Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CanBus ?

Janson

Some one mentioned that  the T7 are wired via Canbus ,  in a tread abaut fitting usb socket . How can that be , i mean all those fuses does not comput with canbus ore are im out saling here ? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Excelent question, I really don't think there is a can-bus system on the T7? I can't really find any mention of it in the service manual.

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

Indeed . Lots of talk abaut CanBus on the forum . BUT ! CanBus systems do NOT need fuses as the computer will shut down faulty systems . Futher more  less cables are needed and this is the gain . Less weight ! 

19 hours ago, Janson said:

Indeed . Lots of talk abaut CanBus on the forum . BUT ! CanBus systems do NOT need fuses as the computer will shut down faulty systems . Futher more  less cables are needed and this is the gain . Less weight ! 

Not necessarily. It depends on how the ECM is configured.

-audifan

CAN bus doesn't mean solid state. If you run electrical switching via solid state circuits then you can use logic rather than fuses and relays. But if you walk out and look at your car you will find a fuse box or two with ease. And all vehicles currently use some for of CAN language. A CAN bus is nothing but a two wire computer network that "speaks" in a specific language. It is only there to transfer data which requires very little power. Sometimes that data asks a device to function, but that doesn't mean that circuit doesn't need to be protected by a fuse. It also doesn't mean you cant use power wires on the bike for other items. 

For a CAN bus system to work you have to have a module at either end of the communications circuits. I can't see them putting a module in a power plug because there is no need for this when it can be done an easier way. A CAN bus consists of at least 2 controller modules and 2 circuits, a CAN Hi and a CAN Lo with a resistor joining the 2 circuits at each end which is usually incorporated in the modules. I can't see anything that looks like a CAN bus in the wiring diagrams. I can see a communication wire from the Engine Control Unit to the ABS Electronic Control Unit, but it is only a single wire so can't be a CAN bus. I'd say it's a serial data circuit that communicates at high speed between the Engine Control Unit  and the ABS, seeing as the front and rear wheel speed signal goes directly to the Engine Control Unit. This is a white and yellow wire.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sbeck09 said:

CAN bus doesn't mean solid state. If you run electrical switching via solid state circuits then you can use logic rather than fuses and relays. But if you walk out and look at your car you will find a fuse box or two with ease. And all vehicles currently use some for of CAN language. A CAN bus is nothing but a two wire computer network that "speaks" in a specific language. It is only there to transfer data which requires very little power. Sometimes that data asks a device to function, but that doesn't mean that circuit doesn't need to be protected by a fuse. It also doesn't mean you cant use power wires on the bike for other items. 

The CAN bus circuit itself is protected by the terminating resistors at each end of the can bus. I've never seen a fuse on a CAN bus but would be happy to be proven wrong, there are fuses protecting the modules that contain the CAN bus, but not on the CAN bus circuits. You can't just tap into a CAN bus for power, it's for communication only.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

The CAN bus circuit itself is protected by the terminating resistors at each end of the can bus. I've never seen a fuse on a CAN bus but would be happy to be proven wrong, there are fuses protecting the modules that contain the CAN bus, but not on the CAN bus circuits. You can't just tap into a CAN bus for power, it's for communication only.

Correct, we agree. I should have been more clear. My point was that the bike having a CAN bus wouldn't stop you from tapping power like any other harness. You just have to make sure you arent using the CAN wires.

• Like 1

I just had a better look at the wiring diagram on my PC instead of my phone, looks like there is a CAN bus joining the Engine Control Unit, the ABS and the instruments. The blue and black, and the blue and red wires are the comms. The speed signal goes into the Engine Control unit then communicated to the other modules from there.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, sbeck09 said:

Correct, we agree. I should have been more clear. My point was that the bike having a CAN bus wouldn't stop you from tapping power like any other harness. You just have to make sure you arent using the CAN wires.

Yes, and another thing you have to be careful of is running other non genuine wiring next to the CAN bus wires that may interfere with the signal. The CAN bus wires are usually twisted together to reduce the chance of this happening and this is called a "twisted pair" , and no, i'm not talking about King Jong-un and Donald Trump 😝

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, Whitey66 said:

Yes, and another thing you have to be careful of is running other non genuine wiring next to the CAN bus wires that may interfere with the signal. The CAN bus wires are usually twisted together to reduce the chance of this happening and this is called a "twisted pair"

I can  tell you from experience that the CAN wires are low frequency and not known to cause interference, but they are susceptible to it. Interference is typically an issue near ignition wires. Given that the coils are mounted on top of the engine, this can become an issue pretty easily with motorcycles due to limited space. The best way to protect signal wires from this is by using shielded wire. The outer layer is grounded with these. We do it all the time with cars/trucks.