Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Has anyone run the Shinko 805/804 tires?

Cruizin

The Shinko 805/804 tire combo has a bunch of good reviews online and the price is like $100 less than other combos. 

Has anyone ridden on them?  Probably not good in mud, but I live in Western US and it's dry here. 

shinko804805_big_block_adventure_touring

Born from their already popular line of popular dual sport tires, Shinko has created the 804 and 805 geared specifically for the larger adventure tour…

Im curious of those to. 

Maybe somebody can chime in. Yamaha says the read tire is a 150/70 18. Im considering the Motoz Tractionator RallZ tire. The largest it looks that they make is a 140/70 18. This is my first big adventure bike, first more than a single cylinder bike for that matter. 

Can I use that 140 on the Yamaha? What is the difference between the 150/70 and 140/70. 

And don't say "10". LOL Just trying to learn what the numbers mean and if theres a big difference. 

• Like 1

I know a bunch of guys that run the shinko 705s and love them ive ran the shinko 244s and they are a great 50/50 tire for a supermoto.  Ive never had any issues with the shinkos great tires at a great price. Ill probably end up running the Motoz adventure tires or the rally. But i also wouldn't hesitate to run the 805/804 setup.  

1 minute ago, X Plane said:

150 is 150 mm distance from the bottom edge of the tyre (in the rim edge) up and round to the middle of the tyre and 70 means 70% profile of the 150 mm is profile height of the side wall.

e.g. the side walls height of a 150/70 is (150 div 100 times 70) = 105 mm.

A 140/70 is (140 div 100 times 70) = 98 mm, 7 mm lower tyre than a 150/70 i.e. smaller circumference.

155/80 and 175/70 car tyres have the same sidewall heights of 124 mm and 12,5 mm therefore near enough the same overall diameter and therefore no affect on the linear road distance travelled per revolution, so speedo etc works same rate.

You asked lol.

So yes? Or no on the 140 for the Tenere 700 rear stock rim. 

• Premium Member

A 150/70 is 150 mm distance from the bottom edge of the tyre (in the rim edge) up and round to the middle of the tyre and the 70 means with a 70% profile, eg. the profile side wall height is 70% of 150 mm i.e 105 mm high.

e.g. the side walls height of a 150/70 is (150 div 100 times 70) = 105 mm.

A 140/70 is (140 div 100 times 70) = 98 mm, 7 mm lower tyre than a 150/70 i.e. 14 mm  smaller diameter.

155/80 and 175/70 car tyres have the same sidewall heights of 124 mm and 122.5 mm respectively, therefore near enough the same overall radius and diameter and therefore no affect on the linear road distance travelled per revolution, so speedo etc all works same rate.

You asked lol.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

So yes? Or no on the 140 for the Tenere 700 rear stock rim. 

It will fit on. Though the bike will be a bit lower and lower geared and will have lower top speed and rev a bit higher at cruising speeds worse mpg etc but will accelerate quicker. All not that much relevance in the dirt. Your repeat your choice.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, X Plane said:

I will fit on. Though the bike will be a bit lower and lower geared and will have lower top speed and rev a bit higher at cruising speeds worse mpg etc but will accelerate quicker. All not that much relevance in the dirt. Your repeat your choice.

Hmm, that opens things up a bit!

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, X Plane said:

I will fit on. Though the bike will be a bit lower and lower geared and will have lower top speed and rev a bit higher at cruising speeds worse mpg etc but will accelerate quicker. All not that much relevance in the dirt. Your repeat your choice.

* Typo correction ‘I’ to ‘It’ I.e It will fit on...... your choice 

• Premium Member

I have used these on Honda CB500X. Bought them in Kazakhstan and rode on them all the way from there to CZ ~8500km later and they are still usable.

Mud... nope, although better than Mitas E07 (if you keep them straight), but the problem with Shinko as someone mentioned is that due to the arrangement they slide sideways on wet mud a lot.

But for dry gravel, sand, tarmac I found them very good tire (although I'm not picky).

Also, as E-07 Dakar you can ride CB500X on rear Shinko completely flat for 50km 🙂 no issue.... except personal safety.

Edited by FAR&FURTHER
typo
  • Like 2

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

I ran the MABDR with them last summer(on my DR650). They were awesome. Two other guys in our group of 7 ran them as well, and didn't have a bad word to say about them.

Excellent on dirt and very good on-road.  On pavement they're as good as 705's (my previous tires) without the noise the 7xx's generate. On soft dirt they're very confidence inspiring, but on mud they're about average (they're NOT D606's in mud...). I don't think they'll last as long as the 7xx's,but I plan on  buying them again!

I ran these for 2 years on my 990. That was after a few guys in my riding group spoke well about them. 

On road they are surprisingly good. Rain is a bit sketchy, but dry roads will still be fun. You can push them further than a lot of other knobby street tires. Little noisy, but not annoying  in any way. Biggest thing is keeping them aired up. They wear and feel much better above 30psi.

Off road they do well for being a  50/50 tire. Not quite a TKC80, but at 1/3 the cost you can pretty well keep up with those guys. I never felt like the bike was trying to constantly wash out unless I was in super deep sand which no tire does great in. My 990 was 510lbs ready to ride and I ran the tires at about 18-20psi when on the dirt.

They wear like stones so that's a big bonus. If I wasn't interested in something more 75-80% off road oriented I would absolutely be buying these for my Tenere. I might still go back to these anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I. Have used them on my Africa Twin on the BDRs and they were great overall tires. Lots of traction worked decent in mud and lots of confidence on wet pavement 

• Like 1

I was looking at these as well for desert riding but after doing a bunch of research I'm leaning towards the Kenda Big Block. They are very similar but the Kenda's look like they will be a bit better in dirt with the staggered knobs and the reviews on the Kenda front appear to be a bit better. You can see the blocks are a bit deeper and spaced a bit better for dirt.

377103071_Gallery1(1).jpg.0e0a57cc12aa8c89f3fe12a0012acbb4.jpg

Edited by nelsonccc

I ran a set or two on my old Super Tenere. I had no real issues with them. Probably be the tire I go with on the T7 as soon as the Pirellis are gone. For the price and longevity you really can’t go wrong with the 804/805. Another thing is they’re fairly easy to mount. That could be helpful in a flat repair in middle of no where. 

• 3 months later...

I'm 3000km into a set of 804/805. They do exactly what they say on the tin. 

Strangely they don't feel quite as good on the road as the narrower 805 I ran on my Transalp. Maybe it's the size / profile. Either way, they work. And they're inexpensive. 

I've included pics at 100km and 3000km for wear comparison. 

IMG20201020151008.jpg

IMG20201206134413.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on the tyres. I've switched out the 805 rear for a new 805 in 140/80-18 and anecdotally it feels way better both on and off road than the 150/70-18. 

Could just be the difference of a non squared off tyre, but it feels way more stable at lean than the 150 did when new.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...