Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clothing tips and tricks

neap

Hello

I was riding a motorcycle in about 15 years ago. Due to several reasons (financial and personal) I haven't owned any gear since then. Now I'm getting back onboard, but a lot has changed since then. Although I know which bike I want (T7 obviously) I need some advice regarding the clothing.

I know it's a cliche, but is there a good/affordable brand that does provide quality clothes? 

Ideally I'd like to buy an adventure set and something lighter for daily commuting.

I remember that back in the days I had a jacket with waterproof layer under a kevlar, but in heavy rain all layers were penetrated anyway. Do you think it's better to skip the waterproof layer and use a wetsuit on top of all clothing when it rains ?

I think it takes 2 days to try all those different brands and models in a shop and I can't take any gear for a testride. Dealer wasn't much of a help either and said to every question that the more I pay the better it is......

My riding area is Northern Europe, so rather colder weather.

Any advice, tips and tricks are most welcome.

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neap said:

Hello

I was riding a motorcycle in about 15 years ago. Due to several reasons (financial and personal) I haven't owned any gear since then. Now I'm getting back onboard, but a lot has changed since then. Although I know which bike I want (T7 obviously) I need some advice regarding the clothing.

I know it's a cliche, but is there a good/affordable brand that does provide quality clothes? 

Ideally I'd like to buy an adventure set and something lighter for daily commuting.

I remember that back in the days I had a jacket with waterproof layer under a kevlar, but in heavy rain all layers were penetrated anyway. Do you think it's better to skip the waterproof layer and use a wetsuit on top of all clothing when it rains ?

I think it takes 2 days to try all those different brands and models in a shop and I can't take any gear for a testride. Dealer wasn't much of a help either and said to every question that the more I pay the better it is......

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum... Most of your questions depend if you will use the bike on a daily basis for commuting or casual rider when the weather is nice. 

If you ride in the rain a lot and most of the times then avoid jackets with inner membrane... Goretex is the best on the market but expensive and you can find alternatives...I commuted 2 years in UK winter weather with leather jacket and waterproof on top from a mountain company. 

Cheap waterproof works as long as you don't ride in hot weather where it needs to be breathable. 

You could start by looking at Rst gear in UK and see how you find their products. 

I have been happy with the gear I've got from them. 

What budget do you have for jacket and trousers.. If you want to share this it might be easier to know what to recommend. 

Welcome on board. 

Regards, 

Aleks 

1 hour ago, neap said:

Hello

Thanks!

Good Quality and Affordable hardly go together when it comes to personal protection on a motorcycle. 

I buy Klim gear. It is the best money can buy. I ride the Rocky mountains on dirtbikes and have been caught in numerous heavy down pours and am always dry. It is the only brand of gear I know of that keeps me dry. Klim gear is expensive, but it is of such high quality that it is passed down to future generations. My son is now riding in the Klim gear that I rode in ten years ago, and it still keeps him dry too.   We suspect that my Grandson might end up with it someday. Seriously, that good. 

It is also well protected and full of ventilation zips. Their new 2020 Carlsbad line of jackets and pants are a major upgrade from the previous Carlsbad line.  At $1100 for jacket and pants, it isn't for everyone. But in that moment that it start pouring rain, or in the millisecond in a crash right before you hit the ground, you will think to yourself, PHUCK, I WISH I WAS WEARING KLIM! Lol    Nobody who buys Klim regrets it. 

New Klim Carlsbad Jacket 

klim_carlsbad_jacket_stealth_black.jpg

The Carlsbad Jacket is aimed at serious riders needing highly mobile, highly vented and bulk-minimized adventure gear – all while maintaining Klim's h…

I also know many guys who call Klim too expensive, but over the past ten years they have bought and gotten rid of 4-5 different Jackets/Pants trying to find that Cheap/high quality waterproof and comfortable gear that simply does not exsist.  Meanwhile, I rode ten years in the same Klim garments. They actually spent more money over ten years then I did with my single Klim setup. 

It isn't just how much it costs today, it's how much it costs you over 10-20 years. And how well it actually works. I also take my Klim gear sno boarding and sno mobiling in the winter. I take out the armor for that. 

• Like 4

The problem with Klim is their fit, it's very american and loose. Also bulky and heavy. I'm someone who regrets buying Klim, got their Outrider pants, returned them right away, have a pair of their Gortex Gloves, and they are poorly done, the liners come out with the glove. At one point I was in the rain, pulled over on the highway, took me close to 1hr to get the gloves back on, I kids you not, once the liner is inside out, it's a mess. 

Buying gortex fused in the clothing is a waste of $$$, if you crash, one rip, and its no longer waterproof, been there done that. In the rain, garment still gets heavy, in the mud, gets dirty. Some Rev'it or Scott rain gear to go on top is much more practical and affordable. 

