Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS

Sandijs

• Premium Member

Is there someone who has managed to find a solution to be able to disable ABS, but only on the rear wheel?

In my opinion it’s not the best decision to let switch ABS on both wheels.. I want my ABS on the front, but not the rear. I'm ready to switch off ABS on the rear permanently if it is possible.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

You could probably just pull the fuse out in the fuse box under your seat maybe? But that would disable front and rear still.

Edited by DazR

• 1 year later...

When i press the button it switches off both front and rear ABS, its a 2021

I wish I could turn off ONLY  the rear too, with a switch.  I would think some manufacturer could make a killing if they sold a plug n play kit.  

That’s not really very helpful. I am finding that tires that work well on the street could really use ABS up front in the dirt. Good knobbies yes, agreed, but compromise rubber up front, no. 

1 hour ago, Husafreak said:

That’s not really very helpful. I am finding that tires that work well on the street could really use ABS up front in the dirt. Good knobbies yes, agreed, but compromise rubber up front, no. 

Agree "learn ride properly off-road so you forget about ABS all together" is not helpful to you. Know that on the latest Euro-5 BMW GS you cannot disable ABS completely. The  T7 still has ABS either all on or all off - so it requires the rider to adapt. 

I will say, if you are riding off road, I prefer a more aggressive tyre on the front. 50/50 a good choice is the Anakee Wild, though you will burn through two rears for one front. Mitas E-10 front and E-07+ combination works well too - a set will take you 10,000km or more .

Accept what you have and adapt. It's the rider that limits, not the bike or the tyres or the tech. ADV courses are fun and good experience. 

Cool, kind of got off topic. I’ve never had a bike without knobbies before, riding the Tenere on twisty roads has been a total blast, so I’m not anxious to lose this new capability, but learning how to ride this beast on my favorite dirt trails will take some practice and probably be more fun with proper tires like you mentioned. Of course I turn off the ABS off pavement, in theory I’m glad that I can because that’s what I’m used to, it’s a reason I wanted this bike. I don’t really know if having ABS off in the rear and on in front would be better. It’s not the braking that bothers me but vague steering in soft terrain or rocks. Gotta ride more and learn about ADV. 

So back on topic, the OP was asking if anyone had figured out how to only turn of ABS in the rear, I don’t know…

Maybe a giid thing to know that the T7 will allow a blocking rear when going off a hill (tested).

So if you forget the ABS the biggest problem is not there.

On flat surfaces it can be annoying because you can't block it into a corner.

Easy. Get on/ off switch and mount it to your handlebars. Wire it down to your rear speed sensor connector (right side battery cover). Cut one of its 2 wires - and bridge them with the button wiring. Now when you switch the button on you make a planned sensor malfunction wich leads to an ABS light to come on and the system to shut down. Once your done offroad push the button to off position - now your sensor wiring is "complete" again but the ABS light is still on. Turn off your ignition and switch it back on - ABS light will shut off after a few meters of riding (like in a standard start-up) and system is operating as it should.
Do not ride it shut off through the button on the road - after a few minutes of road medium to high speed ride youl get check engine light and that can only be shut done with a scanner (that you can get on ebay for 45$).
You can also get the proper connectors to connect the button wiring to the rear ABS sensor connectors if you dont want to cut one of the wires. 
Theres a thread here that has full details (the exact connectors model you need to connect to the original ones and so forth). 

Edited by Interceptor

ABS in the front in the way the Tenere is programmed would be very dangerous offroad in my opinion.  The front just rolls and rolls with basically NO stopping energy with any kind of slipping.  I've almost had it kill me a couple times when I forget to turn it off then feather the front brake on a gravel road, it just NOPES out and lets the wheel roll applying basically zero force.  

If there was some off-road ABS mode with a completely different braking force application profile, that would be one thing.  Disabling the rear only and leaving the on-road ABS force profile on the front wheel would be suicide.