Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Recovering the Tenere 700 from a drop.

Allen Kelly

I don’t know whether it is just me and my age but I find that the Tenere is a bloody difficult bike to recover when you inadvertently drop it. I find it lays so close to the ground and because of its height it is difficult to get your bum under the seat for frog legging it up. With 2 people it is not a problem but me on my own it is and as I do like riding at times alone in the bush it becomes a bigger problem.

I am trying to work out if there is a way I can attach a strap to a couple of points on the bike and with it over my shoulders then crouch down and use my legs to lift it. I found this video on YouTube which demonstrates the problem really well unfortunately for us older blokes their alternate methods of lifting are still a struggle. I’ll work on it for a while and see what I can come up with. Hope you are all well.  

Edited by Allen Kelly
correction

Although in my 60's I haven't struggled so bad with the T7, yet. Some thinking on the subject though might help.

1. Reduce the weight of the bike. Mine is under 200kgs with some protection but no guards. It helps.

2. If you had a small strap that also had a crank handle, you could turn the suspension nob down to minimum preload, crank the rear suspension down a few inches before trying to lift.

3. Choose a rear rack or hand rails that extend out the side a bit further. This would provide more leverage.

4. Look for some lower engine guards that stick out further to stop the bike from laying so flat and provide a pivot point.

Perhaps a more interesting idea is a strong lightweight extendable lever that locks into the footpeg and a fixture on the frame above the peg. When the bike is layed on it's side this would stick out much further than the bike itself and give you leverage to pick the bike up. I might look at this to see what could be done. Would need to be strong enough to lift the bike obviously. Maybe a carbon rod.

Edited by TimeMachine

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Maybe a carbon rod.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

I found this, for all the old farts with dicky backs and /or knees like me. 

jack-label.jpg?1512322681

motorcycle jack, how to lift a fallen motorcycle, how to lift a dropped bike, Motorcycle hoist, dropped motorcycle, fallen...

• Thanks 1

Looks like a great way to pick up the bike. Get the widest hard panniers you can fit.😁🤣

On 5/12/2020 at 3:33 PM, Louis said:

I found this, for all the old farts with dicky backs and /or knees like me. 

jack-label.jpg?1512322681

motorcycle jack, how to lift a fallen motorcycle, how to lift a dropped bike, Motorcycle hoist, dropped motorcycle, fallen...

Man that is fantastic. I have not seen these before. Just what the doctor ordered to save further injuries to my shoulders you would only need it on a solo ride but what a body pain saver. Thanks for the post I appreciate it. Cheers.

• Premium Member
On 5/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, Uncle M said:

These methods should work:

Yes these wokrs, I've tested all of them, but for the T7 for me only 1 works from these 3, the crawl on the knees. If you watch my video you'll see that you have to get very low if traveling without luggage. Basically the problem is that the T7 is slim and lies on ground very flat and I'm small guy 🙂

• Like 1

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram