Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Coolant tank loose cap

Louis

Hi all, was working on the T7 and  I noticed the rubber cap on the coolant tank was NOT seating correctly. It looked OK but not properly on. This is on the Left side of the bike. This will enable loss of coolant especially when fallen over. Could also allow crap being introduced to the cooling system. PLEASE CHECK often. 

First photo shows it completely off. Second is properly seating. 

Second photo shows kinked hose! It needed to be pulled out a little. 😉

15910718467965128604194289725052.jpg

1591071891834348596004294255995.jpg

Edited by Louis
Update information
  • Like 3

Yes found this three times now, I’m going to make a simple keeper to solve the issue.

5 hours ago, Louis said:

Hi all, was working on the T7 and  I noticed the rubber cap on the coolant tank was NOT seating correctly. It looked OK but not properly on. This is on the Left side of the bike. This will enable loss of coolant especially when fallen over. Could also allow crap being introduced to the cooling system. PLEASE CHECK often. 

First photo shows it completely off. Second is properly seating. 

15910718467965128604194289725052.jpg

1591071891834348596004294255995.jpg

I'll check mine when I get home, thank you for letting us know... Zip tie will sort it out if needed a cheap solution. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

I think I might have dislodged it when washing the bike. It is NOT very positively held in place. So check it out often. 

Well as I mentioned I have found my cap loose 3 times, ifs very easily dislodged.

i have made a very simple keeper from HDPE and a rubber grommets.  Problem solved

0E6B614A-627C-437C-983D-A3B576EE1A59.jpeg

3CA1570B-4D71-4AE7-92ED-FEBCE3044A6C.jpeg

• Like 5

• Premium Member

MT-10’s have the exact same crappy rubber cap; which you must pull down all the way over and round the ridge of the bottle to get it on right. It is a bit of dickey rubber cap.

• Like 1

So came out to the garage and decided to look at the cap on my WRR which appears to be the same cap. I own 2 WRRs and 1 WRX. I beat the crap out of one of these WRRs and have never had the problem with the caps coming off. This bike has been dropped, pushed, flipped and rolled over and I’d still leave for a cross country trip on it today. Blows my mind how amazing these machines are. 

I’m wondering if possibly the OEM hoses could simply be to short. In your original photo above with it pressed down in place the hose going to the radiator is noticeably kinked downward and if pulling could easily pop it off occasionally.  🤔

437180EC-D957-4CCB-841E-5E0A913DF1F3.jpeg

Btw.. it appears the T7 is missing the clip on the horizontal coming off the cap where the WRR has one here. 

The kinked hose in my photo is long  enough to give a sweeping bend. Was just making photos for the forum. Good pickup though Adrenolin, MAKE SURE THAT THE HOSES ARE NOT KINKED! I have updated original post for good information. 

15911392618393510685445722486152.jpg

• Like 1

Found mine was loose and the cap was just sitting there. I cut a bicycle tube up and glued some Velcro on the ends then velcroed around the plastic tank pulled the rubber and velcroed it tight. Problem is the tank is angled the Velcro works well I recommend glueing Velcro right around the tank so it can’t come loose, now it puts pressure on the cap evenly downwards and it’s only rubber and Velcro and can’t damage the tank 

5BC92829-2DD5-43FB-B879-CA1F5A4AD13D.jpeg

6F662EFD-BEBB-4088-9788-7DF7A446D5A5.jpeg

Edited by Southcoastbiker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Dropped my bike on the right side and noticed some coolant upon picking it up.  I was initially worried the water pump or hoses may have been damaged despite having protective covers.  Found this post while looking for issues (as well as another on an MT07) and, sure enough, my cap was off on less than a year old bike.  Looks like another keeper to be made.  I have a WRX/R also and never have had any such issue.

It was a little loose, like one side had popped up a bit!  I'll look for a mod, the pix above don't load anymore.

Although the HDPE/grommet solution looked slicker than the bicycle inner tube solution, I went with a reusable zip tie for a no tool KISS solution.  It's not going anywhere anymore.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/8/2023 at 3:24 AM, e010584 said:

Although the HDPE/grommet solution looked slicker than the bicycle inner tube solution, I went with a reusable zip tie for a no tool KISS solution.  It's not going anywhere anymore.

@e010584 You KISS-ed it 😂.