Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What specification are you most hopeful for?

TavisB

• Members

Me, I'm hoping 400-420 lbs dry weight. I've been waiting for someone to make a new bike that can take over for my 950 Adventure when I wear it out.

• Like 1

• Members

Lighter would be better, but was trying to be realistic. I already had my hopes dashed by the Africa Twin.

I would be shocked if this bike is under 465 lbs.  The Starbucks crowd will never take this bike on so much as a dirt road. They want a bunch of heavy shet. Instead of a clear Dirtbike style gas tank, there will be this huge monstrosity of shiny plastic covering the tank.  There will be a big heavy luggage rack thingy on the back. There will be this huge freaking digital gauge cluster that weighs at least ten lbs or more. 

But, guys like us will drop weight by instantly removing the factory exhaust and emissions crap. Maybe even find a way to remove the big luggage rack. 

And, I'll approach the Dirbike Gastank companies and see if one would create a lightweight replacement fuel tank. A big preorder thread should get their attention. 

The T7 will be different bikes for different people. And all are welcome here. 

1 hour ago, TavisB said:

Lighter would be better, but was trying to be realistic. I already had my hopes dashed by the Africa Twin.

Me too. So much so that I sold Africatwin.org .   I wanted nothing to do with that bike.  Nobody can make a bike more boring than Honda. They last forever though. 

• Members
9 hours ago, admin said:

I would be shocked if this bike is under 465 lbs. 

465 WET would be probably the upper limit for me. Dry, that's too heavy. My 14 year old KTM is probably right around there (I should actually weigh it) and makes more power than the Yamaha by a good margin and probably has better suspension. Wouldn't pay for a new bike to downgrade.

600-700 cc adv bikes are mostly in the ~350lb range (KTM 690, XR650L, DR650, etc.). I realize this is a twin cyclinder but it's also a much newer design than the older 650 thumpers so I would think Yamaha would be able to make it around 350lbs. If it's 450lbs, what's the draw vs the Super Tenere at 500lbs? I would also like to see 10+ inches of ground clearance and suspension travel. A low 1st for the gnarly stuff and overdrive 6th for the highway will be a necessity as well. We'll see what Yamaha does but my guess is that they will make it 400+ lbs and the KTM 790 will be closer to 350, yet another fail for the jap manufacturers and a win for ktm. I really hope they get it right because this would be an excellent upgrade from my CRF250L Rally!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, motorberus said:

600-700 cc adv bikes are mostly in the ~350lb range (KTM 690, XR650L, DR650, etc.). I realize this is a twin cyclinder but it's also a much newer design than the older 650 thumpers so I would think Yamaha would be able to make it around 350lbs. If it's 450lbs, what's the draw vs the Super Tenere at 500lbs? I would also like to see 10+ inches of ground clearance and suspension travel. A low 1st for the gnarly stuff and overdrive 6th for the highway will be a necessity as well. We'll see what Yamaha does but my guess is that they will make it 400+ lbs and the KTM 790 will be closer to 350, yet another fail for the jap manufacturers and a win for ktm. I really hope they get it right because this would be an excellent upgrade from my CRF250L Rally!

The MT-07 weighs 395 lbs wet. Same exact engine. The T7 will probably have more more shet like luggage racks skid plates and stuff so will probably be a lil over 400 lbs wet at least.

What are you dreaming for? Tracer 07 weights 432 lbs wet. XT would surely weight more - due to bulkier front fork, luggage rack. I'd say more than 450 for sure.

Target Yamaha-internal was 190kg wet and a price that young people will also buy again Ténéré's - so i'm confident that they'll realise it. MT07 weight is 179–181 kg - so it shoud be possible (maybe only possible without the big tank).

Dropping factory exhaust helps weight alot, shaved 14 lbs on my FZ09 if I remember correctly. If the stock fuel tank is really heavy, I'll approach a couple of the dirt bike aftermarket fuel tank companies to arrange a group buy if they can design a lighter plastic tank for us.

I'm sure we will be about dropping as much weight as possible no matter what this bike weighs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Christopher said:

this tailpiece is awful, like the brake light sneezed it out or something. Please let there be an aftermarket replacement! 

1B7AF559-A311-484F-B0F8-4410B569A287.jpeg

There will be many aftermarket replacements. I'm sure cause that thing is hideous. 

Im more interested in what "changes" the CP2 motor is gonna undergo when its been introduced to the dirtbike crowds... "reverse slant"?... the ability to connect to the ECU via phone and change "maps"?...

looks like Yamaha recycled the FZ/FJ/MT-09 tail light 

Edited by norcal616

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

1 hour ago, mjh937 said:

I bet we get the awful pumpkin turn signals in the US too. 

you mean " flotation devices " ? might come in handy when doing water crossings 

• Haha 2

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

375 lbs wet, $13,000 USD. I hope they get the transmission right as well. I love the 690 enduro except for the transmission. 1st is too tall for the gnar and 6th is too short for the highway.

So what do you guy's think - tubed or tubeless rims? Also what electronics - in the photo in this thread there seems to be an ABS ring on the rear hub? Also based on the luggage rack there cannot be a rear subframe.

4 hours ago, Keith said:

So what do you guy's think - tubed or tubeless rims? Also what electronics - in the photo in this thread there seems to be an ABS ring on the rear hub? Also based on the luggage rack there cannot be a rear subframe.

I've never ridden with tubeless off road.  But with today's easy plug systems, it may be the way to go.