Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

My other two bikes to complement my incoming T7

whisperquiet

My incoming, pre-ordered T7 will hopefully be Intensity White.  I currently own a 2015 Super Tenere and a 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300....and recently sold my 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R.

A3D1CA71-97E2-42C7-96C7-D8B8AD6B0B71.jpeg

3419A2C8-9A31-4DA3-908C-1A91A650B4D5.jpeg

• Like 4

Keeping these;

DSCF1166.thumb.JPG.221d13640c257c0c301a2e4afbb2af9a.JPG

Selling this;

381896138_DSCF0696-Copy.thumb.JPG.e6e132c7b8930041ca27bfcb8ea07e55.JPG

• Like 7
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

The older I am.....the slower and less reckless I am.  I am a two stroke fan at heart.....nice combo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BADDANDY said:

Keeping these;

DSCF1166.thumb.JPG.221d13640c257c0c301a2e4afbb2af9a.JPG

Selling this;

381896138_DSCF0696-Copy.thumb.JPG.e6e132c7b8930041ca27bfcb8ea07e55.JPG

Sorry to high jack the thread.. I have one question about the 4 stroke husky and if it is to long please PM me. 

How much maintenance does it need realistically and are you happy with reliability? 

Apologise again. 

Aleks 

13 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Sorry to high jack the thread.. I have one question about the 4 stroke husky and if it is to long please PM me. 

How much maintenance does it need realistically and are you happy with reliability? 

Apologise again. 

Aleks 

Change oil, check valves every 1,000 miles and ride. 3,000 miles so far.

• Thanks 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Great photo...that's quite some mileage! Cheers,  Steve 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2020 at 1:06 PM, whisperquiet said:

My incoming, pre-ordered T7 will hopefully be Intensity White.  I currently own a 2015 Super Tenere and a 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300....and recently sold my 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R.

A3D1CA71-97E2-42C7-96C7-D8B8AD6B0B71.jpeg

3419A2C8-9A31-4DA3-908C-1A91A650B4D5.jpeg

What an interesting bike line-up. I’m curious why you sold the KTM? And what types of riding you plan to do with the remaining 3 when you get your T7? Or will the T7 replace one or more of the remaining bikes? 

I use the Super Tenere for long days or trips as I have a full set of luggage + the S10 has factory cruise control.  I ride it about 10,000 miles a year.  I ride the X 300 all the time because it is fun, nimble, and good for all around local riding.  It gets ridden about 10,000 miles but way more days than the S10.  I sold the 690 because it was not a good fit ergonomically.......too cramped with high pegs, tight handle bars, and seating position.  It ran great but I just don’t plan to ride tougher stuff anymore in my mid 60’s.  I rode it 5000 miles the year I owned it.    I plan on using the T7 (if I ever get one/if the Yamaha factory dealer rep actually ordered one) for all around riding like I did on a KLR650 for 25 years.....anywhere the bike will go safely with me on it.

I plan on keeping all three bikes and will also be looking for a Yamaha Tracer GT......100 lbs lighter than the S10 with factory luggage and cruise control.   That lineup should work for a few years.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 5/25/2020 at 2:54 PM, Limey said:

193,000 km on this old girl.

07F9D58C-4887-4DB9-8441-84E7F363573B.jpeg

Love that photo!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

Love that photo!

That looks like a water crossing I will never make or have made!  I lost a KLR once in a fast moving low water dam.......completely under 5 foot of fast moving water.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Sold this

20190603_101654.jpg

Keeping these

20180824_070846_IMG_2127.JPG

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

You got rid of the best trail bike ever??  The CL450?  I worked at a Honda motorcycle shop 1974-77........great times indeed.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

You got rid of the best trail bike ever??  The CL450?  I worked at a Honda motorcycle shop 1974-77........great times indeed.

Sadly, yes. At 6'1" with a 36" inseam, 200 miles + in one day on that beast paid dividends for my chiropractor!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

17 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

Love that photo!

Good deal at 193,000 kms....I have about that amount on four S10s.....’12 with 21500 miles, ‘13 with 36,500 miles, another ‘13 with 26,000 miles, and my ‘15 with 40,000 miles....long story on four S10s!  Great bikes👍

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:57 PM, whisperquiet said:

The older I am.....the slower and less reckless I am.  I am a two stroke fan at heart.....nice combo.

