Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

12 VOLT PLUG 2 AMP FUSE REPLASEMENT

Ioannis

Question

Hello. Has anybody changed the 2 Amp fuse of the 12 Volt plug with a bigger one? I was burn instantly when tried to plug in and use the electric pump.

I know that fuse protects the cables but in this case I think Yamaha wants to protect the generator from extra consumptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 answers to this question

That wiring wont take a pump, you need to wire in direct to the battery with a 15amp fuse min depending on your pump current draw

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Asked before below.... 

Answer is NO - wires most likely far too thin / not designed to cope > 2A.

It is Nothing to do with generator power, the other-side-panel has a 10 amp aux plug for use with optional heated grips.

I fitted a 10amp 12v socket on the other-side and wired it straight to battery, see photo.
12v x 10 amp (120 watt) will run air pumps, see great air pump I use below.

3E564C12-FA2A-4215-8719-6F68F3C790A1.jpeg

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, X Plane said:

Asked before below.... 

Answer is NO - wires most likely far too thin / not designed to cope > 2A.

It is Nothing to do with generator power, the other-side-panel has a 10 amp aux plug for use with optional heated grips.

I fitted a 10amp 12v socket on the other-side and wired it straight to battery, see photo.
12v x 10 amp (120 watt) will run air pumps, see great air pump I use below.

3E564C12-FA2A-4215-8719-6F68F3C790A1.jpeg

That's a great pump, I own it. I use in for my car too!

Thanks for the detail.

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/9/2020 at 12:12 PM, Gezgin Endurocu said:

I use 5a no problem 

With using what equipment ?

Phones and cameras etc are ok.

Though long runs of good air compressors, capable of full inflate from flat, will blow a 5 amp.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gezgin Endurocu said:

I use 5a no problem 

Some pumps will draw close to 15 amps at 40psi

• Like 1

You cant use your pumps with this...ı made direct line from battery for my pump...if you dont think your guarantee you can use other powerful line on the bike....

1 hour ago, X Plane said:

With using what equipment ?

Phones and cameras etc are ok.

Though long runs of good air compressors, capable of full inflate from flat, will blow a 5 amp.

Just phone,gps charge 👍

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:58 AM, Ioannis said:

Hello. Has anybody changed the 2 Amp fuse of the 12 Volt plug with a bigger one? I was burn instantly when tried to plug in and use the electric pump.

I know that fuse protects the cables but in this case I think Yamaha wants to protect the generator from extra consumptions.

Hey!

I just happend to me a few minutes ago, exact same thing, testing my new Slime electric pump and the fuse blow up. Replaced by a  5 amp fuse and it works ok now. 

Doing some reaserch here in the forum find out that is not a good idea tu use an electric pump on the T7 12VDC socket, this because the wire gauge in general is not a lot, so even if we use a higher capacity fuse there is a risk of melting the wires. Instead I will get this cheapo adapter wich include a 15 Amp fuse to connect the pump directley to my battery when I have too.

Links:

Edited by Dakuwaqa8
changed my mind lol
  • Like 4

IMHO you're really best off with a direct wired SAE plug (as @Dakuwaqa8 linked above) for anything that you want to pull more current and only have connected sometimes.  They're very useful to have for a wide range of accessories, as well as connecting a battery maintainer over the winter and such too.   As at least in my experience most bikes have one of these connectors because dealers tend to set one up as basic equipment it also opens the possibility of using a link wire to be able to jump one bike off another just by connecting them together.  Note that for this case, you need one specifically designed for - the bike side harness always has the ground exposed, so a simple extension will cause a short with the two batteries in series, not a good idea.  You want one where the link cable has male positive/female negative connectors on both ends.  

• Premium Member
On 6/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, Limey said:

Some pumps will draw close to 15 amps at 40psi

CyclePump Ltd states that 10amp is ok for their pump and I can confirm from use that 10A fuse works. 12v times 10A = 120 watts and that has worked fine.

I ordered a cigarette lighter socket and a set of three connectors with bare wires from Aliexpress, thanks for the link! You do have to be careful to select the items with correct polarity plugs. It might matter! I'll be running stuff like a pump from the Battery Tender charge plug on the bike. It connects directly to the battery (duh) and has a 7.5A fuse which is hopefully enough and if not a 10A fuse would not be a big jump.

Thanks all! Will replacing the 2amp fuse with a 5 amp one risk me causing any harm to the bike itself?

Edited by Chev.

Or with a 3 amp fuse? Will it for a particular reason have to be a 2 amp fuse for the left hand side aux power outlet (due to a very thin cabling, for example)?

Yes, I have understood the workarounds, so this question relates to that particular fuse only. 

Thanks again! 😃

Edited by Chev.

I don't know why there's a 2 fuse but i think only because of the originally intended accessory.
Cables in other places with the same thickness also have 5 or even 10A fuses and fuses are there to protect the part that needs the power and the wiring.
Knowing that the cables in other places can handle a 10A fuse i would say it's perfectly fine to use a 5A fuse if you don't have another accessory on the same cable that needs a lower amperage.
But you can add a lighter fuse to the cable in a different place to cover that, the cable still stays secured with 5A or whatever you decide to use but i wouldn't go higher than 10A.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:52 AM, Chev. said:

Thanks all! Will replacing the 2amp fuse with a 5 amp one risk me causing any harm to the bike itself?

Never a good idea to uprate a fuse. The designer has put it there for a reason, after calculating current usage etc. Same for houses and factories. Work out expected current, apply factors, choose protection then select the cable that can handle it. Too much current will turn your loom into a heater element and possibly destroy your bike in a fireball. 
even as a spark, I was testing a relay, but I was crammed in upside down in a Landrover, and shorted the wrong connectors as I couldn’t see properly. Cable disappeared faster than my mates wallet at the bar😁🍺

21 minutes ago, Chev. said:

Thanks @Dougie 👍 No, I will not change any fuses for higher amp ones! 

Hope and believe all ends well under your ‘experiment’ 👍

I’ll be following you lot and adding an adapter for battery powered tools etc. Good ideas to steal on here. 👍