Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Turbulent times? This really worked for me......

Ride & Shine

Hi All, member Alexander13 covered this off in another thread however I thought it was a significant enough existing issue for current owners plus a definite one for future owners so wanted to dedicate a thread to it with a bit more detail. I’ve  had my bike for 4 months (6,600kms) now and the turbulence off the OEM screen was  really getting to me. It hit me just under the helmet and all but nullified the effect of even custom silicon ear plugs especially over 90kms/hr. My set up for your comparison:
1. Rally seat
2. 180 cms tall
3. Arai XD4 helmet

I experimented with
1. no screen = turbulence, no improvement
2. OEM screen lowered (duct tape) to same level as navigation bar = turbulence, no improvement
3. Powerbronze adventure sport screen (link below) = PURE CLEAN AIR!!!

Even though the Powerbronze screen dimensions would come close to lowering the OEM screen as I did in no2 above the end result is like chalk and cheese. This is my new best bang for the buck mod to my bike by a bloody country mile! I know each persons set up is different and the variables involved in their experience on the bike are manifold however if you’re like me 180cms or above (as Aleksandar13 is) then I can say with some personal experience that your turbulent times are sorted! Enjoy!

Powerbronze Adventure Sport Screens have a lower profile than the original part for a more "sporty look" - Made from 3mm Acrylic - 17 colours available - Flame polished edges - Uses original fixings - Simple and easy to fit - TUV, ABE approved

• Like 8

At 192cm I am suffering from the same issue. It's incredibly noisy to ride at anything above 60kmh. I may just go that route but I am surprised that lowering the OEM screen does not help. Maybe the tapered right and left-hand edges sort this out with the Powerbronze screen?

dude....I wish I had come across it 4 months ago! Yeah I was surprised that lowering the OEM screen had zero effect, I can only summise that the rounded off top edge lip of the OEM screen causes the turbulence whereas the squared off Powerbroze one seems to cut or break up the wind on the way through. Either way you've got someone 12cms shorter than you and another 1 cm taller than you that have already trialed the product for you with a thumbs up...probably as pre-qualified as you're going to get. If you do go this route, be sure to let us all know how you go..OK!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride & Shine said:

Hi All, member Alexander13 covered this off in another thread however I thought it was a significant enough existing issue for current owners plus a definite one for future owners so wanted to dedicate a thread to it with a bit more detail. I’ve  had my bike for 4 months (6,600kms) now and the turbulence off the OEM screen was  really getting to me. It hit me just under the helmet and all but nullified the effect of even custom silicon ear plugs especially over 90kms/hr. My set up for your comparison:
1. Rally seat
2. 180 cms tall
3. Arai XD4 helmet

I experimented with
1. no screen = turbulence, no improvement
2. OEM screen lowered (duct tape) to same level as navigation bar = turbulence, no improvement
3. Powerbronze adventure sport screen (link below) = PURE CLEAN AIR!!!

Even though the Powerbronze screen dimensions would come close to lowering the OEM screen as I did in no2 above the end result is like chalk and cheese. This is my new best bang for the buck mod to my bike by a bloody country mile! I know each persons set up is different and the variables involved in their experience on the bike are manifold however if you’re like me 180cms or above (as Aleksandar13 is) then I can say with some personal experience that your turbulent times are sorted! Enjoy!

Powerbronze Adventure Sport Screens have a lower profile than the original part for a more "sporty look" - Made from 3mm Acrylic - 17 colours available - Flame polished edges - Uses original fixings - Simple and easy to fit - TUV, ABE approved

I had the same experience. 5’10”  Schubeth C3 adventure helmet. Spent ages trying all sorts of settings, deflectors, extensions made with core-flute and duct tape with the std screen, low screen, no screen, increasing angle, reducing angle etc etc looking for what worked. Taller and wider seemed to work best and I purchased a Skidmarks screen. Screen doesn’t look very pretty but my T7 is now the quietest bike I have ever owned (9 previous adv type bikes).

Cheers.

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1

Making James May look quick!

53 minutes ago, Ride & Shine said:

dude....I wish I had come across it 4 months ago! Yeah I was surprised that lowering the OEM screen had zero effect, I can only summise that the rounded off top edge lip of the OEM screen causes the turbulence whereas the squared off Powerbroze one seems to cut or break up the wind on the way through. Either way you've got someone 12cms shorter than you and another 1 cm taller than you that have already trialed the product for you with a thumbs up...probably as pre-qualified as you're going to get. If you do go this route, be sure to let us all know how you go..OK!

One of the best mods to do on the bike, like you said it is amazing how much more improved the air flow is .. I realised now that my exhaust is louder .. Here is a side profile pic of the bike.. 📸💯👍🏍️💨

IMG_20200525_190420.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. 

