Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Post your Tenere 700 off road stock suspension settings

Cruizin

What are your settings at for off road riding on stock suspension?  Im a heavy rider, so plan on upgrading fork springs, revalving and swapping out rear shock eventually, but will probably be riding stock this summer and taking it easy. 

Thoughts? 

After a couple of months ownership, and close to 2000 KM which includes lots of dirt I thought it was time to set the sag. With myself (87 KG) in riding boots but no other gear, 12 KG on the back seat and a 3/4 full tank I found 5 clicks out from hardest on the rear preload gave me 60 MM of sag. Keep in mind I ditched the standard muffler for a Barrett slip on, that's around 1.5 or 2 KG saving from standard. Apart from bark busters the bike is otherwise stock. I haven't yet checked the front sag but it's not adjustable anyway, without adding spacers to the forks.

I'm of the mind that the bike is pretty good as it is and don't ever expect to throw $2K or more on suspension, but maybe I might change my mind on that one day. I'm lucky to have some pretty rough terrain, not single track but rugged tracks, not just gravel roads to test the bike on. The front end in particular can get out of sorts on a fast section of jagged rocks but apart from that it seems to handle things quiet ok. I don't do jumps on this bike yet, and it doesn't bottom out for me, keep in mind that 12 KG on the back was to mostly compensate for luggage and I take it easy with gear on the back, weather it be shopping or camping, usually if i'm going at it on rough tracks I would only have one KG of water on the back seat.

20200426_091033.jpg

Edited by shaneygrog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the beginning I was going to ride easy,  but no way. It's such a nice bike  it wants you to ride faster and faster😉.

A few months ago I thought the suspension was fine for me, but as I've changed my riding style for more aggressive I've realized that there is  something to do about it. A few days ago I almost crashed my bike riding about 90km/h on straight bumpy track. Simply the springs are too soft for me, rear is bottoming very often.  My suspension is stock, my weight is about 93kg without gear.

Rear preload 24 clicks, rebound damping 15 clicks, compression damping 12 clicks,  static sag 30mm, rider sag 70mm without gear. Front suspension, rebound damping 20 clicks, compression damping 15 clicks, static sag 40mm. It looks like  I can't get the right rear and front sag. My plan is simple, for the rear I will change the spring for  stiffer one (90 N/mm) and change the linkage bones to lift the bike by 25mm. For the front, temporary I will put 5mm nylon spacer to get more preload. What do you think about it?

For easy riding the suspension is fine. 

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I run 3 clicks from full compression and 8 clicks back for rebound on the front.

On the rear I am running compression 4 clicks from full and rebound at 12 clicks back from full.

I am still tweaking it but there it seems ok but not great. I use all the front Suspension so I need a heavier spring in the front. The 95Nm one in the rear seems to over power the damping. But is the perfect rate for me.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

4 clicks from full compression means you go fully clockwise and then you go 4 clicks anticlockwise?

I know that full preload means when you turn the knob fully clockwise. Does the same apply with compression and rebound?

When you turn the screw fully clockwise does it mean full compression and full rebound?

And when you say 4 clicks in it means 4 clicks clockwise or anticlockwise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, al700 said:

4 clicks from full compression means you go fully clockwise and then you go 4 clicks anticlockwise?

I know that full preload means when you turn the knob fully clockwise. Does the same apply with compression and rebound?

When you turn the screw fully clockwise does it mean full compression and full rebound?

And when you say 4 clicks in it means 4 clicks clockwise or anticlockwise?

Yes exactly that. It tells you in the manual.

Rich

• Like 1

The thing is my manual is not in english and now that I think of it I will look for the english manual. it will be easier to understand...Now that I think it more I have the sense the bike has been set up the opposite it should be. I must get the english manual.

The rear shock was set 15 clicks anticlock wise for compression and 13 clicks anti clockwise for rebound...

