Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How in the heck did Sears blow Craftsman tools?

Cruizin

In fact, Sears should be what Amazon is right now. All of our homes in the USA had Sears and Roebuck catalogs. If you didn't live in the city, you ordered from Sears and waited for it to arrive. 

They had Craftsman Tools. Craftsman used to be the most awesome hand tools for the money. Good quality, and if one broke (rare) you would take it into the counter and you got a new one no questions asked. 

Then, early 90's, they started asking questions. 

Then, late 90's, you had to fill out a form. 

Then, they just stopped replacing broken tools. And that was about the same time that Sears went to hell in a hand basket. 

Now, Craftsman tools is complete crap. Sold at Lowes. Plastic gears in their sockets. Wrenches that break easily. And Sears, do they even have any stores left at all? 

Mismanaged into the ground by Corporate America.  Maybe my old set of Craftsman tools is gonna be worth money someday? 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I did strip out an older made in USA ratchet and when I took it in they gave me a rebuild kit no questions asked. 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, Cruizin said:

In fact, Sears should be what Amazon is right now. All of our homes in the USA had Sears and Roebuck catalogs. If you didn't live in the city, you ordered from Sears and waited for it to arrive. 

They had Craftsman Tools. Craftsman used to be the most awesome hand tools for the money. Good quality, and if one broke (rare) you would take it into the counter and you got a new one no questions asked. 

Then, early 90's, they started asking questions. 

Then, late 90's, you had to fill out a form. 

Then, they just stopped replacing broken tools. And that was about the same time that Sears went to hell in a hand basket. 

Now, Craftsman tools is complete crap. Sold at Lowes. Plastic gears in their sockets. Wrenches that break easily. And Sears, do they even have any stores left at all? 

Mismanaged into the ground by Corporate America.  Maybe my old set of Craftsman tools is gonna be worth money someday? 

I just saw a huge display of Craftsman tools at Lowe's.

• 4 months later...

Fun fact but sears sold the craftsman line to Stanley Black and Decker back in 2019 for arround 900 million that's why you started to see them cropping up in Lowe's and other big chain stores. Be it SB&D owns alot of tool brands including Dewalt, Mac Tools, and Lennox, all with varying degrees of quality. 

I agree it sucks that now to warranty a tool is alot larger harder than when I used to just walk in to sears and swap it out. I have mostly Matco, Snap-Off, and Mac stuff in my box but since I'm no longer at a dealership it involves a phone call if I have to get a repair/replacement for them as well.

gallery-1506429411-pressha.jpg.e214ff1569e44131906ef7a80920f19a.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for this chart, I like it.  Never thought about all the mergers, and who owns what.

Used to have a neighbor (decades ago) who lived in a true Craftsman mail order house, said "except groceries, if Sears dont sell it? I dont need it"

He'd be spinning in his grave (probably a Sears tombstone) if he saw what happened to the once great giant.

3 hours ago, cstatman said:

Thanks for this chart, I like it.  Never thought about all the mergers, and who owns what.

Used to have a neighbor (decades ago) who lived in a true Craftsman mail order house, said "except groceries, if Sears dont sell it? I dont need it"

He'd be spinning in his grave (probably a Sears tombstone) if he saw what happened to the once great giant.

My first shotgun came from sears in the 70's. I still have it!

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

spacer.png

5 hours ago, cstatman said:

Edited by anotherbike
  • Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
40 minutes ago, anotherbike said:

spacer.png

My brother's neighbor lived in a Sears house.  Sears:  the OG Amazon...mismanaged to death.  Now that my memory has been jogged, I recall working for Sears selling tires when I was in college.  Retail wasn't my jam, but Sears sold some great products (anyone remember when Diehard batteries were the cat's meow?).  RIP.

961362084_468x60Stoltec.png.007fa8bc922e0e30cea1cde037ff2aa2.png

stoltecmoto.com | 610.252.7232

The Stoltec Moto Build Thread

1 hour ago, Stoltec Moto said:

My brother's neighbor lived in a Sears house.  Sears:  the OG Amazon...mismanaged to death.  Now that my memory has been jogged, I recall working for Sears selling tires when I was in college.  Retail wasn't my jam, but Sears sold some great products (anyone remember when Diehard batteries were the cat's meow?).  RIP.

Diehard were the best batteries back in the day. Yet another superior brand, ruined by Sears board of directors.

A trip down memory lane in this thread!  Ironic thing just happened to me about a week ago- I have a very old heavy duty rain coat that’s a size or 2 to large for me so I almost never wear it but I’ve kept it.  About a week ago I pulled it out and was looking it over.  Their was a bit of a pouch in a bottom pocket on the back that I thought housed a hood or something. Unzipped it and pulled out a brand new set of craftsman mechanics gloves from about 20 years ago! Their very well made! Better than most the crap available today. 

he had #17

WHICH, oddly?   looks a lot like the house I live in today-   However mine was 1902 built, and pre - sears kit

44D07B90-7E7E-4F61-AB3E-FC6FE978375B.jpeg

• Like 1

I've owned DieHard batteries. Own several Sears Craftsman tools, and still have my original Sears Craftsman toolbox !