Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How are the stock tires? Anyone venture off road with em?

Cruizin

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

I did a video on this a few weeks ago. 

To summarise, the stock tyres aren’t very good if you want to ride trails or if the fire roads start to turn into muddy sections. Riding a fire road is absolutely fine once it’s gravel or hard pack. But these tyres just cannot handle mud, grass and even struggle a bit on wet gravel. As can be seen in the video above, I find a few trails but just don’t have the confidence to ride them after a bit of rain the night previous. Being on my own also, if the trail ends up in an incline, you’ll be right fecked if it’s coupled with moisture (whatever the surface material). On the road, I’ve yet to find a fault with these tyres, there’s no noise, no crazy vibration or feedback you might get from a knobbly and they wear very well. 

In terms of a new tyre, the new Bridgestone AX41 has my eye

lol, Yoo stupid phuuck!   I can totally relate. 

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

honestly they are better then I thought. I choose to keep them for this year after trying them out…next year I will start with them  but I will changed them before that are due. 

I would rate then as such 

very good on the road

fair on loose gravel

poor on sand 

poor in the mud 

Edited by maddog123

One thing I noticed about the stock STRs is that they lose grip offroad once the knob edges round off. The looser the soil, the more pronounced I found this. 

They are street only tires for me, and pretty good ones at that. 

• Like 1

I didnt mind them u til i hit wet mud/clay. Then they feel wishy washy. Sand wasnt terrible though, act like a paddle tire of sorts. Definitely more of a road tire, but still capable for FSRs and some trails. If you lived offroad though with it, I wouldnt run them.

The stock Pirelli's are actually pretty brilliant!

They are fantastic on the tarmac, even in the wet. Never had the front or rear lose traction in the wet / pouring rain.

They are pretty good on gravel for tamer riding, the front however may lose footing if you push too hard.

In the mud, they just cake up really quick and leave you spinning with no traction. They do not clear out easily either in the mud.

On the sand, they seemed to be alright, but if you dig yourself in, then you are going to need to be pulled out.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |