Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Earle Motors Alaskan [Ducati Desert Sled]

tenerecanada

• Moderators

An interesting build I spotted. Swingarm extentions, dual fuel tanks, and a 21" front tire on a scrambler. Looks the business too.

6 GALLONS, HAND FORMED TANK

2 GALLON AUXILIARY IN THE HAND FORMED TAIL

21" F. 18" R. WHEEL PACKAGE

KEVLAR SKID PLATE

LOW FENDER

POWERFUL LIGHTING 

CRASH BARS

NARROW SOLO SEAT

SWING ARM EXTENDERS (+3" OF WHEELBASE)

HEAVY DUTY LUGGAGE CARRIER SYSTEM

earlemotors.com

p8.jpg

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Maybe back in 1985 when Paris-Dakar winner Gaston Rahier got built his BMW, it was nice to see such a cobbled together bunch of parts...

But actually? If you are bored with all your silky socks and mouth-blown underpants, you may go and spend a hell of money for something 'individual'?

I am not really interested 😄

• Like 1

This version is the Alaskan. There is an Alaskan junior version. My previous bike was a Desert Sled. Regarding on road performance the Tenere 700 can't beat the Ducati. I have not had the 21-18 conversion so I can't tell but I think the Desert Sled chassis felt more homogenous and rigid. I had a Ducati Scrambler Icon as well before that. Both bikes felt like they had cornering abs and leaning traction control...well they had none, only dual channel abs. Front and rear felt so much connected. I don't know how a 21-18 version would feel...I have not completed more than 1000kms yet and have not fiddled with the Tenere 700 suspension so I can't tell much. The thing is though the Desert Sled has more character than the Yamaha, still it has poorer fuel economy, the fuel light came on @150-180kms and there is no wind protection. Although the air flow is clean without turbulence or buffeting it gets tiring if you ride @ speeds higher than 120km/h. you get wind everywhere...In the end you realize that this bike was not made for touring. EArle version offers more mileage but not sure for the wind protection. Also the Desert Sled with 13.5 liters has wet weight of 207kgs...In the end the fuel consumption goes up because you can't ride a Ducati slow...You want to hear the engine howl @ 6000 rpm and above. The Yamaha feels a lot smoother and is more plush, more relaxed and a better all arounder...The 21-18 version of Earle is without abs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Henry Crew managed to ride round the world on his Desert Sled....which confirms you can do the big trip on any bike at all! I was interested in the Sled, but after a few hours riding one I realized that it is great to ride,  a truly cool bike, but it just wouldn't work for me as a do everything bike...as the T7 does so well! I don't agree about the T7 being lacking in character...when I used to hear people describe it as a good commuter,  or 'really smooth ' I thought it meant boring...but actually it means it's reliable,  and although smooth the MT07 engine is great fun!   Love it..!  Mind you,  it is unbelievably smooth compared to my  no battery,  kick start only  XR650R...there's a character for sure!!   Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

It's true that every bike and every person has a character...I think the Yamaha Tenere 700 is more user friendly and it is an all arounder. Henry Crew wanted to enter the Guiness book...and chose a cool bike to do it. There are people going around the world on a Vespa. or bicycles...but let's face it they were not built for that purpose. Another area I did not like on the Sled was that if you don't have long arms you have to bend to reach the handlebar due to the elongated tank. The Tenere 700 has a Dakarish character and is the most beautiful adve bike...but I'd fancy a lot more a Rally Version a rugged one like this

spacer.png

That version makes a statement...for those who can handle it...not for everyone.

• Like 3

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, al700 said:

It's true that every bike and every person has a character...I think the Yamaha Tenere 700 is more user friendly and it is an all arounder. Henry Crew wanted to enter the Guiness book...and chose a cool bike to do it. There are people going around the world on a Vespa. or bicycles...but let's face it they were not built for that purpose. Another area I did not like on the Sled was that if you don't have long arms you have to bend to reach the handlebar due to the elongated tank. The Tenere 700 has a Dakarish character and is the most beautiful adve bike...but I'd fancy a lot more a Rally Version a rugged one like this

spacer.png

That version makes a statement...for those who can handle it...not for everyone.

That there is the picture that made me throw money down on the T7.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!