Revit make great fitting gear, on par with Klim if not better. If you want affordable and quality, check out the Scott ADV lineup, very well thought of, lots of people have switched from Klim to Rukka gear and not looked back. Mosko Moto's stuff looks interesting too. Fit is very important, best way to get comfortable is layering, like the ADV Spec philosophy, also end up with versatile gear that can be used on and off the bike. Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum... Most of your questions depend if you will use the bike on a daily basis for commuting or casual rider when the weather is nice. 

If you ride in the rain a lot and most of the times then avoid jackets with inner membrane... Goretex is the best on the market but expensive and you can find alternatives...I commuted 2 years in UK winter weather with leather jacket and waterproof on top from a mountain company. 

Cheap waterproof works as long as you don't ride in hot weather where it needs to be breathable. 

You could start by looking at Rst gear in UK and see how you find their products. 

What budget do you have for jacket and trousers.. If you want to share this it might be easier to know what to recommend. 

Welcome on board. 

Regards, 

Aleks 

Thanks for the advice! As it rains rather often in my area as well, I will get the waterproof for rainy days.

3 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

The problem with Klim is their fit, it's very american and loose. Also bulky and heavy. I'm someone who regrets buying Klim, got their Outrider pants, returned them right away, have a pair of their Gortex Gloves, and they are poorly done, the liners come out with the glove. At one point I was in the rain, pulled over on the highway, took me close to 1hr to get the gloves back on, I kids you not, once the liner is inside out, it's a mess. 

Buying gortex fused in the clothing is a waste of $$$, if you crash, one rip, and its no longer waterproof, been there done that. In the rain, garment still gets heavy, in the mud, gets dirty. Some Rev'it or Scott rain gear to go on top is much more practical and affordable. 

Revit make great fitting gear, on par with Klim if not better. If you want affordable and quality, check out the Scott ADV lineup, very well thought of, lots of people have switched from Klim to Rukka gear and not looked back. Mosko Moto's stuff looks interesting too. Fit is very important, best way to get comfortable is layering, like the ADV Spec philosophy, also end up with versatile gear that can be used on and off the bike. Just my 2 cents

Klim is expensive indeed. I'll check the other brands you mentioned. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, neap said:

Thanks for the advice! As it rains rather often in my area as well, I will get the waterproof for rainy days.

I've never had any of the above issues with any of my klim gear.  And with Klim, if you wreck if you get a police report, and send it in they send you replacements.  They are immensely popular here in the Rockies.  But People in Europe and Australia always say that they are too expensive. 

Rukka is also a good brand, some of the Scott is good. I have a Revit summer jacket called the Airwave. It's pretty good for what it is, as summer jacket. 

• Like 3

If you have insurance, not sure of how it works elsewhere in the world, though in Canada if you wreck, just show your receipts and the insurance companies pay you out for everything, from boots, too helmets, regardless of brand. Might be worth looking into.

I did start a warranty claim with Klim, and it didn't go well. Another rider had his pants seam come loose mid-way through a trip and he was near the Klim HQ, all they offered was a discount on a new pair, so they don't always stand by their products. I did open a warranty claim with Alpinestars once, went smooth, returned some gloves, got the money back, and that's when I thought of trying the Klim ones. They have invested heavily into marketing, and I'm not saying they don't make good gear, they do and it's great quality, however the consumers are paying for all that marketing, alongside the freebies they keep giving moto vloggers and travellers. 

Also, not a fan of how they completely copied Fjallraven's Keb pants with their new Switchback ones, down to a tee, from the snap buckles at the bottom to the side vents. 

In Europe it's a fit thing, wear a pair of alpinestars, or Dainese, and it's snug, fitted, and true to size, sort of tailored, even sleeves are long and EU sizing. Some rev'it stuff is like that, some is US based. I switched over to Adventure Spec stuff, and it's much more proportionate for my body type. 

You won’t find a better warranty than Klims , I’ve had two jackets and  one pair of pants replaced under warranty in 9 years because of them leaking.

• Like 3

Like I said, I'm sure they are great 🙂  - Just trying to get the msg across to the OP, that Fit and function is more important than brand, they're are multiple different companies producing quality gear, with similar craftsmanship, and even more innovative stuff (Like Mosko Moto and the eVent stuff), some at a more affordable price point, and certainly not lower in quality or finish. Quality armour is more important, can switch that to CE Level 2 with any gear

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Like I said, I'm sure they are great 🙂  - Just trying to get the msg across to the OP, that Fit and function is more important than brand, they're are multiple different companies producing quality gear, with similar craftsmanship, and even more innovative stuff (Like Mosko Moto and the eVent stuff), some at a more affordable price point, and certainly not lower in quality or finish. Quality armour is more important, can switch that to CE Level 2 with any gear

Just to keep things fair, Mosko makes great offroad only stuff. Based alot on Event material, it is not what you want to be wearing if you wreck on a road. eVent will burn right off and into your skin if you slide on asphalt while wearing. Sliding on the street wearing Mosko would be like wrecking while wearing a raincoat. 