Edited by al700

According to the English manual my suspension is set up correctly...I think the lowering link has disturbed the balance of the bike and it must be set up differently. In any case the rear of the bike feels too soft. And I am only 75 kgs with gear...

32 minutes ago, al700 said:

The thing is my manual is not in english and now that I think of it I will look for the english manual. it will be easier to understand...Now that I think it more I have the sense the bike has been set up the opposite it should be. I must get the english manual.

The rear shock was set 15 clicks anticlock wise for compression and 13 clicks anti clockwise for rebound...

We have an English svc manual in our tech tips section 

I got it and it seems my rear shock is set according to the manuals specs but I have to fiddle with the settings of the rear shock to bring it where I want it to be. I think that lowering link is messing things around.

• 4 weeks later...

NOTE: Updated measurements in a later post in this thread
My measurements and suspension setting (for mixed use light off road, gravel and tarmac):

Conditions:

Preload rear was set to 7 clicks clockwise from minimum preload which is fully anti-clockwise)

My weight with all my gear I use most when riding was 89 kg (no luggage but camelback with water). The bike was full of all liquids (full gasoline tank, ready to race).

Suspension travel rear is 200 mm.

Suspension travel front is 210 mm.

Measurements of the sag rear:

Measured from top of rear axel 90 degrees up to a marked point on fairing:

Rear wheel free from ground: 593 mm
Rear wheel loaded with bike weight only: 562 mm

Rear wheel loaded with bike and rider/gear: 523 mm

Calculations:

Static sag is 593 - 562 mm = 31 mm which is 15,5% of 200 mm

Rider sag is 593 - 523 mm = 70 mm which is 35% of 200 mm

Conclusion rear : Not far off, cranked in 2 more clicks clockwise on preload. Will crank in a bit more when riding with luggage which I always try to keep light. (about 15 kg)

Measurement sag front:

Mounted a cable tie when front wheel was fully off ground.

Static sag is 44 mm which is 21% of 210 mm

Rider sag is 60 mm which is 29% of 210 mm

Conclusions front: Not far off, free sag is a bit high, rider sag OK. There is no preload adjuster for the fork. Will consider buying fork caps which has a preload adjuster.

Adjustments of damping:

I dont like to much damping off road as I ride in a moderat pace and dont do any big jumps. I like it quite plush and comfortable. But I also like to ride quite «active» on the paved mountain roads, then the bike should have a firmer setup. It will be a compromise.

Damper settings to start with:

Front:

Front rebound (adjuster on top): 18 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise. Fully clockwise is the hardest setting and there are 31 clicks anticlockwise from that setting.

Front compression (adjuster under rubber at bottom of fork) 12 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise. There are 20 clicks total (as I counted, manual states 22).

Rear:

Rear rebound, I set it 16 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise which is the hardest settings. I counted 23 clicks total.

Rear compression, I set it 13 clicks anti-clockwise from what should be the hardest setting. I just found 15 clicks total, but manual states it should be 18 clicks. In other words I set it 2 clocks from the softest. Didnt want to use much force trying to find more clicks. It has been reported that the compression settings on this bike doesn’t change the compression damping very much.

Summary of adjustments:
Preload rear 9 clicks clockwise from minimum preload (max is 24, standard setting is 10)

Rebound front 18 clicks anti-clockwise (out from hardest setting) (max is 31, standard setting 17)
Compression front 12 clicks anti-clockwise (out from hardest setting) (max is 22, standard setting 11)

Rebound rear 16 clicks anti-clockwise (out from hardest setting) (max ix 23, standard setting is 13)
Compression rear 2 clicks from fully anti-clockwise (manual states there is max is 18 clicks total with a standard setting of 15 clicks anti clockwise from hardest setting, I found just 15 clicks and adjusted it 13 from the hardest)

Here is a video of my work: 

Edited by Trollbiker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:17 AM, Trollbiker said:

My measurements and suspension setting (for mixed use light off road, gravel and tarmac):

Conditions:

Preload rear was set to 7 clicks clockwise from minimum preload which is fully anti-clockwise)

My weight with all my gear I use most when riding was 89 kg (no luggage but camelback with water). The bike was full of all liquids (full gasoline tank, ready to race).

