Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Service my Tenere or take it to the Dealer

Southcoastbiker

I’d like to service my bike myself but I’m worried if I do I may lose warranty on the bike.

If I do do it myself or a mechanic down the road rather than the local Yamaha dealer who overcharges should I use a genuine Yamaha oil filter or or a Hilflo filter from eBay for $13. I’m inclined to use the Yamaha filter as if I have a serious engine problem Yamaha  might reject a warranty claim. What’s people’s thoughts on which way to go

do it yourself or local shop but use yamalube oil and filter and keep receipts.  am looking to do an oil change ,have done 3000 mls, but am struggling to get yamalube oil. normaly i would use any quality oil but am considering the warranty issues. my last bikes engine (swm superdual) expired at 5000mls.fortunatly dealer serviced so i got a new engine.

Risk and reward? Save a few bucks and risk warranty or a get caught up in fight should  something goes wrong.  Your call. Personally I suck it up  till warranty expires, then  do it myself. 

• Like 2

In Australia it should be done by a qualified mechanic, and you can use any parts or oil you like as long as they are deemed "fit for purpose". The oil must meet or exceed the manufacturers requirements. I always service my own gear that's under warranty as i'm a qualified mechanic, If I wasn't I wouldn't service it till the warranty was up. I also use genuine oil filters while under warranty in case the dealer tries to blame any engine issues on an inferior oil filter. If the engine does fail and it comes down to an inferior non genuine filter, you have to try to get a repair claim through the filter manufacturer and this can be a major pain. There are a lot of better oils out there than Yamalube, I use Penrite Full Synthetic PAO Ester oil .

bth2, I hope your bike isn't still on original oil at 3,000 miles?

• Like 2

On my Super T, here in the US, I've done all service myself at home. Use whatever oil and filters. I've also had two warranty claims and was never questioned about service history. Maybe they don't ask here or maybe it wasn't that big of a warranty claim for them to look for some reason to deny it. Just my experience. 

I believe that modern motorcycles have now solved the mechanical problems of the past. Now the most relevant problem may depend on electronics. So it is better to let the coupons be certified by mechanics from the Yamaha network. Changing the oil with any product that meets the manufacturer's requirements does not compromise the engine

3 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

In Australia it should be done by a qualified mechanic, and you can use any parts or oil you like as long as they are deemed "fit for purpose". The oil must meet or exceed the manufacturers requirements. I always service my own gear that's under warranty as i'm a qualified mechanic, If I wasn't I wouldn't service it till the warranty was up. I also use genuine oil filters while under warranty in case the dealer tries to blame any engine issues on an inferior oil filter. If the engine does fail and it comes down to an inferior non genuine filter, you have to try to get a repair claim through the filter manufacturer and this can be a major pain. There are a lot of better oils out there than Yamalube, I use Penrite Full Synthetic PAO Ester oil .

bth2, I hope your bike isn't still on original oil at 3,000 miles?

no,its had its first service....just want to change the oil

• Premium Member

Do worry. Let the Dealer do at least the first service. Dealer can also do engine management software diagnosis plug in there for health checks and any underlying codes. Then do own service with Yamaha filters and the best of oil. Saving few pounds is only a very small percentage of the price of the new bike. I really don't get the approx £9000 bike and £50 cheap helmets and cheap stuff thing. 

If you have the cash, let the dealer do it. If you are nervous about your ability to do it yourself, let the dealer do it. Also, there is some wisdom in letting the dealer do the first service. Just to have it on the books that you had that first oil change done on time.

Ok, now I'm getting on my soapbox. I also own the MT07 forum. Same exact engine/tranny. Most people there  change their own oil and filter. Many of them also check and adjust their own valves. We have almost 10,000 members and I have only heard of one engine failure and that was due to a dealer who forgot to put oil back in the engine after a service. (USA dealers often hire 19 year olds to do this work and push them too hard).

We have a tech tips section on this forum. Tech tip sections are the key ingredient to any motorcycle forum that I own. We also have a tech questions section, where members can ask ea other how to do things to their bikes. I'll look and see if anyone has taken the time to do a tech tip for oil changes yet.

I used to use shell rotella oil for all of my bikes , it's cheap and used to be damn good. But they changed their formula couple years ago and I switched back to Yamalube.  

Again, the CP 2 engine is very reliable. I know this first hand from the MT07 forum that I have read every day since I built it in 2014. If you service it regularly , it will last 100,000 miles. Warranty work is very rare. 

Dive into our tech tip section and start reading. And when you work on your bike, take a few pics or video and come back and leave your own tech tip for others to read/watch and help them do their own maintenance too. 

That's what this forum is all about.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone’s help the bike only has 80km on it.
Will get the dealer to do the first service then I will do it after that or a mechanic. 

• Like 1