Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

clutch pull

bill

Hi I have lengthened the lever on the engine by about 6 mm because of a hand injury to make the lever pull a little easier

21-04-20 135.JPG

• Like 5

Good job!

In ‘79 I broke a few bones in the left hand dodging  a crown vic.

Fishing yesterday the damn thing locked up again.

Arthritis ,happens.

Been following  the Rekluse thread but it is nice to see an alternative! 

8 hours ago, TimmyTheHog said:

no issue disengaging the clutch?

No the clutch works correctly and very comfortable  and i have the levers from my last 900 tracer gt on the T7 (cheep CNC from china).

21-04-20 140.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, bill said:

Hi I have lengthened the lever on the engine by about 6 mm because of a hand injury to make the lever pull a little easier

21-04-20 135.JPG

How hard is it to make one ? ... any more photos available ?

This is what I wanted to build as well ... waiting for my T7 now ... 

• Premium Member

I know most people would scoff at the idea (but only because they have not tried one, ever, or try one with an open mind), and I'm not saying to jump ship, but Honda's DCT is a marvel of technology.

When I had my VFR1200X-DA  (DCT version) the tranny was hands down one of the best features (that engine was very good too) 

Not having to shift, or every worry about gears or clutch, and the way the system was almost ESP like with how well it worked, it definitely seemed to be one of the most overlooked features.  You also had full manual control if you wanted to, and could shift gears mid corner, or in situations where it would be impossible to shift gears on a normal bike, the DCT made it effortless.

The DCT/engine combo is probably the only thing I do miss from that Crosstourer. 

Tazmool

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 1:57 PM, bill said:

21-04-20 135.JPG

Great job! But for this to be a tech tip, you need to explain/show how you did it please. 

4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Great job! But for this to be a tech tip, you need to explain/show how you did it please. 

Hi I don`t have any other photos whilst doing this mod.What i did was to cut the end off where the cable fixes and add 6 mm

of metal by welding it back together and cleaning it up with file and then painting it as you can probably see Thanks Bill

So I guess this improves two things:

1. it's now easier to pull the clutch?

2. does it make it more linear as well?

Is everyone happy with the way the clutch engages? I was negatively surprised that out of the cca 8cm of clutch pull, only about the first 2cm are actually doing anything. Riding around town is thus full of jerky starts as it is difficult to release the clutch smoothly. My bike has 1800km so it's run in so I would not expect this to become much better.

Maybe an extended clutch lever on the engine like above? I find it odd nobody sells that one, maybe it's something wrong only in my case and everyone else is perfectly happy with theirs??

Or Rekluse TORQ-DRIVE CLUTCH but that is indicated as STREET so not sure it's designed for offroad?
Edited by Spuzvica

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hogan said:

I would say that is pretty typical of any motorcycle clutch. Hydraulic clutches even more so because they have zero free play by design.

It's designed that way so that you can release the clutch fully with just one or two fingers. If the friction zone was right off the bar you wouldn't be able to do that - the lever would hit your other fingers before the clutch was released

You can adjust the knob right in to bring the friction zone closer to the bars, though even with my gigantic hands, and the adjuster right up against the perch, I can still fully release the clutch with two fingers when wearing dirt bike gloves (not so with leather gauntlets), so perhaps the stock design is not the most user friendly for small and average sized hands?

There is always the option of aftermarket, adjustable levers.

Also if you are a four fingers kind of person I'd recommend learning to use the clutch with just two fingers - the index and middle fingers. It allows you to modulate the clutch and maintain steering control at the same time. When you have four fingers on the clutch then you can only control the bars in both directions with your right hand, which creates an imbalance in your body.

Learning to use two fingers then leads to being able to learn more advance maneuvers like full lock turns.

Changed mine to adjustable levers and it does make a huge difference to the feel and you are spot on... You get better control of the bike at slow speeds but also can change gear a lot better.. This is my experience after changing them. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Changed mine to adjustable levers and it does make a huge difference to the feel and you are spot on... You get better control of the bike at slow speeds but also can change gear a lot better.. This is my experience after changing them. 

Aleks 

Can you recommend which levers you got?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

Can you recommend which levers you got?

I have bought Lextek leveres fro MT07 ...there is a picture on a thread on this forum... but I am unable to look now 😄 ... I am at work.. 

Aleks

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:37 PM, Tazmool said:

I know most people would scoff at the idea (but only because they have not tried one, ever, or try one with an open mind), and I'm not saying to jump ship, but Honda's DCT is a marvel of technology.

When I had my VFR1200X-DA  (DCT version) the tranny was hands down one of the best features (that engine was very good too) 

Not having to shift, or every worry about gears or clutch, and the way the system was almost ESP like with how well it worked, it definitely seemed to be one of the most overlooked features.  You also had full manual control if you wanted to, and could shift gears mid corner, or in situations where it would be impossible to shift gears on a normal bike, the DCT made it effortless.

The DCT/engine combo is probably the only thing I do miss from that Crosstourer. 

Tazmool

yes the Honda DCT is a marvel of engineering. Love my DCT Africa Twin. It is on enjoyable to ride motorcycle.

• 6 months later...

I would think lengthening that lever provides two things -an easier pull and over a longer range of pull which off road would be an advantage. On road would depend. I see Camel ADV is developing o e with three holes to suit your tastes or provide a street and off road setting. Cool.  I have a set of Midwest Mountain Engineering shorty levers on my 2013 KTM. They changed the pivot point of the lever so from the lever end I get both those advantages.

Edited by KTM2smoker

IMG_5157_medium.jpg?v=1606958812

The 1 Finger Clutch Kit we designed for the KTM 790ADV has been our best selling product EVER! We've been swamped with requests for a similar kit for the wildly popular Yamaha 700 Tenere. We happy to announce the T7 1 Finger Clutch kits are in production and due shortly! Using all the...

Cory at Camel ADV is developing a 1 finger clutch kit for the T7 based on his very popular KTM 790 equivalent