Suspension travel rear is 200 mm.

Suspension travel front is 210 mm.

Measurements of the sag rear:

Measured from top of rear axel 90 degrees up to a marked point on fairing:

Rear wheel free from ground: 593 mm
Rear wheel loaded with bike weight only: 562 mm

Rear wheel loaded with bike and rider/gear: 523 mm

Calculations:

Static sag is 593 - 562 mm = 31 mm which is 15,5% of 200 mm

Rider sag is 593 - 523 mm = 70 mm which is 35% of 200 mm

Conclusion rear : Not far off, cranked in 2 more clicks clockwise on preload. Will crank in a bit more when riding with luggage which I always try to keep light. (about 15 kg)

Measurement sag front:

Mounted a cable tie when front wheel was fully off ground.

Static sag is 44 mm which is 21% of 210 mm

Rider sag is 60 mm which is 29% of 210 mm

Conclusions front: Not far off, free sag is a bit high, rider sag OK. There is no preload adjuster for the fork. Will consider buying fork caps which has a preload adjuster.

Adjustments of damping:

I dont like to much damping off road as I ride in a moderat pace and dont do any big jumps. I like it quite plush and comfortable. But I also like to ride quite «active» on the paved mountain roads, then the bike should have a firmer setup. It will be a compromise.

Damper settings to start with:

Front:

Front rebound (adjuster on top): 18 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise. Fully clockwise is the hardest setting and there are 31 clicks anticlockwise from that setting.

Front compression (adjuster under rubber at bottom of fork) 12 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise. There are 20 clicks total (as I counted, manual states 22).

Rear:

Rear rebound, I set it 16 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise which is the hardest settings. I counted 23 clicks total.

Rear compression, I set it 13 clicks anti-clockwise from what should be the hardest setting. I just found 15 clicks total, but manual states it should be 18 clicks. In other words I set it 2 clocks from the softest. Didnt want to use much force trying to find more clicks. It has been reported that the compression settings on this bike doesn’t change the compression damping very much.

Summary of adjustments:
Preload rear 9 clicks clockwise from minimum preload (max is 24, standard setting is 10)

Rebound front 18 clicks anti-clockwise (out from hardest setting) (max is 31, standard setting 17)
Compression front 12 clicks anti-clockwise (out from hardest setting) (max is 22, standard setting 11)

Rebound rear 16 clicks anti-clockwise (out from hardest setting) (max ix 23, standard setting is 13)
Compression rear 2 clicks from fully anti-clockwise (manual states there is max is 18 clicks total with a standard setting of 15 clicks anti clockwise from hardest setting, I found just 15 clicks and adjusted it 13 from the hardest)

Here is a video of my work: 

Tried these settings and it still feels clunky off road. At 170lbs + 10lbs of gear here. Playing with setting again tomorrow. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, Tooph said:

Tried these settings and it still feels clunky off road. At 170lbs + 10lbs of gear here. Playing with setting again tomorrow. 

Just home from a test trip after rear spring upgrade. Mounted a 85Nm spring from Rally Raid Products. Since last time I measured the sag (before the upgrade) I have installed luggage racks. And I was this time 90,7 kg with all my riding gear.

Cranced in 15 clicks of preload from minimum setting. My sag measurements was then as following:

Free sag: 25 mm = 12,5 % (10 % is thumb of rule)

Rider sag: 60 mm = 30 % (spot on thumb rule 30%)

The ride was a lot more plush. The bike feels noticeable different in a very positive way. Ride quality surprisingly much better. I followed RR recommendation to increase compression and rebound damping +2 clicks to match the stiffer spring.

