Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Scotoiler

Nige T

Hi all

Just added my Mini scotoiler today, straight forward and instruction can be found on the scout oiler Web site. This one I had on my old DRZ and just transfered it over. 

Hopefully less chain adjusting. 

IMG_20200417_141432.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I guess you took the vacuum feed off the spigot which sits on top of the RH throttle body?  Whilst the spigot can be readily seen, it seems impossible to get to it (at least with my big hands) to take off the cap and fit the Scotoiler's rubber elbow, at least not without a certain amount of dismantling of obstacles in the way.  Did you have to remove anything to get to the spigot?.... the obvious thing is the TPS cabling, but even with this removed I'm not sure the clear space will be enough.  Thanks.

Long handled needle nose pliers and the cap pops right off. Put the Scottoiler elbow on the same way. Quick and easy.

Here's some pics of my install.

Ran the tubing over the chain roller, along the front of the swingarm (attached with cable ties), through the swingarm on the right side plug, and our the inside the the left side of the swingarm and to the chain guide where I fitted the drip tube. Crash/brush resistant and clean.

IMG_20200608_203358 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203242 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203334 small.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Premium Member

Nice install!

I've been debating installing my scoittoiler on my T7.
Can you show some detailed photos of the nozzle at the sprocket?  that last photo is pretty good, but would love to see a few more angles?  

Did you use the dual nozzle?  (I think its called scorpion?) 

Tazmool

2 hours ago, markvb said:

Hi,

I guess you took the vacuum feed off the spigot which sits on top of the RH throttle body?  Whilst the spigot can be readily seen, it seems impossible to get to it (at least with my big hands) to take off the cap and fit the Scotoiler's rubber elbow, at least not without a certain amount of dismantling of obstacles in the way.  Did you have to remove anything to get to the spigot?.... the obvious thing is the TPS cabling, but even with this removed I'm not sure the clear space will be enough.  Thanks.

Ok, having unplugged the TPS cabling, which makes for more space to access the vacuum spigot,I've answered my own question.... there's enough room to get the OEM cap off and the Scottoil elbow on the spigot.  As Canzvt says above, a pair of long nosed pliers can assist, if needs be.  Needless to say, attach the vacuum tubing to the elbow before fitting it to the spigot - if not, the elbow is bound to fall down into the depths of the motor, never to be seen again!

And that's a neat touch of Canzvt's in running the delivery tube through the swing arm.

7 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Nice install!

Can you show some detailed photos of the nozzle at the sprocket?  that last photo is pretty good, but would love to see a few more angles?  

Tazmool

I'll try to get some more photos of the install tonight. The hose holder is the factory one that came with the Scottoiler, but the hose bend was reversed in order to get a better 'shot' at the sprocket. This is mounted to the Yamaha accessory chain guide via a 5mm drilled and tapped hole on the inner top side of the 2 piece guide.

According to Scottoiler, you don't require the dual nozzle (Scorpion) as capillary pressure will allow the oil to travel inside the roller to lube the other side. Not sure if it does, or not, but I only installed a single point lube hose. I've fitted a few SO's to bikes and have had them get ripped/pulled/somehow dislodged off of dirt oriented bikes, hence I wanted this install to be as clean and tidy as possible in terms of things ripping it off.

The ONLY downside I've seen so far with this install is that the hose goes initially over the chain roller which is higher in elevation than the bottom of the SO. So since the SO is NOT a pump, when the reservoir is about 1/3 full, it is essentially empty. Something I'm happy to live with as a trade-off to the clean install.

7 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Nice install!

Tazmool

I'll try to get some more photos of the install tonight. The hose holder is the factory one that came with the Scottoiler, but the hose bend was reversed in order to get a better 'shot' at the sprocket. This is mounted to the Yamaha accessory chain guide via a 5mm drilled and tapped hole on the inner top side of the 2 piece guide.

According to Scottoiler, you don't require the dual nozzle (Scorpion) as capillary pressure will allow the oil to travel inside the roller to lube the other side. Not sure if it does, or not, but I only installed a single point lube hose. I've fitted a few SO's to bikes and have had them get ripped/pulled/somehow dislodged off of dirt oriented bikes, hence I wanted this install to be as clean and tidy as possible in terms of things ripping it off.

The ONLY downside I've seen so far with this install is that the hose goes initially over the chain roller which is higher in elevation than the bottom of the SO. So since the SO is NOT a pump, when the reservoir is about 1/3 full, it is essentially empty. Something I'm happy to live with as a trade-off to the clean install.

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

The delivery tube (hose) can be higher than the reservoir, no problem.  So long as the dispenser nozzle is lower than the reservoir, it will work (by capillary action) and all the oil in the reservoir will be used up, but only if the reservoir is vertical.  Where it's at an angle, there will always be some oil left in line with the reservoir's outlet valve which is near to (but not at) the bottom centre of the reservoir.    With Scottoil's high capacity reservoir - which is fitted behind the rear number plate - the delivery tube is generally run up and under the seat before dropping down to the swing arm, resulting in a substantial length of tube at a higher level than the reservoir (I've a couple of other bikes with this arrangement - ref. the pic below where you can see the delivery tube run up/over the mudguard; you can also see the tube where it exits the reservoir, by the lower edge of the number plate).

