Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Why is ECU flashing better than using "Piggyback" Fuel Controller?

2 Wheel DynoWorks

@2 Wheel DynoWorks

I will have to wait, I have the Y.E.S. extended warranty and Yamaha says that flashing the ECU will void the warranty.

Is this correct our was the Rep. mistaken?

• Supporting Vendor
16 hours ago, UtahJack said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks

I will have to wait, I have the Y.E.S. extended warranty and Yamaha says that flashing the ECU will void the warranty.

Is this correct our was the Rep. mistaken?

They're very mistaken, and they know it.

The dealerships and manufacturers would love it if you believed this misinformation, but here in the US we have had some legislation on the books since the 70s called the Magnuson Moss Act that protects consumers from manufacturers voiding entire warranties for single modifications. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to show that the specific modification performed by the end user, or any aftermarket company, DIRECTLY caused a specific component failure that would otherwise be normally covered under a manufacturer's warranty.

-2WDW

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

Thousands of MT07 (same engine) owners on my MT07 forum have had 2wheeldynoworks flash their ECU's. All with stellar reviews and no reports of warranty issues in the six years I've owned that forum. 

Plus, this engine is tough. No reports of engine failures except for one MT07 owner who ran his bike with no oil.  No warranty would cover that. 

What you do get with 2wdw is cooler engine temps, better performance, smoother throttle and fueling and nobody knows this engine tuning better than them. Literally thousands of hours of tuning this engine and developing custom maps for the CP2 engine. These guys are the best. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any data on what sort of ignition advance are we talking about with the t700 and premium fuel (98 or 100 octane)? 3, 4 degrees?

On 8/18/2020 at 4:21 PM, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

The PV3 does not work as advertised, which is why we do not utilize their software on anything other than Harley Davidson and Indian models. The best software on the market for tuning these bikes is FTECU, followed closely by Woolich Racing.

How does it not work as advertised?

Also, shipping aside, how long does your ECU flash take?

Do the ECU's come back with the check engine light on, and if so, how do you recommend removing any faults?

• Supporting Vendor
36 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

Does anyone have any data on what sort of ignition advance are we talking about with the t700 and premium fuel (98 or 100 octane)? 3, 4 degrees?

That sort of info is a trade secret and not available to the public. In some areas we are actually retarding the ignition far more than that, and in some areas we are advancing it. The stock ignition mapping is awful from the factory, for emissions purposes. 

2wheellogo.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
23 minutes ago, Dakota said:

How does it not work as advertised?

Also, shipping aside, how long does your ECU flash take?

Do the ECU's come back with the check engine light on, and if so, how do you recommend removing any faults?

Many of the enable/disable functions simply don't work as advertised in the software. I'm not sure how I much more clearly we can answer the question without addressing specific functions. 

We flash and return ship all ECUs the same day that we receive them! All T700 ECUs will have a check engine light on after being powered up outside the bike for flashing, just like the MT-09's and XSR900's. They will eventually clear themselves, or any local shop or dealer can clear the codes for you in about 30 seconds through the diagnostic connector under the seat. You can also buy your own OBD2 adapter that will work with just about any OBD2 scan tool/code reader to clear the codes in the same amount of time. The latter is what we recommend for all owners, simply so you can address any future faults that may pop up as the bikes age and/or component failures occur. 

• Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

Thanks for the reply! You've definitely given me a lot to consider. I've got a PV3 in transit, but i'll make sure not to open it while I go over my options. I'd never heard of ECU flashing until your post so thanks for taking the time. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 11:39 PM, Ol'crazy said:

2 - For an european user like me, interested in the reflashing, what would be the procedure in terms of money and time?

Thanks,

Javier

Is this a possibility? 

Thanks and cheers for all the info. (super interesting and interested in getting a tune)

• Supporting Vendor
10 minutes ago, HugoB said:

Is this a possibility? 

Thanks and cheers for all the info. (super interesting and interested in getting a tune)

Absolutely! We have flashed dozens of T700s for international customers and hundreds of US/CAN riders.

Simply purchase the ECU flash on our website, select the international return shipping option during checkout, and follow the instructions! Insured return shipping to most countries across the pond is $75 via USPS Priority Express International Mail.

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

8 hours ago, HugoB said:

Is this a possibility? 

They have been tuning this engine since 2014 for the members of my MT07 forum, thousands actually with stellar results and reviews on that forum. the smoother fueling is the top perk from their customers, the extra HP TQ is like an extra benefit and when you aren't twisting the throttle too hard, you actually gain MPG as well with their tune. Again, when you cruising at loweer rpms ther tune proves to return better MPG than stock at slower speeds.  

They know this engine better than anyone else in the world by sheer experience with the bike under every condition. 

Totally worth every penny. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Another neat perk of going with 2wdw is their lifetime flash update.  
I had my ecu flashed early last year, and its going back to them soon for an update (updated maps ect, figured the bike is down for the winter, I'm doing other mods and maintenance, might as well give it an firmware update) all it will cost me is the shipping to and fro.   

I have a post in the how to section on removing and installing the ecu, including how to clear the check engine light and what you will need to get the job done. 