It's benefit is that Event is thin and light, breaths very well, great for waterproof jackets, backpacking equipment, and off road trail riding. I own a lot of eVent based raingear and Backpacking equipment.  But I'd never consider riding on the road with it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Jus to keep things fair, Mosko makes great offroad only stuff. Based alot on Event material, it is not what you want to be wearing if you wreck on a road. Event will burn right off and into your skin if you slide on asphalt while wearing.

It's benefit is that Event is thin and light, breaths very well, great for waterproof jackets, backpacking equipment, and off road trail riding. I own a lot of eVent based raingear and Backpacking equipment.  But I'd never consider riding on the road with it. 

They do state that, however they also put superfabric on the abrasion resistance areas, and Pete himself crashed in Vietnam this year on the road, took a decent slide in his ride report, and not a single tear on the gear or rip, Ash reported on that. In contrast, I had a low side last year, similar to he's, just dry tarmac, and my Icon DKR Jacket, alongside Alpinestar pants both ripped, however none tore through and the armour did most of the work, so did the gear. A klim jacket, or even Rev'it, or whatever other brand would have faired the same fate, I know a few riders with Klim gear with duct tape over their fallen holes. For tarmac, I keep a Dainese leather jacket

Needless to say, if anyone plans on sliding at 100km/h+ on the hwy, no textile jacket will stay intact 100%. If Mosko is more for off-road, and you are correct, then Daniese make an touring line, re'vit do, Scott ADV do, Alpinestars do, ADV Spec do, all great and reputable brands, alongside Klim. Just as Shoei make great lids, so do Arai and others 🙂 

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1

Klim Badlands Jacket and Dakar pant. Ive had them for over 6 years and still work just like the day I got them. Wouldn't even consider getting anything else after seeing the punishment I've handed these things and how it laughs it off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

They do state that, however they also put superfabric on the abrasion resistance areas, and Pete himself crashed in Vietnam this year on the road, took a decent slide in his ride report, and not a single tear on the gear or rip, Ash reported on that. In contrast, I had a low side last year, similar to he's, just dry tarmac, and my Icon DKR Jacket, alongside Alpinestar pants both ripped, however none tore through and the armour did most of the work, so did the gear. A klim jacket, or even Rev'it, or whatever other brand would have faired the same fate, I know a few riders with Klim gear with duct tape over their fallen holes. For tarmac, I keep a Dainese leather jacket

Needless to say, if anyone plans on sliding at 100km/h+ on the hwy, no textile jacket will stay intact 100%. If Mosko is more for off-road, and you are correct, then Daniese make an touring line, re'vit do, Scott ADV do, Alpinestars do, ADV Spec do, all great and reputable brands, alongside Klim. Just as Shoei make great lids, so do Arai and others 🙂 

What about a lether jacket for adventure riding? I know it`s a personal choice, but are there any lether jackets made for specially adventure? I do find Klim a bit too expensive too. I was looking at revit, but I see that you find Dainese to be one of the best out there, quality and pricewise?

for cheap gear that works go for military stuff. i wear resonably priced motorcycle gear and if the weather turns throw on some military waterproofs. i wear an RAF gortex jacket and army gortex pants both cost about £20 and totaly waterproof.

• Like 2

As always: it depends.

For rain protection:

On a fun ride when getting caught: 1/2/3 layer is fine. Zip-out layers are great as you can adapt quickly to changing circumstances and usually can carry the rain layer in a back pocket. These jackets also ventilate very well so great for warm weather riding.

However on multi-day camping rides I prefer external rain protection, as I don't want a soaking wet jacket and pants in the tent which'll never dry out. Rain layers you can even leave outside and will dry very quickly when the sun comes out. When still wet the next day you can just put them on again over your dry gear.

I personally own a three layer jacket (impact/abrasion protection + wind/rain + thermal) and depending on the ride or trip leave stuff home or pack rain gear.

As for brands, I like Rev'it  as they occupy the upper middle segment successfully (price/features) and fit me well (186m / 78kg). Tried cheaper stuff twice and retuned those quickly.  Currently Sand 3 for holidays & adventure and Ignition for "urban" and day/weekend rides on tarmac (looks way better on my Griso).

And for boots: Sidi adventure gore Tex, if your feet fit them - Italian fit  ;-).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Welcome on board. 

Regards, 

Aleks 

I started out with an Oxford set up, around £250 for jacket, pants, boots. 

Not the best quality but it lasted a good while before the damp & cold started getting through & it allowed me to save for some quality gear that i could purchase in one go rather than a jacket here & gloves there ect. 

• Confused 1

Just now, T7lee said:

I started out with an Oxford set up, around £250 for jacket, pants, boots. 

Not the best quality but it lasted a good while before the damp & cold started getting through & it allowed me to save for some quality gear that i could purchase in one go rather than a jacket here & gloves there ect. 

Oops, that was meant for the original post. 

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 6:50 PM, neap said:

Hello

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, T7lee said:

I started out with an Oxford set up, around £250 for jacket, pants, boots. 

Not the best quality but it lasted a good while before the damp & cold started getting through & it allowed me to save for some quality gear that i could purchase in one go rather than a jacket here & gloves there ect.