Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AXP bash plate

Chalk

Just wondering if anyone has given the AXP bash plate a good test yet?  Wondering how strong it’s is in the real world on a heavy bike,

• 1 month later...

This guy had one on his bike , went riding with buddys , hit a rock going 40 km/h in an atv trail . Result ; the plastic absorbed the impact but pushed on the bottom frame , wich runs close to the oil pan , so it just cracked . They saw it right away and it was not draining just swetting , and they did the JBWeld and finished their run . 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RidAventure.ca/?multi_permalinks=10158723724303385&comment_id=10158724301778385&notif_id=1594075932609872&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

• 2 months later...

I've had similar AXP skid plates on my dirt bikes.  They always did a great job of protecting my dirt bikes here in Colorado, where rocks are everywhere.

I generally prefer composite (plastic) skid plates to aluminum or steel.  They are lighter, quieter, and deform instead of transferring the impact to the frame.  However, the incident described above is concerning.  But is not clear to me what happened there.  Did the mounting bracket welded to the frame get damaged?  What caused the oil leak?

• Like 1

Would be good to see pics as currently use the original ally unit however I haven’t tried it off road but would like to see different plastic versions 

I run Iron Baltic HDPE On my Can Am Atv's god know they see plenty of rocks, when I upgrade the tenere I will replace the Aluminum with HDPE.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, Lonewolf said:

This guy had one on his bike , went riding with buddys , hit a rock going 40 km/h in an atv trail . Result ; the plastic absorbed the impact but pushed on the bottom frame , wich runs close to the oil pan , so it just cracked . They saw it right away and it was not draining just swetting , and they did the JBWeld and finished their run . 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RidAventure.ca/?multi_permalinks=10158723724303385&comment_id=10158724301778385&notif_id=1594075932609872&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

My only concern is lack of support under the front of the bash plate. On smaller bikes with narrower frame rails it makes sense. But with a large gap between rails and a heavier bike, I think the flex is too much in the middle.

This is just my impression. It would be good to get someone that owns one to put a normal hydraulic jack under the centre front of the plate and try to jack the bike up, taking the weight of the bike. This should be enough to confirm if there is an issue. I imagine the plastic will deform quite a bit, and also stress the frame rails trying to pull them inward.

a0d679d6-f9aa-448a-a591-5f466cd44253.jpg