Tazmool

• Like 1

Hey @2 Wheel DynoWorks I currently have a RB Evo piggyback unit that has honestly been underwhelming. I'm curious in your experience how your flash compares in terms of direct rider feedback. 

Further, is there any advantages to stacking both the controller and the flash? I have a full Dominator header and can set-up.

Thanks,

CR

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, close range said:

Hey @2 Wheel DynoWorks I currently have a RB Evo piggyback unit that has honestly been underwhelming. I'm curious in your experience how your flash compares in terms of direct rider feedback. 

Further, is there any advantages to stacking both the controller and the flash? I have a full Dominator header and can set-up.

Thanks,

CR

There's no comparison. The Rapid Bike is also only as good as whoever built the fuel and ignition mapping, which likely won't ever come close to what we have found works best on these engines after hundreds of hours of dyno testing on these specific engines. We can say that pretty confidently, because parts of the mapping aren't even CLOSE to stock, which is where all tuners will start when modifying mapping through any controller OR the stock ECU. 

There's also some big limitations in the stock ECU that can't be addressed by any fuel controller, such as the injector cut on deceleration and the cooling fan parameters. We cover all of those differences in depth through two different articles on our website here: https://2wheeldynoworks.com/blogs/news

-2WDW

• Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

Another lil secret about 2WDW is that when you buy a tune, if you get their exhaust thru them too it will usually be custom mapped for that exact exhaust, and you'll get the best price on that exhaust of anywhere else. Seriously, you guys email em when ready and you'll like the price of the combo kit. Your launches will be perfect every time and your bike will thank you. 'These latest stock emissions tunes are horrible, reducing bike life in fact. Any engine gets chocked of fuel or Air and it robs power and longevity as well as MPG. 

Wait, they make a Tenere exhaust??

Link it up 🙂 

Edit: I see that they sell exhaust, but don't see any for the Tenere.. 

Edited by Dakota
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have had the ECU flashed , I live up in Canada and I do admit I was worried about shipping out my ECU to the states, but they deliver on what they say they received it and flashed it and it was back in the mail immediately and the felt difference is incredible and as far as fuel ratios and heat go, I installed a Leo Vince full exhaust and have yet to see any pipe discolouration at the heads, it runs cool, it runs better, it is worth every penny thx 2WD

and have you ever had to dial in a power commander on a bike? I had one on my FZ1. I had the laptop out sitting on the back seat plugged in had my hand on the throttle trying to set min and max rpm had the wife ready to hit the enter button when I did reach the peaks haha its a crazy experience, albeit doable for sure but there's so much more then you have to either get good maps or tweak your own, its quite a commitment, I unplugged this sat on my tush waiting for it to come back and plugged it in, the only thing I had to do was clear the codes and go riding and it was cheaper!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

is there anything else you have to do to the bike after plugging the flashed ECU back in? besides clearing the codes? 

Any sensors need to be unplugged or any other mods?

thanks

Just now, jdk2man said:

is there anything else you have to do to the bike after plugging the flashed ECU back in? besides clearing the codes? 

Any sensors need to be unplugged or any other mods?

thanks

Nope, just ride. You don't even have to clear the codes as they'll eventually clear on their own. Only downfall of that route is, if you do get a legit CEL, you won't know it's on. Also, I don't know how long it takes to self clear, so your best bet is to just clear with an OBDII reader (if you have one).

I see you're in Colorado Springs. I'm from Palmer Lake and am insanely jealous you get to ride all my childhood roads. Tell me your favorite places to go!

On 8/18/2020 at 4:21 PM, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

The PV3 does not work as advertised, which is why we do not utilize their software on anything other than Harley Davidson and Indian models. The best software on the market for tuning these bikes is FTECU, followed closely by Woolich Racing.

Can you please elaborate on this? How does the PV3 not work?

• Like 1

I pulled mine off and sent it in via FEDEX on Friday the 7th. It was delivered on the 11th to them. They flashed it and sent it back out and I got it last Saturday the 15th. Popped it back in and read/cleared the codes and took the bike out for a shake down. 

I wasn't looking for more power or even better throttle response, these bikes stock run pretty good IMO as far as modern stock EFI goes (nice way of saying EPA rules and guidance suck), I wanted to get rid of that damn injector cutoff at throttle chop. That sucks when you are slow speed riding in rocks and such where you are riding at or near idle alot. That and the cooler temps for the fan to come on. Happy with the mapping, bike runs clean and strong off idle and up. 

Worst part of the job is putting all the body work back on!

Piggy back tuners will never be able to match what a good ECU mapping/modding can do. All a PV3 (or similar) can do is modify the signals/duration coming out of the ECU to the injectors, and that leaves alot on the table when you don't mod the timing, cooling and other functions to take full advantage of the updated mapping. It's more than just fuel-

Edited by Firebolter

• 2 years later...

So I just got my ECU back in the bike after having it flashed at 2WDW, and all I can say is WOW!  What a difference.  Much smoother throttle response, the bike seems much more responsive and more torquey!  My only complaint is that it’s very inconvenient that it’s almost winter.  Ho-hum…I guess next season is going to be a even better!

• Like 2