Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

TPMS - con's and location

XR_mike_T

Question

Thinking of adding an external sensor any con's? suggested location which is not on the handle bars (like them for controls not displays)

The Careud M3 which is all over Ebay? Michaelin? other? which as the smallest sensor?

Thanks

Edited by XR_mike_T
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 answers to this question

• Premium Member

TPMS is a good idea imho.

The TPMS I have decided on for my bike is the Garmin one, 
I already have a garmin gps that will be going onto my bike (its been with me across multiple bikes) and its compatible with the garmin sensors (which replace your valve stem caps) 

This solution puts the tpms onto a display that is already there, you get audio warnings if there is a problem (as the gps is connected to my headset to give me directions anyway, as well as phone, music, bike to bike comms etc etc) 

Tazmool

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 8:05 AM, XR_mike_T said:

Thinking of adding an external sensor any con's? suggested location which is not on the handle bars (like them for controls not displays)

The Careud M3 which is all over Ebay? Michaelin? other? which as the smallest sensor?

Thanks

I have had Tire monitor pressure system on my Bmw Gs ..and it is a nice feature to have as you can always tell what pressure you have on the tyre... if it is accurate in enough is another thing 🙂 ...

I have bought a measuring gauge that I use to measure my tyre pressure .. Would be interesting to see if you install one and let us know how it goes ..

Aleks 

38 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

TPMS is a good idea imho.

The TPMS I have decided on for my bike is the Garmin one, 
I already have a garmin gps that will be going onto my bike (its been with me across multiple bikes) and its compatible with the garmin sensors (which replace your valve stem caps) 

This solution puts the tpms onto a display that is already there, you get audio warnings if there is a problem (as the gps is connected to my headset to give me directions anyway, as well as phone, music, bike to bike comms etc etc) 

Tazmool

I've got gpsmap 64... Is this compatible with the system you are referring to? 

Maybe you can post a link with the product 👍

• Premium Member

The garmin tpms is just a set of sensors, they have it posted on their sites for whichever country you are purchasing from. 

For example:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744/pn/010-11997-00#overview
Compatibility wise, the sensors only work with a select line of Garmin Zumo gps systems, which is unfortunate.

Tazmool

• Like 2

Have a 595LM myself and didn't bother with TPMS on the WRR but have been thinking about it on the T7. Incorporating it into the existing display instead of another unit for sure.

I have had the FOBO Bike 2 system on my road bike for over a year and it works very well. Readings/warnings are sent to your phone (or other Bluetooth device, e.g. smart watch or audio) so it suits if you are someone who likes to keep a map open on your phone and visible or use a Bluetooth communicator. Pressure readings are very accurate and sensor battery life is very good (no need to change yet at 12 months+). Thoroughly recommended:

Have not fixed a set on the T7, still considering it; as most of my riding is off road I am checking/adjusting pressures quite often to suit riding conditions.

1 hour ago, Heedcase said:

I have had the FOBO Bike 2 system on my road bike for over a year and it works very well. Readings/warnings are sent to your phone (or other Bluetooth device, e.g. smart watch or audio) so it suits if you are someone who likes to keep a map open on your phone and visible or use a Bluetooth communicator. Pressure readings are very accurate and sensor battery life is very good (no need to change yet at 12 months+). Thoroughly recommended:

Have not fixed a set on the T7, still considering it; as most of my riding is off road I am checking/adjusting pressures quite often to suit riding conditions.

Does this with a smartphone still notify you if you have a gps app open like MotionX-GPS and not it’s own app? Ie, does it own app receive updates while in the background?

Yes, I don't know about MotionX-GPS but if the apps I use are open you will receive a visual and audible warning of low pressure. There is also a setting to keep a small notification box on screen above other apps which shows the pressure continuously - see the photo for example.

Screenshot_20200612-134818_Sygic.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 4:35 PM, XR_mike_T said:

Thanks

Just browsing and spotted this ... are you on stock tyres/tubes?  If so TPMS is unlikely to be of that much use, you get a puncture with a tube and the tyre will be flat generally quicker than you'll see the drop on your gauge.  TPMS much more useful with tubeless where you can get slow punctures. 

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