Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to Supermoto your T7

Aleksandar13

Hello chaps, since I have probably been the first to make this conversion it might be a good idea to write a how to make this happen the way I did it and give people as much information as possible to do themselves if they wish to do so. 

What is needed:

Hubs : stock or aftermarket, I choose the stock ones and they look great.

You can either buy from yamaha or sacrifice your own wheels like I did. 

Spokes : I haven't measured mine yet but I know they are beefier than stock ones on the back and are made out of stainless, the wheel builder has done them bespoke to match the hubs and the rims together.

Rims : I have gone for Excel Takasaga (I think that's what their called).. Gloss black. But any supermoto rims will do as long as they have 36 no holes for the spokes.

Size for rims:

3.5 inch 17 front

5.0 inch 17 back 

Nipples : brass or stainless, mine are stainless

Tyres : any street tyre will do I went for the:

Mitas Sport force plus. 

120 70 17 

160 60 17 

Once you have these you need to find a wheel builder that does it for you. 

Costs are dependent on where you source the parts. 

For me it worked out like this :

All prices in British pounds 

Rims:

180 +150 = 330

Spokes and nipples : 150

Assembly : 50 per wheel plus 20 per wheel punching wholes in rims.

Total for wheels : 620 

Tyres and tubes plus fitting 180. 

All of the above is not the cheapest way of getting these done if you choose smpro rims and spokes package you can get them done cheaper. 

Parts that are not on the shelf for the conversion are the ABS rings which I have laser cut and you get an accurate speedo withing 2 to 3 miles per hour and a working ABS. 

I can make these for people if there is enough interest no problem. 

Suspension setup needs to be softer than stock on the front to compensate for the stiffer 17 tyre and rim. 

I have set up my sag and with 90nm spring it now handles great. 

Forks are flushed with the triples as the bike was a bit twitchy mid corner and I like to tell the bike where to go not the bike to lean into corners... Handles amazing and the extra tyre front and back let's you push the bike more on braking and on corner exit. 

With these tyres I have yet to reach the limit on public roads but with the 21 front I have had some slippage from the front end... 

If you are only doing street or can afford both sets of wheels I would recommend this mod as it has transformed the bike. It surprises a lot of bikes on the road and with this engine and a nice set up suspension this is the ultimate carving machine for canyon, mountain and twisty roads. 

Height of the bike has dropped probably 46mm from stock and I have made side stand but didn't like the lean on it so I use the stock one... Works OK no problems so far. 

Sprocket has been changed to 16t to get back to stock gearing... With 15t it was to high revving and in my opinion loosing momentum out of corners... Now it is perfect. 

Front fender is stock and moved one bolt down in the brackets, works OK but needs cutting down on the back. I'm happy with the looks... The brake lines are still attached to the fender as stock but the bracket between the forks on the triple has been spaced out with washers. 

Once I get some time on my hand I will develop for myself small brackets to fill the holes in the stock fender or if someone on this forum makes the mt10 fender work might go that route.. For now I'm happy with the look. 

I hope I haven't forgotten anything... Now to pictures :

IMG_20200413_184205_552.jpg

IMG_20200411_104817-01.jpeg

IMG_20200521_160544-01.jpeg

IMG_20200402_180056__01-01.jpeg

IMG_20200508_123205-01.jpeg

IMG_20200529_200309_663.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic and informative write up Aleks. Lots of people will benefit from this.

Thanks

Rich

• Like 1

Being a bit of a WRR/X fan 😂 I was immediately wondering how soon we’d see the Tenere 700 Sumo and of course when I looked yours was the one that popped up. Fantastic looking machine and write up for sure. With the lower center of gravity and wider tires I can imagine how it corners and accelerates out if them.. unlike the WRX which passes sport bikes in the corners but is lost afterwards. Thanks for sharing the setup. 👍🏻

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adrenolin said:

Being a bit of a WRR/X fan 😂 I was immediately wondering how soon we’d see the Tenere 700 Sumo and of course when I looked yours was the one that popped up. Fantastic looking machine and write up for sure. With the lower center of gravity and wider tires I can imagine how it corners and accelerates out if them.. unlike the WRX which passes sport bikes in the corners but is lost afterwards. Thanks for sharing the setup. 👍🏻

Thank you very much for the compliments... It does ride very nice and the chassis and suspension love the punishment in corners..engine allows me to accelerate early in the corner and drive the bike out with an immense smile... 

