Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Will stock Cigarette lighter port power a tire pump?

Cruizin

Question

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I'm hoping that it does 

Nope, doesn’t work & upping the fuse to 10amp is not good; as the wiring i think is too light weight / I believe is CANBus through the ignition switch.

You can pop the seat off and put compressor direct onto the battery.

Though I wired in a new cigarette lighter unit (in the right-hand spare place) with its own heavy copper wires and an inline 10 amp fuse, straight onto the battery. I can run a compressor in this one and even put my battery trickle charger into it to keep the battery charged up, all with ignition switch off.

And nope it has no drain on the battery.

There may be another fix.... Hope that this helps.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Yes it will. But it will also immediately burn the 2A fuse which the auxiliary circuit has.

Now, there is a massive debate about this and I'm not going to say I'm expert... so please correct me.

I changed the fuse to 10A because:

1. My 3port USB charger in one port and the DJI Mavic Pro 12v charger burns the 2A fuse
  2. My tire pump does the same

My logic:

The circuit, according to the wiring diagram is directly connected to fuse nothing else, from the fuse it is connected to main switch and that goes to battery. This means that only danger here is you burn your alternator if you overload whole system and even if you'd do it, there is a main 30A fuse.

Can someone please prove me wrong?

Pavel

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

Yes it will. But it will also immediately burn the 2A fuse which the auxiliary circuit has.

Now, there is a massive debate about this and I'm not going to say I'm expert... so please correct me.

I changed the fuse to 10A because:

1. My 3port USB charger in one port and the DJI Mavic Pro 12v charger burns the 2A fuse
  2. My tire pump does the same

My logic:

The circuit, according to the wiring diagram is directly connected to fuse nothing else, from the fuse it is connected to main switch and that goes to battery. This means that only danger here is you burn your alternator if you overload whole system and even if you'd do it, there is a main 30A fuse.

Can someone please prove me wrong?

Pavel

Need to check if wiring is light weight CANBus..... as upping the fuse to 10amp may not be good at all; as the wiring i think is too light. 

I wired in a new cigarette lighter unit in the right hand spare place, with its own heavy copper wires and an inline 10 amp fuse, straight onto the battery.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, X Plane said:

Need to check if wiring is light weight CANBus..... as upping the fuse to 10amp may not be good at all; as the wiring i think is too light. 

I wired in a new cigarette lighter unit in the right hand spare place, with its own heavy copper wires and an inline 10 amp fuse, straight onto the battery.

What guage wire did you use?

I run a fused SAE socket battery tender directly to the battery on all my bikes. I can trickle charge when bike is being rested off registration. Then all manor of electric accessories can be plugged in. 

In the first photo my pump with SAE plug and a usb plug. Photo 2 and 3 shows a battery operated pump which is usb plug rechargeable. Fantastic pump I use mostly. Set your required pressure in PSI or Bar and kpa and it stops. It's very robust and compact. I purchased on EBay years ago. 👍

15903676309727427688986761883989.jpg

15903678519534518569649767510096.jpg

15903679313187195325584129072621.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Cruizin said:

What guage wire did you use?

Wires were already attached on it, it was a Yamaha MT-09 accessory, long ones that go under the tank to the battery.

I guess like old headlight wire gauge. Left hand side of photo below

A24AE429-879C-46EC-871C-53E672E76431.jpeg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

@Hogan I see! Thanks for great response.

So if I understand this correctly, if I measure wires the 12v socket is connected to and lookup what Amps rating those cables have and withstand I can up the fuse safely to that point.

Also 3mm in diameter, does that mean with insulation are we talking only about the 3mm of copper?

Pavel

• Premium Member

So I could not stop think about anything else here and did some research.

We want to know if we can use 7.5A or 10A fuse for our front 12V socket? This depends on the wire we have as mentioned above so and its length, lets assume the length of the harness is somewhere up to 1.5m or 5ft.

According to table bellow, we are looking for a cable diameter of 16AWG or 1.5mm.

Recommended Length and Amperage for Automotive Wire while maintaining a 2% or less voltage drop at 12 volts
AWG / mm2 5 Amps 10 Amps 15 Amps 20 Amps 25 Amps 30 Amps
20 / 0.50  4.5 ft 2.2 ft 1.6 ft   .  
18  / 0.75  7.3 ft 3.7 ft 2.4 ft 1.8 ft    
16 / 1.5  11.5 ft  5.8 ft  3.8 ft 2.9 ft  2.3 ft  1.9 ft
14 / 2.5  18.4 ft  9.2 ft  6.1 ft 4.6 ft  3.7 ft  3.1 ft
12 / 4.0  29.4 ft  14.7 ft  9.8 ft 7.4 ft  5.9 ft  4.9 ft
10 / 6.0 46.8 ft  23.4 ft  15.6 ft 11.7 ft  9.4 ft 7.8 ft
8 / 10  74.4 ft  37.2 ft  24.8 ft 18.6 ft  14.9 ft  12.4 ft
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

So I could not stop think about anything else here and did some research.

We want to know if we can use 7.5A or 10A fuse for our front 12V socket? This depends on the wire we have as mentioned above so and its length, lets assume the length of the harness is somewhere up to 1.5m or 5ft.

According to table bellow, we are looking for a cable diameter of 16AWG or 1.5mm.