Trollbiker

I have updated my measurements in an later post in this thread as I think the value for preload is wrong here. I

Edited by Trollbiker
Misleading info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Trollbiker said:

Just home from a test trip after rear spring upgrade. Mounted a 85Nm spring from Rally Raid Products. Since last time I measured the sag (before the upgrade) I have installed luggage racks. And I was this time 90,7 kg with all my riding gear.

Cranced in 15 clicks of preload from minimum setting. My sag measurements was then as following:

Free sag: 25 mm = 12,5 % (10 % is thumb of rule)

Rider sag: 60 mm = 30 % (spot on thumb rule 30%)

The ride was a lot more plush. The bike feels noticeable different in a very positive way. Ride quality surprisingly much better. I followed RR recommendation to increase compression and rebound damping +2 clicks to match the stiffer spring.

Trollbiker

Nice results! I just purchased a an 80nm RR spring myself and was debating on the 85nm one. All my additions are pretty light aluminum adventure spec with a giant loop great basin. I'll have to see how it ends up. 

• Like 1

I should have got an 80 or 85; the 90nm I when for is a bit heavy for my weight. 

• Sad 1

I am 100kg with gear ... I got the 90Nm just to be in an acceptable range ... but I guess I could have gone to 95 ... since I still need a lot of preload to get the sag at 30% ... 

running 10 clicks of preload now ... and I need 18 for almost 30% ... but I take the 30% only as a recommendation, the behavior and how you like riding changes the goals of your SAG ... I know that the rear is now super comfortable for me.

... next step is the front ... but I will only add 10mm spacers to begin, and figure out is that is enough.

• Like 1

The original rear spring is useless. To get to 20mm sag you have to wind the preload right the way in. The uni trak style rear suspension is a progressive linkage ( not spring) given that and the maxxed out pre load the suspension is never going to work and virtually nothing left. , hence its a hard ride,

im 85 kgs so ordered the 85nm spring from Rally raid. To get 20 mm sag is now 5 clicks pre load and loads left for luggage.

because i have a full spring  it actually works and has converted the ride.

no more wallowing and bottoming out.

very pleased. Thanks KTM Mitch.

will be doing the front next with their new open cartridge system due soon.

the yam front only runs 20mm piston which really is very small for a high movement unit so only has limited uses, 30 or 35 mm is what the Rally raid system comes with

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

How did you guys manage to change the spring from RR ? I see they are willing to do it for you but did anyone change it themselves ?? 

• Moderators

@cabbyIf you scroll down about halfway down the page, there's a slick setup using a floor jack and ratchet strap to compress the spring. I'm going to try that method as soon as I receive my new spring.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Anybody else chime in on their settings? Please post your weight as well for reference. Would love to hear others stock settings. I'll be getting a heavier 90 rear spring for my 89KG \ 190 lbs kitted man-ness once available but for now it's just stock and wollowy is an understatement in the dirt. I've cranked the pre-load to about the max (it was almost at the least amount new) which helped quite a bit. Now looking at rebound and compression. Love reading what's working for you all. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

OK Everyone, here is an updated post of my settings and measurements. Have measured very carefully 3 times to be sure values is correct. 

Conditions:
Rally Edition with Acrapovic exhaust (-2.3 kg) and the extra rigid skid plate/engine protector (+ 3 to 4 kg)
Yamaha Racks (+ 5to 6 kg)
Lithium Ion battery (-2.3 kg)

Full tank and all other necessary liquids

The weight of the bike should then be about same as a "wet" standard T7 (204 kg) + 4.5 kg = 208.5 kg

Rider with all gear: 89 kg

Rally Raid 85Nm rear spring with 5 clicks of preload from the softest setting. 
All damper adjustments set to standard setting as pr. manual

Result rear:

Static sag: 13,5%
Rider sag: 27,5%

This means that I could probably reduce preload even more to get 30% rider sag. But then the static sag also would increase.  Thumb of rule is 10% static sag and 30% rider sag.

