Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting the bike to remove the wheels

Southcoastbiker

Question

I don’t have a centrestand and have the standard light bash plate, can I manoeuvre the bike onto a plastic crate to remove the front wheel or will I damage the bash plate. I have a tommy lift to raise the back wheel to clean and adjust the rear chain and possibly remove the rear wheel. 

8 answers to this question

Iv'e just had the same problem....got round it using a car jack with a plank of wood under the bash plate...I raised the bike just high enough to ease my MX stand underneath! Bit dodgy but needs must!  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Since there are two down tubes on the bike, there should be plenty of rigidity in the frame and support to pickup the bike that way.  

What I have done in the past is use an A-ladder, put it over the bike, and simply lift the front end (or rear end for that matter) off the ground to do suspension work on bikes.  Even a single ratchet strap will hold the bike up well enough.

Tazmool

• Like 2

Ive had no problems at all using my dirt bike jack (similar to a transmission jack for an auto) to lift the bike for chain, suspension and wheel service.

The bashplate must remain attached since the sump and exhaust both protrude below the level of the 2 lower frame tubes and cause the bike to be unstable if the bashplate is removed.  I'm waiting for my stronger bashplate to arrive but it seems to work just fine with the standard issue.

I'm well aware that the owners manual recommends against this practice but it has worked without any problems so far.

I do try to only keep the bike on the lift while work is in progress not overnight or for extended storage periods.

Edited by ladder106
  • Like 1

I've got floor jacks, jack stands and ramps for cars and trucks in my garage but never had a motorcycle jack or hoist, always had center stands and mx crates (for the lighter dirt bikes). Don't really want to put a center stand on this bike so I spent all of $70 on a moto jack. I've alreay used it many times, including taking the rear wheel off to repair a flat. Works great.

I also found this cool little lift stick  at Chaparral for a whopping $18! A must have for field flat repairs.1734678728_Liftstick.jpg.75a7ffa2a2f9ea590c68b6002c91684c.jpg

Moto jack.jpg

Edited by JohnnieBoy

I have the lift in the bottom of your post on wheels and use it to lift mine and push it sideways in the garage. To me the weak point is the castings that the down tube cradles attach to but i haven't broke one yet.

With the OEM bash plate on I've welded different supporting bolts  for my bike lift. Safe and stabile.WP_20191115_17_34_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.41b1749d54b2fc4eb0abdca0a730d2dd.jpgWP_20191115_17_36_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.3954b3a893915bca375a8cc82357217c.jpgWP_20191115_17_44_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.9d26d841c81246971e294b529c880b01.jpgWP_20191115_17_44_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.a985b79763470a165aa50ec7e268ca8c.jpg

• Like 1

Super stable & risk free? No 

Has it failed me yet? No

Works in the shop & on the trail? Yes

Do I  trust it? Definitely 

Cinch the front brake or put the bike in gear depending on which wheel is being removed. Crack all fasteners loose beforehand to avoid torquing the bike around while lifted. 
  Homemade price, small & light enough to live in the onboard tool kit.

F83BDC91-9CCB-4BFA-8437-8EA0CA1F30CB.jpeg

• Like 4

I picked up the 1100lb bike lift from Princess Auto (Harbor Freight) for about 120bucks CAD.  Works just fine on the OEM skid to get the bike in the air.  Had it up for a couple days while I got new rubber put on both wheels.  Didn't notice any extra damage to the "plate".  On trips I carry the endurostar trail stand to get a wheel up for changes or chain maintenance.  Also has worked flawlessly, but its a little finicky to get the front up. 

• Like 1