131.thumb.jpg.f3092305ab8f778a83da72e657e9f401.jpg

Edited by markvb

4 minutes ago, markvb said:

The delivery tube (hose) can be higher than the reservoir, no problem.  So long as the dispenser nozzle is lower than the reservoir, it will work (by capillary action) and all the oil in the reservoir will be used up, but only if the reservoir is vertical.  Where it's at an angle, there will always be some oil left in line with the reservoir's outlet valve which is near to (but not at) the bottom centre of the reservoir.    With Scottoil's high capacity reservoir - which is fitted behind the rear number plate - the delivery tube is generally run up and under the seat before dropping down to the swing arm, resulting in a substantial length of tube at a higher level than the reservoir (I've a couple of other bikes with this arrangement - ref. the pic below where you can see the delivery tube run up/over the mudguard; you can also see the tube where it exits the reservoir, by the lower edge of the number plate).

131.thumb.jpg.f3092305ab8f778a83da72e657e9f401.jpgfitted

Good to know! Thanks. I haven't run mine dry yet, so looking forward to that working.

Here's a pick of the lube tube mounting to the Yamaha accessory chain guide as viewed from above over the swingarm, but under the top chain and chain guard.

IMG_20200717_082615.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Using the Scott Oiler fill adapter and the short hose to the full oil bottle, filling can be done from the right side, reaching under the fender/rear section and above/in front of the rear wheel. Tight fit, but no problem.

Edited by Canzvt
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just to reboot the topic as I was going to lazily ask about the vacuum connection without looking at it,  bone idle I know.
A little addition. Dual injectors are 100% better than a single. Scottoil are full of it with one injector, as by the time you increase it enough to transfer across to the other o ring, it’s flying off everywhere. including the rear tyre😳. Dual injector is bang on. No mess. 

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Just to reboot the topic as I was going to lazily ask about the vacuum connection without looking at it,  bone idle I know.
A little addition. Dual injectors are 100% better than a single. Scottoil are full of it with one injector, as by the time you increase it enough to transfer across to the other o ring, it’s flying off everywhere. including the rear tyre😳. Dual injector is bang on. No mess. 

I can't speak for Scottoilers, but with the Tutoro it's pretty clear that one nozzle or two is irrelevant, as capillary action draws the oil across the teeth and it lubricates both sides of the chain.  The thing is, if you're starting with a dry chain and sprocket, it'll appear to only lubricate one side initially.  If you just wait, you end up with equal coverage on both sides of the chain and it works perfectly.  Just got to have a bit of patience.  Not only the other oring, but it'll even coat the outside of the other side plates. 

From the Tutoro guys themselves:

Please note we no longer manufacture the Twin Feed nozzle
Long term extensive testing has revealed that there is no appreciable benefit of the Twin Feed over the Single feed nozzle.

However we have provided the following information to support our customers who already have the twin feed nozzle and wish to continue using it.

Sauce: Have Tutoro's on both my current bikes and my prior one, nearly a hundred thousand km's now with the oilers.  Zero chain maintenance with them - I never clean or lube my chains manually anymore.  I ran dual feed initially, replaced with single after I damaged it.  At the manufacturers advice I have been running single ever since.  No excessive oil fling, equal lubrication across both sides of the chains.  And it's crucial that be there, as I ride in literal brine all winter - if it wasn't working, the inside of my chains would be a disaster.  You just need to give the oil time to build a film across the sprocket teeth. 

And as there's no real difference in how the oil is applied to the rear sprocket, the Tutoro and Scottoiler should work identically in this regard.

With that said, it MAY matter what oil you're using.  I'm following Tutoro's direction, and running a mineral hydraulic oil ISO 68/100 in mine, as sourcing the stock oil from overseas was silly.  It's just a couple dollars per gallon, and that goes a very, very long ways.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:33 AM, Canzvt said:

Long handled needle nose pliers and the cap pops right off. Put the Scottoiler elbow on the same way. Quick and easy.

Here's some pics of my install.

Ran the tubing over the chain roller, along the front of the swingarm (attached with cable ties), through the swingarm on the right side plug, and our the inside the the left side of the swingarm and to the chain guide where I fitted the drip tube. Crash/brush resistant and clean.

IMG_20200608_203358 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203242 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203334 small.jpg

Oh, my god.  This is awesome.  Man, I wish I'd saw this before I installed my oiler.  Running *through* the swingarm is brilliant.  What a great idea. 

Edit: And using the guard too.  Totally protect the whole assembly where it's most vulnerable.  Damn, man, this is great.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thanks 1