Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any Private Pilots on here?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

As per title, 
Any pilots on the forum? 

If so, what do you fly? 
Do you own your bird?  or do you prefer renting?  or get your flying fix another way? 

And what's your story?  How did you get into flying? 

Tazmool

I used to fly a Skyfox Gazelle, but that was a long time ago.

I prefer to stay on the ground, cost mainly!

And you?

• Premium Member

I've had my license for nearly 2 decades, but had a long (10+ year) break, which I ended last year by getting everything rolling again. 
I've only ever rented, and last year I started everything back up by getting into a rental Diamond Katana (always wanted to fly one of those, but was literally ...... umm... too fat! too heavy.... fixed that too) 

For the past year, I have been working on a secret project to make my return to the sky a far more affordable and permanent one.  Its still in progress, and this pandemic is really not helping (pretty much stalled everything) but maybe in a month or so, will get back on track.  Right now, local airports are literally jammed full parking lots for aircraft.

Tazmool

• Like 1

1965 piper Cherokee 180. has 1700 actual hours on the air frame.  It's a family owned plane but for the past few years I've flown it more than anyone. My flight instructor was an f15 fighter pilot who really got me the bug of flying. My wife and I are working towards getting to the U.S. Air Force and working towards a pilot slot. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Moderators

4500 hr. Helo pilot. Started ( of course) as a private pilot, moved on to Commercial,  then Certified Flight Instructor.  Taught fledgling pilots for about 800 hrs. and along the way acquired about 100 hrs. of fixed wing time. It all started at 18 years old hang gliding in Standard Rogollos, then went on to teaching and advanced ( for the time) hang gliders.  Then built and flew an powered ultralight, Mitchell Wing, then moved on to Piper Cubs, Cessna 150/152 then helicopters.  Flew tours over the Grand Canyon for 4 years, did some TV/Movie work, chased Big horn sheep, javelina, deer, etc for Fish & Game.  Did a little sling load work,  worked a Super Bowl in 96, then moved on to Medivac (EMS). Flew & managed pilots for the better part of 15 years, then hung up my headphones for good about 5 years ago. Great career, a little too exciting a few times, but like I always said, flying beats working for a living. 😉

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, I'm not a private pilot. However, my very good buddie is whom I've been up in his airplane so many times... I love it! It's a 1947(? I think) Taylorcraft tail dragger.  Definitely not meant for large people.  I love going on fly-ins in the winter with him. Sometimes we'll just go out looking for some motorcycle ice races to check out!