Recommended Length and Amperage for Automotive Wire while maintaining a 2% or less voltage drop at 12 volts
AWG / mm2 5 Amps 10 Amps 15 Amps 20 Amps 25 Amps 30 Amps
20 / 0.50  4.5 ft 2.2 ft 1.6 ft   .  
18  / 0.75  7.3 ft 3.7 ft 2.4 ft 1.8 ft    
16 / 1.5  11.5 ft  5.8 ft  3.8 ft 2.9 ft  2.3 ft  1.9 ft
14 / 2.5  18.4 ft  9.2 ft  6.1 ft 4.6 ft  3.7 ft  3.1 ft
12 / 4.0  29.4 ft  14.7 ft  9.8 ft 7.4 ft  5.9 ft  4.9 ft
10 / 6.0 46.8 ft  23.4 ft  15.6 ft 11.7 ft  9.4 ft 7.8 ft
8 / 10  74.4 ft  37.2 ft  24.8 ft 18.6 ft  14.9 ft  12.4 ft

Great info. I checked the service manual and I couldn't find any mention of wire gauge (awg). Most wire has it printed on the wire. You could check the auxiliary plug wire for its awg to see if it can handle a larger amp fuse. 

Why risk doing damage when it takes a couple of minutes to hook up a battery tender to the battery.

C73100A5-60F4-48C4-B946-E9187CC185F9.jpeg

• Like 6

• Premium Member

@slakdawg I'll check later when I'm checking the wiring for the headlight.

@Limey I'm not saying people should or should not use the harness. My secondary 12v plug has been installed by Yamaha so I have now the plug on the harness and I want to get to the bottom, in terms of fact if I can or can not rise the rating on the fuse to about 7.5A (which would be enough for me).

I used the Fusebox on Honda CB500X for my whole trip and definitely recommend! Super stuff and makes everything tidy and independent.

Pavel

Edited by FAR&FURTHER
Fusebox reply

23 minutes ago, Limey said:

Why risk doing damage when it takes a couple of minutes to hook up a battery tender to the battery.

No risk if the wire is rated for some higher fuse. And because it's already there. And because 2 amp stock is too low for about any modern device and ridiculous that Yam even included this. IMHO.

I'll be replacing the fuse if the wire can handle higher amps and if not, will replace the wiring to that socket.

• Premium Member

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Thlevel 2x Car Cigarette Lighter Socket, Waterproof Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Plug Socket with Fuse at Amazon UK.

Fit similar (to spare dash location) and wire to battery. 

• Premium Member

@Cruizin I'm amazed how many cool things are available for T7 in US! You guys have so many options to mess with the bike 🙂 That is pretty cool site.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

@Cruizin I'm amazed how many cool things are available for T7 in US! You guys have so many options to mess with the bike 🙂 That is pretty cool site.

Actually easternbeaver is in Japan.

• Like 1

What if one simply moved the original 12v socket to the right side and plugged it into the 10AMP auxiliary wiring that is available there?

Then, buy a new USB charging socket for the left hand side and plug it into the 2AMP wiring?

This way you can charge your USB devices with 2AMP capacity and still have a 10AMP 12V socket available for devices that require more juice?

Unless the original 12v socket comes with really tiny wires?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Hogan said:

@FAR&FURTHER

Yes, that's 3mm diameter including insulation.

The figures in that table are the cross-sectional area of the copper core (noted by the mm^2), and not the core or core+insulation diameter You are still looking for a wire with about a 3mm diameter including insulation.

Then to be sure you really should cut the wire and measure the core diameter

For a 1.5mm^2 cross section, you will be looking at a  2 * sqrt(1.5/pi).

Or about 1.3 to 1.4mm as it's difficult to accurately measure multi strand wire

Thank you for really great explanation. I'm going to look what are the wires used in the harness.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

What if one simply moved the original 12v socket to the right side and plugged it into the 10AMP auxiliary wiring that is available there?

Then, buy a new USB charging socket for the left hand side and plug it into the 2AMP wiring?

This way you can charge your USB devices with 2AMP capacity and still have a 10AMP 12V socket available for devices that require more juice?

Unless the original 12v socket comes with really tiny wires?

Good idea.....

as the spare wiring connector on the right-hand-side is 10 amp for use with heated grips etc.

I did similar but I wired in the 12V socket straight back to the battery with a 10 Amp inline fuse;

this way means I can 12V socket without the ignition switch being on and I can plug my battery trickle charger in it.

i carry a spare 12v cig socket on crocadile clips. ill be using this to pump my tyres up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bth2 said:

i carry a spare 12v cig socket on crocadile clips. ill be using this to pump my tyres up.

Also a good idea. In addition you can use it on every other battery if needed. Big thumbs up. Will add one to my Tool roll.

For battery connection/support I put a second OEM socket to the right side and wired it directly to the battery (with 10 amp fuse). Didn't want to use the accessories wires for that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bikeever said:

For battery connection/support I put a second OEM socket to the right side and wired it directly to the battery (with 10 amp fuse). 

Ditto.. 

I also fitted 2nd 12V Socket (old MT-09 Accessory) with 10amp fuse & long leads straight wired to the battery. 

• Like 1

I fitted a Merit socket on the right hand side and wired direct to the battery. The job only took 15 mins. Didn't have to remove anything other than the seat. I use the merit as I have just come off a BMW!

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Premium Member

Hello everyone, long overdue update.

I've checked how I did wiring for the additional 12V socket and this is what I did:

1. Yamaha has connector with 3 wires, 2 positive + 1 ground. I connected the 2 positives and replaced the socket with 2 pin socket instead of 3 pins.

2. Above resulted in fact that I'm now using 2 cables together for 1 load. It can't be calculated as I have now double amps available (according what I found online) but it definitely gives me more save amps than one single cable.

3. I've measured how many amps my small compressor needs and it is 3.5A when cold and 4.8A when warm after inflating front tyre from 0psi to 36psi.

So... my conclusion is: My setup is safe for 7.5A fuse I installed according to the tables above mainly because my compressor won't go anywhere near 10A.

• Like 1