I'm getting my bike hopefully soon and that screen will be waiting for it to be replaced right away. 

When I did my first test ride I noticed it starting from 60 km/h that the buffeting is immense. I replaced too many screens with my 190cm / 6'3" to count so I figured I just have to do it here too. 

Looking forward to your promised holy land! 

• Haha 1

Open your mind, arms and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences!

Hey Michael..I'm not religious at all however based on the first hand experiences related above and your height I reckon milk and honey will flow...:-)

Edited by Ride & Shine
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that nobody proposed a small deflector.

I would not use a HUGE screen since I hate seeing life from behind a plastic shield.

The short screen is also useless when you have a GPS mounted to the 12mm bar.

Maybe the best solution would be an electronic windscreen ? ... or a manually movable one ? ... have not seen one yet.

How about the T7rally solution ? ... https://t7rally.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Ft7-tenere-700-screen-adjuster-kit

Puig has a nifty high screen and you can easy compare with regular using a sliding image. https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscreens-for-fairing-bikes/touring-plus-screen?bike=25652

2 hours ago, MGG said:

I am surprised that nobody proposed a small deflector.

I would not use a HUGE screen since I hate seeing life from behind a plastic shield.

The short screen is also useless when you have a GPS mounted to the 12mm bar.

Maybe the best solution would be an electronic windscreen ? ... or a manually movable one ? ... have not seen one yet.

How about the T7rally solution ? ... https://t7rally.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Ft7-tenere-700-screen-adjuster-kit

Puig has a nifty high screen and you can easy compare with regular using a sliding image. https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscreens-for-fairing-bikes/touring-plus-screen?bike=25652

sometimes I think the tall screen adjustment kit from T7 + the PowerBronze larger side deflector is really all "I" need as a 5-10" guy...

I found with "a lot" of bikes I ridden before (more like 5 :P) the wind tends to come from the front side near the mirror...the actual screen does okay job off the front.

I already have the powerbronze sport screen too.

Turbulence now is almost gone. Huge improvement.

Have the standard seat.

I'm 6'4'' with 33'' inseam.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yobinad said:

I already have the powerbronze sport screen too.

Turbulence now is almost gone. Huge improvement.

Have the standard seat.

I'm 6'4'' with 33'' inseam.

This means you need a rally seat ... 🤣🤣, then you will have a complete bike...👍 

• Haha 1

View of the screen with dark tint.. I've been well happy 😊 

20200605154611_IMG_0137.jpg

20200605153321_IMG_0103.jpg

• Like 1

The dark tint one looks really nice.

I kind of regret for getting the clear one instead of dark tint.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yobinad said:

The dark tint one looks really nice.

I kind of regret for getting the clear one instead of dark tint.

You can always get a new one and sell this one at a small loss... Not very economical but.. We only live once 🤓😅

• Like 1

Nice option, 

I was looking to ditch the screen altogether & replacing with an mx plate just to offer some protection for the display but these come in black & blue. 

Cheers, good find. 

• Like 1

From an older GS, cut, bend with heatgun, made new holes and here it is. Nowhere near as big as it looks in the photo and no wind or noise whatsoever with lip up. Warmer or rainy days lip down, plenty of wind but no buffeting, just clean air.

screen.thumb.jpg.e1149adc34992ea14a002d413c3571e0.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm 6ft 3" & wear an AGV ax-8 dual evo. I recently fitted a Puig screen. There's not so much wind hitting the base of the helmet & shoulders but still turbulence at the top of the helmet. AGV do say that you should remove the peak at speeds above 62 mph so I'll try that next & see what it's like in comparison. 

20200717_163116.jpg

20200717_162623.jpg

Side deflectors are arriving Friday, that should make a small difference to the shoulders I must imagine. 😄 Will report after test ride.

Aleks

If you want to try before you buy you can make adjustments on your original screen by drilling new fixing holes to move the screen up or down to replicate the hight of the brand you're thinking about buying. 

That way you buy what's right for you first time, also a benefit if you don't really want to spend money to reduceor solve the buffeting issue quite a lot of people are experiencing. 

Be careful not to crack the screen, i'd suggest getting the drill bit red hot and drilling on a low speed so not to shatter the plexi. 

6 hours ago, T7lee said:

If you want to try before you buy you can make adjustments on your original screen by drilling new fixing holes to move the screen up or down to replicate the hight of the brand you're thinking about buying. 

That way you buy what's right for you first time, also a benefit if you don't really want to spend money to reduceor solve the buffeting issue quite a lot of people are experiencing. 

Be careful not to crack the screen, i'd suggest getting the drill bit red hot and drilling on a low speed so not to shatter the plexi. 

to prevent cracking, you can tape up a few layers of masking/painter's tape. This will reduce the cracking and rough edge when cutting/drilling.

Works wonder with ABS plastic as well.