Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Raising Tenere 700 suspension by 1 to 1.5 inches

vegabook

Mainly because I'm 6'3" I'm interested in raising my Tenere 700 by about an inch and a half or so. Can this be done with the standard suspension? I see I can raise it by just under an inch just with a new linkage at the back:

https://www.off-the-road.de/en/700-Tenere/Suspension-Wheels/High-up-kit-Yamaha-Tenere-700.html

But if I do this, do I also have to raise the front forks and if so, how do I do that cost effectively? I see only about 7mm that the forks rise above the fork stem so can I gain those 7mm?  What else can I use to increase the fork's effective length?

What about if I want to go full pro? I know I can buy an aftermarket shock that will probably raise it significantly but again, what about the front?

I already have the rally pack so the 25mm-taller rally seat is fitted. I want to raise it further though.

Edited by vegabook

Hi there,

I did it exactly as you thought it up: Off-the-road lever and the fork pushed through to the maximum. With the rally bench you get a right height (about 95 cm).
The handling is absolutely unproblematic - but that was it before the fork was pushed through.

greetings

Peter

• Like 2

Might want to leave the forks where they are and see if you like the turn in of the bike.. Raising the back should make the bike steer faster, especially with the 21 inch wheel. 

Forks sitting flush on mine at the moment in supermoto trim but I have measured 15mm of room. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Aleks 

17 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Might want to leave the forks where they are and see if you like the turn in of the bike.. Raising the back should make the bike steer faster, especially with the 21 inch wheel. 

Forks sitting flush on mine at the moment in supermoto trim but I have measured 15mm of room. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Aleks 

Hey thanks Aleks - how do you measure 15mm of room? I see only about 5mm, maximum 7mm of room here, or am I missing something? Is there another way to extend the forks?

I will try your turn in suggestion also.

tenereforks.png

4 hours ago, vegabook said:

Hey thanks Aleks - how do you measure 15mm of room? I see only about 5mm, maximum 7mm of room here, or am I missing something? Is there another way to extend the forks?

I will try your turn in suggestion also.

tenereforks.png

When you drop the forks to sit flush with the caps there is 15mm measure by myself before I did it. 

Might not be needed to drop them in your case.

Aleks 

IMG_20200413_152219.jpg

Edited by Aleksandar13
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I know you said you are tall but unless for more ground clearance reason, if bash plate banging off big rocks etc, I can’t really see the advantage of raising the bike more that what can be got from sliding the forks down in yokes and slight rise of rear with linkage. Harder springs would also raise it a bit too but too much and the suspension be all screwed up. Ok you are tall but what type of terrain will you be riding that needs what you’d like. If you have really long legs just add a seat cushion or modify add spacers under seat to raise seat etc. Remember always good to get foot dabbed fully down on off camber ground etc.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, vegabook said:

Mainly because I'm 6'3" I'm interested in raising my Tenere 700 by about an inch and a half or so. Can this be done with the standard suspension? I see I can raise it by just under an inch just with a new linkage at the back:

https://www.off-the-road.de/en/700-Tenere/Suspension-Wheels/High-up-kit-Yamaha-Tenere-700.html

But if I do this, do I also have to raise the front forks and if so, how do I do that cost effectively? I see only about 7mm that the forks rise above the fork stem so can I gain those 7mm?  What else can I use to increase the fork's effective length?

What about if I want to go full pro? I know I can buy an aftermarket shock that will probably raise it significantly but again, what about the front?

I already have the rally pack so the 25mm-taller rally seat is fitted. I want to raise it further though.

Get a stiffer rear spring, so your Rider Sag is set correctly & you will raise seat height by probably 25mm, and the bike will handle better

See video regarding SAG

Edited by Ktmmitch
  • Like 2