Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Carbon exhaust heat

MDB1

Question

As I am looking into carbon and titanium slip-on's I was questioning a few things:

1. As far as I can remember carbon (in the form of carbon fiber reinforced polymer) it isn't a good conductor of heat. Does a carbon slip-on go well with the heat of the exhaust?
  2. If instead I would put on a titanium exhaust would I still need a heat deflector when riding with a reckless setup?
  3. What are the downsides of a titanium exhaust vs carbon?

2 answers to this question

• Premium Member

I've had carbon and titanium exhausts in the past.
I am not a fan of carbon, the pipe I had (once it got old and some of the packing at the start of the muffler blew out) started to melt the resin in the carbon weave, and it did not look great.  This was on a TL1000S, which had some very strong power pulses and had a tenency to blow out packing.  

A titanium exhaust will be just as light and does not suffer heat damage.  It may turn someneat blue, red, purple colors, but it should last the life of the bike.   Yamaha also uses titanium exhausts on their R series bikes, great, light weight materials, long lasting, the way I would go too.

A friend of mine, did have a carbon pipe last a long time, but it was a dry carbon weave, mine was the more shiny weave.  His pipe was fine, while mine melted (Mine was a D&D cf pipe) 

Hope this helps

Tazmool

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply! Makes the choice between titanium and carbon easier.