an intentional move.

Of course the the high 'beak' fender is purely aesthetic, and I was just asking if anyone has seen this on the Tenere 700, since the bike is so new and no one seems to have a full bike pic with this piece installed.

I like the way it looks in the pic, but that could change when I get to see the whole bike with it installed.

🙂

- Paul

• 1 month later...

I found the one I was talking about...

alternative high fender

spacer.png

spacer.png

If it of any interest I have fitted an Acerbis front mudguard / fender.  My intention was to fit it when I plan to venture off road and use the standard one on road - I'm no expert on dirt riding, I've just had bad experiences with mud clogging previous bikes, so I thought I'd give it a try.

DSC_0236[1].JPG