You know I say the same thing, but I have noticed I only say it when I don't have a throttle in my hand, and when I have a throttle in my hand I forget everything I have said.

Maybe it is senility?

Oh well senility is bliss!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Time to update my original post.  I bought a used ‘19 Tracer 900 GT and sold the Versys-X 300.  I am all Yamaha with my Super Tenere, Tenere 700, and the Tracer GT.

3828631B-A6AE-4A3B-87E4-72668ACD25D6.jpeg

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Time to update my original post.  I bought a used ‘19 Tracer 900 GT and sold the Versys-X 300.  I am all Yamaha with my Super Tenere, Tenere 700, and the Tracer GT.

3828631B-A6AE-4A3B-87E4-72668ACD25D6.jpeg

Probably my favorite bike I own (don't have any real miles on my Tenere 700 just yet), but I love my Tracer 900GT.

It's the only bike in my stable that's basically bone stock, save for some protection stuff like bar ends and engine cases.

Frickin' love that bike!

🙂

- Paul

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

Probably my favorite bike I own (don't have any real miles on my Tenere 700 just yet), but I love my Tracer 900GT.

It's the only bike in my stable that's basically bone stock, save for some protection stuff like bar ends and engine cases.

Frickin' love that bike!

🙂

- Paul

I’ve owned the T7 four months and ridden it 5300 miles ...... owned the Tracer 900 GT two months and ridden it 2600 miles.  I believe (IMHO) the T7 is way overhyped and the Tracer 900 GT is by far the better bike in it’s element.  I am still sort of meh about the T7 and not as impressed with it as I thought.  The ergos are not good for me on the T7 and I am waiting for the tall Seat Concepts one piece seat.  

On the other hand,  my Tracer is a flat out enjoyable bike to ride.....all the time.  The T7 is awkward, top heavy, and not nimble in my mind + it feels heavier than it is.  The Tracer feels much lighter than the T7.....even though it is not.

Rant over👍🏍

7 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I’ve owned the T7 four months and ridden it 5300 miles ...... owned the Tracer 900 GT two months and ridden it 2600 miles.  I believe (IMHO) the T7 is way overhyped and the Tracer 900 GT is by far the better bike in it’s element.  I am still sort of meh about the T7 and not as impressed with it as I thought.  The ergos are not good for me on the T7 and I am waiting for the tall Seat Concepts one piece seat.  

On the other hand,  my Tracer is a flat out enjoyable bike to ride.....all the time.  The T7 is awkward, top heavy, and not nimble in my mind + it feels heavier than it is.  The Tracer feels much lighter than the T7.....even though it is not.

Rant over👍🏍

From what I've ridden so far on my T7, I love it.  But for two up distance riding, you can't beat the Tracer 900GT 🙂

On 12/4/2020 at 5:24 PM, pgeldz said:

From what I've ridden so far on my T7, I love it.  But for two up distance riding, you can't beat the Tracer 900GT 🙂

I am trying to decide on a new bike.  Looking at the tracer 900 GT and the T7.  If you had to pick one what would it be. I do like the looks and the equipment and power of the Tracer 900 GT. What would be better as a daily rider in the city?

12 minutes ago, eestelle said:

I am trying to decide on a new bike.  Looking at the tracer 900 GT and the T7.  If you had to pick one what would it be. I do like the looks and the equipment and power of the Tracer 900 GT. What would be better as a daily rider in the city?

That's a really hard question to answer for me, honestly.

If you plan to do two up riding, the Tracer 900GT all day long.

If you're just solo, it changes things.  I don't have enough seat time on my Tenere to make a fair comparison.  I got the Tenere because it's a great bike if you want to explore off road.  I'm new at off road, so this bike, while still being a bit bigger and heavier than some small single cylinder bikes more suited to dirt, is still IMHO the best all 'rounder of you want to ride multiple surfaces.

But for communing solo...it's hard to say.  I like the fact that the Tracer has easily removeable hard side cases, so if you bring gear into work, or have to change once you get to work, you're all set.  That would be an add on on the Tenere.

The Tracer is like a sport bike with touring capabilities.  The Tenere looks like it just came off a rally stage.

Both equally fun, but different.

I guess I need more time on the Tenere to honestly answer your question, but that's my initial impressions.

I'll put it to you this way...I'm not getting rid of either bike any time soon 🙂

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz