Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Exhaust Slip on muffler what's your fuel economy now?

shaneygrog

I really think it's a crime having the T7 so quiet with this lovely CP2 engine, like a Ducati, we need to hear it!

So all you people with slip on mufflers, what pipe did you get and how has the fuel economy changed since fitting it?

If you have the before and after economy that would be great.

Thanks,

Shane

I've done about half my kms with standard and half with new muffler, average has stayed about 4.6 litres  per 100kms throughout. But i'd say it is more economical with the new muffler as i'm putting it under a lot more load now just to hear that exhaust note, yes i know, i'm just a big kid. If I rode  it now as I did with the original muffler i'm sure it would be more economical with the new one. I don't think economy is one of the reasons I'd buy a muffler, especially if it was a $1000 + unit, you can buy a lot of fuel with $1000. I make my bikes louder to increase performance, lose a bit of weight, sound better and to make them safer. Car drivers will generally hear a loud motorcycle before they see it. 

• Like 1

Cheers Whitey, I agree with your points. I wasn't so much looking at economy as a reason to purchase but more as the only good reason not to purchase, if it was particularly bad with a new muffler compared to the standard one. I really want to hear the bike more, i'm not the only one, oh, and I don't think you are the only big kid here either, not by a long shot. 😜

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

Cheers Whitey, I agree with your points. I wasn't so much looking at economy as a reason to purchase but more as the only good reason not to purchase, if it was particularly bad with a new muffler compared to the standard one. I really want to hear the bike more, i'm not the only one, oh, and I don't think you are the only big kid here either, not by a long shot. 😜

This must be one of the best sounding engines out there... Simple reason to buy an exhaust... Saved weight and your soul starts smiling every time you rev past 4000rpm. 

Good enough reason 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

This must be one of the best sounding engines out there... Simple reason to buy an exhaust... Saved weight and your soul starts smiling every time you rev past 4000rpm. 

Good enough reason 

Mate we all got the same bug!

I remember when the first ever 270. crank parallel twin was released by Yamaha in the TRX 850, way back when. I used to read all about bikes back then, magazines not internet and the only selling point of going 270. was for the sound, or as far as I can remember it was for the sound to try and compete with Ducati. The 270. engine continued in Yamaha bikes only for years, the TRX didn't last too long but the TDM900 did, man I wanted one of those. Now we have the CP2 engine 700cc that's been out the last few years in road bikes, and even Honda and BMW have gone 270. which is royalties for Yamaha I guess. On recent research I found out the other benefit of this configuration of not having both pistons stopping at the same time, like all other motorbike engines in history until the TRX.

Of course, the sound is still a product of such an engine. Not just torque pulses and inertia.

• Like 1