The hydraulic preload adjuster has 24 clicks and a 10 mm adjustment total on the spring. It may compensate for about 2.5 kg per click. If I load my bike with 20 kg luggage I will need to apply 8 more clicks. 

Result front:
Did not measure this time as there is no preload adjuster. I also expect values to be about equal to my last measurements which was 21% static sag and 29% rider sag.

Edited by Trollbiker

I'm not planning to spend any money on suspension upgrades, as my point of view is that Tenere is a cheap bike, it's not designed for racing (not even close to "ready to race" as more expensive KTM) and primary it is made for road use with some light offroading, so i'm trying not to spend any money on suspension, as it will never make it as good as 790R 😛...

So - as my weight is 87kg without gear it is quite rubbish offroad when you push it. Particularly rear.

My setups:

Front:

- Just increase compression damping to support springs - standard setting is 11 clicks, i have set up 8 (for fast offroad even 5 clicks, but it is too harsh on the road, so i balanced this out)

Haven't touched rebound, as it is quite good, and to be honest i don't want to slow it down as suspension travel is poor anyway, so needed it back to beginning as fast as i can without causing it to bounce off.

Rear:

- Preload adjuster turn to harder - standard is 10 clicks, i have adjusted to 18 (on standard set up even on tarmack at speeds and hitting uneven surface suspension gets wallowy and bike just waving it's arse off)

- Compression damping - standard is 15 clicks - i have adjusted to 9.

All this makes bike slightly harder to ride, makes possible to lift the wheel up to cross some deeper holes without causing rear shock to bottom out. Jumps are still impossible without bottoming out.

I will have to adjust my riding technique and try to avoid jumping, take it slower on very bumpy sections, but with this set up it is very good on slower, more technical sections.

It is also safer on the tarmac... OK - it's not as comfy as standad setings, but bike does not behave like a small fishing vessel on ruff sea 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good stuff there Bartek, for people who want to stay stock, or rider weight is in the stock range.

I have gone down the route of a fork and shock revalve.  It wasn't as expensive as I feared.  The stock suspension was ok but I needed a 90nm spring on the rear.  The reworked forks and shock are brilliant now and all for less than 300 British Pounds.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, electon said:

Good stuff there Bartek, for people who want to stay stock, or rider weight is in the stock range.

I have gone down the route of a fork and shock revalve.  It wasn't as expensive as I feared.  The stock suspension was ok but I needed a 90nm spring on the rear.  The reworked forks and shock are brilliant now and all for less than 300 British Pounds.

Interesting. May I ask where you got the fork and shock revalve done, and what kit did they use? I've also got a 90nm spring (86kg naked) and that is a massive improvement on its own.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello

1,600 km on the odo. Just starting to enjoy the T7

After 3 off-road day-trips, ( 2 times 100 km + 1 of 180 km /  low speed trail ( 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, lots of bumps and rocks )  + rocky and bumpy dirt roads ), this is what I am finding

Rider: 75 kg + gear + 5 kg bag

Front: OEM with standard setting - Comp -11, Reb -17

Rear: OEM shock with 80 NM spring progressive ( stock spring is 70 NM ) - Preload + 5, Comp-16, Reb -8

After testing, my last setup was: 

Front: Comp - 6, Reb -12

Rear : Preload +5, Comp -12, Reb -4

With this setup the suspension worked very well up to 50 km/hour on the low speed trail and up to 80 km/hour on the dirt roads. It was "copying" the trail very well.

Mi impression is that to go faster on bumpy off-road trails I will need to close a few more clicks of rebound shock. There are  only 4 left, so you could run out of clicks pretty fast.

Regarding the fork, there is still plenty of clicks left to close, so I think it will be ok.

I will keep testing

Hope is useful

Good rides to everybody

• Like 2