Almost perfect setup now.. Waiting for the risers to compensate with the rally seat.

Aleks 

IMG_20200601_183243.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest mod and definitely the way forward if your going to Supermoto your Tenere 700 is the R1 or Mt10 front mudguard. 

Installation is easy as long as you can drill some holes and have an eye for alignment... 

This is the best mod for making the bike look factory standard and it completes the job for me esthetically... 

Aleks 

IMG_20200612_183041.jpg

IMG_20200612_183012.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Alex for the summation. I found this post *after* going through all 9 pages of the other SM thread. :) You did catch everything, I think even more than the other thread since I didn't see mention of going back to stock kickstand.

I'm hoping to find someone in the USA that would build a set up tubeless, not shipping everything half way around the world. I've also been watching AndyJ's cast wheel build...

Thanks again for all the information sharing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotGoodAtUsrnms said:

Thank you Alex for the summation. I found this post *after* going through all 9 pages of the other SM thread. 🙂You did catch everything, I think even more than the other thread since I didn't see mention of going back to stock kickstand.

I'm hoping to find someone in the USA that would build a set up tubeless, not shipping everything half way around the world. I've also been watching AndyJ's cast wheel build...

Thanks again for all the information sharing.

No worries always here to help... I'm sure there are wheelbuilders in us that can sort out 90 percent of the jobs. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After many miles of test riding and getting the suspension sorted out here are some final thoughts and how the bike now sits with what I think is the ultimate setup... Front forks have now been raised and are 10 mm higher than the triples, springs from ktech 6.3nm and the compression on the back is maxed and then minus 3... Plus 90nm spring.... This is the recommendation of @Rich TTafter testing the bikes back to back we realised mine wasn't great on the back but the front was good, the only complain I had was a slower turn in then usual due to me raising the triple and getting it to behave very stable but not responding to sharp cornering... Long story short this works and works really well... The bike feels planted and turn in is  mega quick but it doesn't drop into corners which I love, could be more aggressive if you need to but for now I'll stick with this until we get the steering damper..

The back has made the bike stable at high speed and it is now confidence inspiring to ride it... 👍... It now definitely handles close to a hardcore supermoto and I'm confident it will get better. 

Aleks 

20200802134923_IMG_1224.jpg

20200802134614_IMG_1216.jpg

20200802135546_IMG_1229.jpg

20200731133618_IMG_1161.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Goodmorning from Greece! im excited that i see that other people have the same thoughts with me. first eye and i love it! 

please i need those rims with full disk brakes and back rim gear and tires of course ..what is going to be the cost of those ? waiting for your reply

Edited by Soulis_GR

You have brought an old thread back to life.

Here is my take on a Supermoto T7.

These are wheels from an MT-07.

I bought this kit from ebay: 

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Tenere 700 Supermoto MT07 Wheel Conversion Kit at the best online prices at eBay!

With this kit:

1. The rear wheel bolts straight up to the bike with no modifiaction required (fit new ABS ring and use new spacers).

2. The front wheel requires machining to fit.  The kit details the machining requirements (or you can send the wheel to England).

I'm in Australia, so it was expensive to send the wheel to England, so I found somebody local to do it. 

All up, the wheels, kit and machining cost me about $1100 AUD.  New tyres cost me $650 AUD.

NOTE:  This bike commutes during the week and goes off road on week-ends.  I can swap both wheels in about 40 minutes now.

The conversion uses the same brake discs as the T7.  New ABS rings are supplied in the kit (to allow for the change in wheel size).  New wheel spacers are also included.

PXL_20230730_044131579A.jpg

PXL_20230730_044145171A.jpg

PXL_20230814_024858534A.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my moto.. such a beauty .. with the supermoto rims I'm gonna do 🤪  things on road

20230730_092104.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey, awesome setup! 

How is the satbility on higher speeds with the 17 inch front? Would the 19 inch front rim be a better or worse option? 

• 4 weeks later...

I love this thread!

First time using a forum so please be gentle if I've broken some etiquette I'm unaware of.

I have a question regarding the gearing when dropping to 17" wheels... I read that changing up to a 16tooth front balances out the ratio and works well but couldn't find any info on the rear sprocket size.  Is the 16 front to be paired with the standard size MT-07 rear (43 tooth I believe) or the T700 rear (46 tooth) ? 

Any info would be gratefully received. 

Cheers,

Ross